Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Roberies in Portmarnock

Options
  • 01-10-2009 12:33am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,679 ✭✭✭

Hi folks,

Just to let you all know, there's been at least 7 burglaries in the area in the last 2 nights (monday and tuesday nights), so bolt the doors, porches, and set the alarms. They've even been hitting houses in well lit-up areas, I think last night (tuesday) a few houses on wheatfield road were done (for the uninformed, it is quite a long road with lamp posts all the way up on both sides- hardly inconspicious). Also, I heard that the scum knock on the kettle when they get into your house, so if you do happen to catch them in the act, them throw boiling water at you. Pure vermin. Anyway, just letting you all know, hope you don't have the misfortune.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,409 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

That kettle thing, pure scum.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭MysticalSoul

Thanks for the heads up

• Closed Accounts Posts: 303 ✭✭Discostuy

Just a heads up

One of the lads was caught on Tuesday night...they casually walk around checking houses, not a bother on them.

Anyway 1 old fella was caught by the Guards...he was believed to be working with 2-3 other young lads who managed to flee.

They usually wear hoodies and use latex gloves...so if you see dudes just hanging around or walking in and out of driveways call the guards.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭Martron

friends of mine that live in balbriggan said there is a rise there too.

hope they catch them as nobody has the right to take anything that is mine!!! ( apart from the gf taking it ...... but i suppose in that case it was never mine to start with ha ha)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,679 ✭✭✭hidinginthebush

Discostuy wrote: »
    Just a heads up

One of the lads was caught on Tuesday night...they casually walk around checking houses, not a bother on them.

Anyway 1 old fella was caught by the Guards...he was believed to be working with 2-3 other young lads who managed to flee.

They usually wear hoodies and use latex gloves...so if you see dudes just hanging around or walking in and out of driveways call the guards.

Glad to hear one of them was caught. You didn't hear if they were from around the area by any chance? [PM me if you feel like sharing the name, cheers]

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/rtes-whelan-falls-victim-to-car-thieves-1901132.html

TV PERSONALITY Marty Whelan fell victim to burglars who broke into his Dublin home and then drove off in his Mercedes.

Thieves struck around 6.30am on Monday morning, singling out the home of the popular RTE star in Portmarnock, in north Dublin.

They first broke in through a back door and snatched the keys to his silver Mercedes saloon car before driving off in it. It is not known if anything else was taken from the house.

Gardai would only confirm that they were investigating a burglary in the area. "Inquiries are ongoing," they said.

The stolen Mercedes was later found closeby.

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭Jenroche

It's happening in Harmonstown too. A few houses on my road were hit and a neiighbour said she saw two fellas 'casing' our house while we were out the other day. Bloody scary! Where the hell are the police when people need them? :mad:

Jen ;->

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,445 ✭✭✭Absurdum

Also, I heard that the scum knock on the kettle when they get into your house, so if you do happen to catch them in the act, them throw boiling water at you.

that's handy, fresh cup of tea after shotgun blast to face

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭DancingQueen:)

Hi folks,

Also, I heard that the scum knock on the kettle when they get into your house, so if you do happen to catch them in the act, them throw boiling water at you. Pure vermin. Anyway, just letting you all know, hope you don't have the misfortune.

How do they think of these things? That's horrible :(

• Registered Users Posts: 738 ✭✭✭focus_mad

I was doing deliveries the other night in Portmarnock and everytime I drove by them they kept pieballing me, so I pulled over to them and they legged it.. Must be your buddies!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

Apparently there are a lot of burglaries lately in Malahide, Portmarnock and Swords.

17 robberies in Portmarnock in the last week or so. All during the day and by the same gang. I've heard they wear hoodies also. And apparently its a case of the Gardai waiting to catch them as they know who they are.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

Larianne wrote: »
    Apparently there are a lot of burglaries lately in Malahide, Portmarnock and Swords.

