Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tax Increases part of their solution.

Options
  • 01-10-2009 9:12am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 755 ✭✭✭

So, this is the great plan of ICTU!
    Beg the EU to extend the timeline, and of course... hammer the higher earners even more.

Do these nitwits understand how money flows in an economy?

As George Hook said yesterday. The union bosses would have you believe that if you earn over 75k a year, you are a bad person!

I was (slightly) impressed by Cowen on newstalk though. When he said that the people he was listening to most, were the job creators, the entrepeneurs... perhaps he may show some backbone yet!

What has he got to loose??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Amhran Nua

optocynic wrote: »
    I was (slightly) impressed by Cowen on newstalk though. When he said that the people he was listening to most, were the job creators, the entrepeneurs... perhaps he may show some backbone yet!
    Talk is cheap, unless its an apology for spivvery, with these lads, then its like getting water from a turnip.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 755 ✭✭✭optocynic

Amhran Nua wrote: »
    Talk is cheap, unless its an apology for spivvery, with these lads, then its like getting water from a turnip.

I agree, talk is cheap.
    But, maybe, himself and Lenihan, in the next budget, just might b!tch slap the blackmailing unions.

I can always hope!
    But hope is cheap too!

But hope is cheap too!
    Not if you lose it.

Not if you lose it.

What are your party's tax initiatives?

What are your party's tax initiatives?
    Short term increases long term decreases in a nutshell. Although as the figures get more detailed its looking like we might not have to raise much extra tax. Expenditure has quadrupled in the last ten years - if we were at 2004 levels right now we'd be breaking even, which is not that hard to do.

• Advertisement

Short term increases long term decreases in a nutshell. Although as the figures get more detailed its looking like we might not have to raise much extra tax. Expenditure has quadrupled in the last ten years - if we were at 2004 levels right now we'd be breaking even, which is not that hard to do.

That is what I also expect. It seems rational and sound. There is of-course the issue of lower paid Public Sector workers who cannot afford to be hit again. They are living beyond what should be their means, but that is not their fault... oit is the faoult of th unions and social partnership farce!

We are in the higher bracket now, what do you propose for the next budget for me and my wife? I am just curious.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭ei.sdraob

increases in what?

* corpo tax?
    * income tax?
    * vat?
    * capital gains?
    * introducing new taxes like property/carbon/water?

do elaborate...

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,848 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

How much extra will the ICTU's plan bring in?
    I would doubt that it would net that much unless they were to be savage and undermine businesses even further (they are paying quite a bit already to the point that many are barely able to survive).

kbannon wrote: »
    How much extra will the ICTU's plan bring in?
    I would doubt that it would net that much unless they were to be savage and undermine businesses even further (they are paying quite a bit already to the point that many are barely able to survive).

Do you think ICTU care about private sector business?

We are in the higher bracket now, what do you propose for the next budget for me and my wife? I am just curious.
    That would entirely depend on how successful the austerity measures in other areas are. Go Dutch on healthcare, save €10 billion minimum, lets go mad and say €12 billion, thats half your problem solved right there. Take 20% off social welfare, thats a whopping €40 a week leaving the average recipient in receipt of €160 a week plus other allowances (with means testing and other austerity measures, for example adjusting rental allowance to account for lower rents), very doable, brings your savings up to €16 billion, and cut back the quangos and general built up excess, level pension schemes between the public and private sectors, you have minimum another €4 billion saved.

So that only leaves you with a €4 billion shortfall annually, very few people let go, no tax increases, and the record low tax returns of a recessionary environment means you can make up the difference in actual tax when things turn up. Assuming we don't take any stimulus measures ourselves, which we will be doing.
    ei.sdraob wrote: »
    increases in what?

* corpo tax?
    * income tax?
    * vat?
    * capital gains?
    * introducing new taxes like property/carbon/water?

do elaborate...
    Well beyond the measures mentioned above, here is a graph showing the tax revenue as of August 2009.:

taxaug09.jpg

By looking at that you can get a good idea where the shortfall, if there is one, can be made up by small increases. Specifically mentioned in the policies is a property tax on a sliding scale (although NO tax on the PPR is on the cards), intended to discourage rampant speculation but not enough to damage the rental market.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,888 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

Do you think ICTU care about private sector business?

ICTU represents the private sector too you know....in fact they represent far more private sector than public sector

Riskymove wrote: »
    ICTU represents the private sector too you know....in fact they represent far more private sector than public sector

I have heard that on numerous occassions. So why are they attempting to strangle private sector business? That is all their 'solution' will achieve.

I would also like to see the level of support they have from the private sector workers they 'represent'.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,888 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

I would also like to see the level of support they have from the private sector workers they 'represent'.

well I guess we'll have to see how any march or protest goes

there were many private unions at the last march if I recall the reporting of it correctly

Advertisement