Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Clubs upgrading & offloading equipment?

• 01-10-2009 1:31am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,791 ✭✭✭

With the CDJ 2000s out, I imagine most of the big clubs will be upgrading to them eventually, even if it's not for a while. When they do, the clubs will have 2/3 1000s to get rid of, would you say they would be selling them off cheap?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Jay D

In answer to your question, no.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,460 ✭✭✭workaccount

With the CDJ 2000s out, I imagine most of the big clubs will be upgrading to them eventually, even if it's not for a while. When they do, the clubs will have 2/3 1000s to get rid of, would you say they would be selling them off cheap?

Backups, people involved in the clubs buying them for themselves or their mates and lastly market value to the second hand market I'd imagine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Stab*City

i dont think so.. seeing as how long it actually takes irish clubs to even upgrade anything.. its not like they are waiting on new kit to be released just so they can accomadate the dj... most clubs would rather the dj go out and buy them id say!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 382 ✭✭acman

Even though the CDJ 2000s are undoubtedly the most amazing CDJ to date, I think Pioneer are flogging a dead horse. Most DJ's are using some form of laptop based DJing software nowadays (Ableton, Traktor etc.) making the whole CDJ thing redundant.

I don't think clubs will be upgrading to a costly piece of hardware that most DJ's won't even use. Funny how people are still squabbling over the CDJ / Vinyl issue when in reality, both formats are a thing of the past. Vinyls will always be around but CDJing is dying a quick death...whatsmore, you will find that most CDJ DJ's will embrace the digital age much quicker than your average Vinyl enthusiast.

Bottom line...CDJing is on its death bed, I seriously doubt clubs will be upgrading and if they do, the club owners staff / mates will be the first to grab the old ones.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,373 ✭✭✭Executive Steve

acman wrote: »
    Even though the CDJ 2000s are undoubtedly the most amazing CDJ to date, I think Pioneer are flogging a dead horse. Most DJ's are using some form of laptop based DJing software nowadays (Ableton, Traktor etc.) making the whole CDJ thing redundant.

I don't think clubs will be upgrading to a costly piece of hardware that most DJ's won't even use. Funny how people are still squabbling over the CDJ / Vinyl issue when in reality, both formats are a thing of the past. Vinyls will always be around but CDJing is dying a quick death...whatsmore, you will find that most CDJ DJ's will embrace the digital age much quicker than your average Vinyl enthusiast.

Bottom line...CDJing is on its death bed, I seriously doubt clubs will be upgrading and if they do, the club owners staff / mates will be the first to grab the old ones.

I've never seen anyone use Ableton or Traktor in a club, and I go out two or three times a week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭jtsuited

yeah really can't see the cdj2000 taking off. from a club's perspective anywho. And they're a good bit too pricy for the home market imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭jtsuited

I've never seen anyone use Ableton or Traktor in a club, and I go out two or three times a week.

Really? Seems everywhere I go I see Traktor. In my ideal world everyone would be on vinyl (simply because i hate dj's looping and all that) but with the cost etc., it's just not viable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 382 ✭✭acman

:confused:

I dont know what clubs you go to but evidently you have never seen any of these famous faces in action:

http://www.native-instruments.com/#/en/products/dj/traktor-scratch-pro/?page=249

ah now in fairness man you are either sarcastic or blind, or both! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭Táck

he's blind to sarcasm

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,791 ✭✭✭electrogrimey

Jay D wrote: »

I've been going out and going to DJ gigs about twice a week for years, and only one in a while do I see someone using a laptop. Toxic Avenger there the other night was using a laptop and MIDI, and then Noze at Picnic I think were using laptops, but nearly everyone else is still using CDJs...Just listing some people I've seen recently using them: Erol, Boys Noize, Crookers, Boy 8 Bit, Diplo, Kavinsky, Justice, 2manyDJs, Japanese Popstars, Vitalic, then the regular DJs in Antics, Trashed, Noize, Spy/Wax, Button Factory all use them...I agree that some people do use software, but definitely most are still using CDJs, and I imagine the big ones might request that the clubs get the 2000s.

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭Klim

I was working as a floorboy years ago in a club. The club had big renovations, so I asked the owner what was happening the 1210s, as they weren't exactly pristine. He said they'd be kept as back up ones to the new ones. Fair do's. So imagine how great it was to see them sticking out of the skip on opening night, getting drenched, and covered in plaster etc, smashed to pieces.
    I honestly could've cried. When I asked, the owner said they forgot to shift them during the renovations so they got damaged, and they chucked them!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 282 ✭✭Quiggers

Personally i'm not keen on the pioner decks, or mixers, they seem to fall to bits in the club enviroment, the power switchs are gone on the ones where i'm working this saturday night, just wires twisted together now, and the headphone jack on the mixer is dodgy to say the least,
    plus it gave me a shock last time i was there, so i'll be running straight
    off my laptop to the pa this time.

its mad, my cd players and mixer cost about €1000 and have gigged reliably for 8 years without a broken part yet €4000 worth of pioneer "pro"
    gear seems to be in tatters in most pubs n clubs in the country.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,528 ✭✭✭copeyhagen

you havent been ibiza this year.

space = macbooks and ableton for almost every dj

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 753 ✭✭✭badboyblast

Would you really want any decks or mixers that have been hammered in a club for ages....ammm no thanks:D

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭Klim

Would you really want any decks or mixers that have been hammered in a club for ages....ammm no thanks:D

If you ask me, the equipment in a club gets less use than the average bedroom jocks gear. Plus I know some of them get their stuff checked every year for maintanance. I'd bite their hands off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Jay D wrote: »

The only DJ I can think of that I've seen using a laptop in recent years would be DJ Marky, DJ Sneak and Jon Averil... Every other one sticks to the trusty CDJ1000s/SL1210s

copeyhagen wrote: »
    you havent been ibiza this year.

space = macbooks and ableton for almost every dj

http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=1220546629031

Extremely true

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Stab*City

pioneer are seriously overated...

Advertisement