17 robberies in Portmarnock in the last week or so. All during the day and by the same gang. I've heard they wear hoodies also. And apparently its a case of the Gardai waiting to catch them as they know who they are.
    BRILLIANT! They know who they are and the lads are still at it. What a bin of a country.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

The kettle thing is not true to the best of my knowledge. If anyone had had a kettle of boiling water tipped on them I think we'd all know about it. I have heard of it being used as a threat before "give me your car keys or this goes over you" kind of thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭catch--22

My parents house in Rush got done over about a month ago. They didn't damage anything (apart from a window to get in) and took some of the more noticeable items (TV etc). Quick in and out job really.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

Also a house in Seatown, Swords done recently and the carpet and floorbeds taken up. Guess they're looking for secret stashes!

http://www.fingal-independent.ie/news/garda-warning-over-burglaries-increase-1925596.html
    wrote:
    GARDAÍ in Swords are 'paying special attention' to burglaries in the area after nine incidents of the crime in just five days last week.

The burglaries included four committed in different parts of Swords on a single day on October 20th.

Local gardaí have noted an increase in burglaries in Swords in recent times and have noted that patio doors at the rear of properties are particularly vulnerable to attack. Only small amounts were taken in each of the nine robberies committed in the area between October 18th and October 22nd inclusive but it marks a recent upward trend in the incidence of burglaries in Swords.

The report follows on from last week's alert sent out by a resident of St Cronan's estate who warned her neighbours in Swords that thieves were targetting properties in the area and needed only a small window of opportunity in an empty house to strike.

Ransacked

Her house in St Cronan's was only empty for one hour when thieves entered through a window and ransacked the Swords home, stealing some precious jewellery that the Swords woman had inherited from her late mother. The Swords woman said she had been 'sickened' by the thought of strangers rifling through her home and said that the local community had to be more alert to the thieves who were clearly watching properties in the area.

She said that local gardaí were 'absolutely brilliant' and spent a lot of time pounding the beat in the area but the community at large had to help if the robberies were to be stopped.

She appealed for vigilance and said she felt strongly she needed to take some action in response to what happened to her and her neighbours.

'I won't become a victim in my home' - that was the defiant message the Swords woman, who wished to remain anonymous, sent out to the heartless thieves.

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭Alan Farrell

This came up at the Joint Policing Committee meeting last night in Malahide (which I chaired up to last month). Malahide Gardai made an arrest yesterday of "one of the main perpetrators" so hopefully this will curtail some of the problems in Portmarnock.

Malahide Station has a very active Neighbourhood Watch Scheme and to my knowledge at least, very active Community Gardai who can advise as how to prevent or deter criminals. Their number is 6664600.

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭jrd

Thanks Alan for the information. It's very helpful to have you posting here.

We were the victims of a double car robbery at the end of August. So it's good to hear that progress has been made. For info, the Malahide Gardai were very prompt in coming down to take details etc. Almost surprised ;-) For info, one of the cards turned up over in Ronanstown 4 weeks later, but fortunately we had settled with the insurance company.

^^ You were lucky. I was talking to a guy from Swords who had his Golf GTI stolen 2 weeks ago and the insurance company wouldnt entertain his claim untill the car was missing for a full month.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭Vanbis

Sizzler wrote: »
    ^^ You were lucky. I was talking to a guy from Swords who had his Golf GTI stolen 2 weeks ago and the insurance company wouldnt entertain his claim untill the car was missing for a full month.

I would imagine they stole the keys from inside the house to get that car?

• Advertisement

Sizzler wrote: »

Another neighbour had his car stolen on the same night, same gang. He was 6 weeks in a rental car. Unbelievable. We were lucky indeed.

Vanbis wrote: »

The modus operandi is to 'fish' the keys out through the letter box. They walk up to each door and look inside to see if there are keys on the hall table. No prizes for what I would recommend to everyone reading this :rolleyes:

Mind you, the local keycutter said to me Saturday that one gang have a special piece of kit which allows them to get the keys if in the lock inside the house :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭Alan Farrell

jolly wrote: »
    Thanks Alan for the information. It's very helpful to have you posting here.

No problem. That's what I'm here for!

As a matter of interest, where is Ronanstown?

