Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garlic

Options
  • 01-10-2009 8:36am
    Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,092 ✭✭✭✭

Just planted my first cloves of Garlic yesterday. What kind of attention do they need? Water every 2 weeks? They're in the kitchen window, south facing. Any advice?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭Thanos

Like any plant they do not like to dry out, so the fact that they are in a south facing window means they could dry out quicker.
    I would be inclined to water every 2 to 3 days with a small amount making sure the soil does not become dry at any point.

It also depens on what they are planted in of course, a deep pot will be able to hold more moisture where as a shallow one will dry out quicker.......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

We've grown Garlic outside in half barrels with no real bother.. I've read it needs to be out in the frost or it won't divide into proper cloves but I'm not sure if this is true..
    I'd imagine if it was outside in the elements this time of year then you shouldnt need to worry about it too much...

I'd probably take it off the window and stand outside in a decent pot with a tray underneath... let it fend for its self for the moment..

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,092 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Right, I have 2 pots. 1 on the window sill, inside. And the other in a big wooden pot outside. The one inside has 5 shoots, and was planted start of October. The other planted end of October has 9 shoots. More were planted, but decided not to grow. They get plenty of water, and organic plant feed once a month. How does this sound? Good? Really happy with the outdoor ones, only saw 2 shoots up until a week ago, and now they're popping up all over the place. Will they be of outdoors? They're not covered and I'm afraid the weather will get to them and kill them.

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Black Dog

I think you may have some problem with the garlic which you planted indoors. To the best of my knowledge garlic needs a cold period to initiate the bulb formation and splitting into cloves. Perhaps, you could put your pots outside for a few weeks of the winter and bring back indoors in spring.

I grow a lot of garlic, almost a full year's supply, and it is all outdoors.

Black Dog wrote: »

I grow a lot of garlic, almost a full year's supply, and it is all outdoors.

How many do you plant? How many bulbs are in a years supply? I go through alot of garlic, love throwing a couple of cloves in with nearly every dish. I found that the ones brought in from South America or China have lost their strength/flavour. Hence growing my own.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭dh0661

beertons wrote: »
    I found that the ones brought in from South America or China have lost their strength/flavour.

In my local greengrocers they have purple/pink garlic that has a real punch (strength/flavour) no comparison to the yuck white stuff.
    I've noticed that it lasts (not sprouting) much longer than the Chinese white garlic.

I bought some during the summer hoping to get it sprouting and grow my own and despite leaving some in the hot press I am still waiting waiting for some shoots.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,969 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

Bought mine from here a few weeks ago, good value;

http://www.thegarlicfarm.co.uk/

• Registered Users Posts: 5,118 ✭✭✭John mac

beertons wrote: »
    How many do you plant? How many bulbs are in a years supply? I go through alot of garlic, love throwing a couple of cloves in with nearly every dish. I found that the ones brought in from South America or China have lost their strength/flavour. Hence growing my own.

I planted 6 bulbs last ( about 40 plants) year and still have quite a few bulbs hanging up in the garage.

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭TravelJunkie

Ours grew outside through hard winter no problem. Good soil though. Previous indoor plants didn't do so well.

Ok guys. Would the garlic be ready for harvesting yet? I'd say the bad weather caused harm to them, soil was frozen for some time. I've kept watering them, and adding the organic food. I pulled up one of them a month ago and it looked wrotten. It was still a clove, I thought it would grow into a bulb.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,969 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

Plant them in frosty weather. Harvest them in summer.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,497 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

you harvest them when the leaves turn yellow, usually.

Advertisement