My folks had their car stolen from outside the Grand Hotel a few years ago, took the insurance company 6 weeks to pay out on the claim. Was found by a Garda neighbour burnt out in Ballymun the following night.

Vanbis wrote: »
    Yup. They broke in through the back door, didnt touch anything else, just wanted the keys of the golf.Nobody heard or saw a thing.
    As a matter of interest, where is Ronanstown?
    Its in Clondalkin. An absolute bin. Would make Darndale look like Beverley Hiils ;)

jolly wrote: »
    The modus operandi is to 'fish' the keys out through the letter box. They walk up to each door and look inside to see if there are keys on the hall table. No prizes for what I would recommend to everyone reading this :rolleyes:

Mind you, the local keycutter said to me Saturday that one gang have a special piece of kit which allows them to get the keys if in the lock inside the house :eek:
    Bit of a catch 22 situation there. Obviously leaving the keys on the hall table is not a good idea but if the scumbags really wanted your car and you brought the keys up to bed with you.....well it wouldnt be a pleasant experience if you were woken up that way :(

• Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

The advice I heard was if you have a really nice car that you should leave the keys on the stairs. That way if they break in they're not gonna disturb you (violently or otherwise) to get them.

My car is crap enough not to be worth robbing. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 49 victor11

Good advice there. Never take your keys to bed with you. Always leave them out on the kitchen table or stairs.
    Lock your inner doors also. Good sensor lights and an additional lock on Patio doors are a must

FYI - Looks like the recent arrests in Malahide have done nothing to stem the tide :mad:

http://www.fingal-independent.ie/news/burglars-fish-for-house-keys-1932000.html
    wrote:
    SWORDS gardaí have called for vigilance after a recent wave of burglaries continued across the Fingal capital last week, bringing the total number to 16 in the last fortnight. Five break-ins occurred in the town between Monday 26th and Wednesday 28th last week, while a number of cars were also stolen.

And two more burglaries took place on Friday, October 30th, after the perpetrators reached through the letterboxes of two homes in Glen Ellen and 'fished' out the keys, while a car was stolen earlier in the same week through the same method.

It's the second time in two months instances of 'fishing' have been reported, where thieves open letterbox flaps and pull through keys, using long poles, such as fishing rods. Gardaí have since warned residents not to leave keys or valuables within easy reach.

'Burglaries are still on the rise,' a senior garda told the Fingal Independent. ' We would urge people not to leave their keys near their letterboxes.' A house in Brackenstown was broken into on Bank Holiday Monday, with three targeted the following day, Tuesday, October 27th in Castlegrange, Abbeylea and Bride's Glen and another burgled on Wednesday, October 28th in Boroimhe.

A car was also broken into in the Boroimhe area on Monday, October 26th, while a second vehicle was stolen from Ridgewood the following night, after thieves 'used an implement' to take the keys through the letterbox, three days before the two 'fishing' burglaries in Glen Ellen.

The latest spate comes just a week after gardaí said they were ' paying special attention' to burglaries in the area after nine break-ins in a five-day spell, last month.

Rear patio doors were said to be particularly vulnerable to attack. Gardaí, meanwhile, are said to be following a 'definite line of enquiry' in relation to the most recent crimes.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Keego27

Jenroche wrote: »
    It's happening in Harmonstown too. A few houses on my road were hit and a neiighbour said she saw two fellas 'casing' our house while we were out the other day. Bloody scary! Where the hell are the police when people need them? :mad:

Jen ;->

There has been a number of burglaries in the Beaumont/Artane area over the past 7 days. I came home and heard burglars getting out my back bedroom window. That is certainly a good question about where the Police are when you need them. It took them 2 hours and 40 mins to come to my house after I reported my burglary

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 738 ✭✭✭focus_mad

Just for people to be aware on St Margarets Road, Malahide there have been two cases of "intruders" in people's back gardens. the road is full of old couples so my house is prob down the pecking order at the min (2 big fellas living here) but ya never know!! Baseball bats to the ready...lol

Advertisement