Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mercedes C Class or BMW 5 Series??

• 01-10-2009 9:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭

We like both, but can't make up our mind. We're looking at 05/06 models, of which there is currently great value to be had out there.
    Any pro's cons we should know about? No preference to petrol or diesel as no daily long distance driving, and we're no too au fait with tax, but I assume its on the MOtortax website.

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,102 ✭✭✭✭Drummerboy08

A 05/06 C Class is well behind a 5 series IMO.

The BMW without a doubt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,152 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Oh the 5 series. Mercs can be expensive cars to service.

I also prefer the look of a 5 series over the C Class unless you plan on getting a good model C Class.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Indeed, 5 series=E Class, not C. The C/E are both better looking than the E60 5 series, pig-ugly car that it is. Give me a nice E39 over all of them though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

New model C-class is a lovely machine, and very good according to any review. However they're the rival for the 3-series, the E-Class is the 5-series rival. So it's something to consider, the 5-Series is a good bit more spacious by virtue of that fact. 05 or 06 is the old model C class though, which isn't spectacular.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Stevie Dakota

5 series without a shadow of a doubt.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 246 ✭✭beachlife

Berty wrote: »
    Oh the 5 series. Mercs can be expensive cars to service.

I also prefer the look of a 5 series over the C Class unless you plan on getting a good model C Class.

The new 5 series is a disaster when it comes to maintenance,all i can say is if you get an engine management light on get it back to bmw straight away!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,741 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

That's the old model C-class, which is nothing much to write home about, although it's a decent respectable car. The current model 5-series is much bigger, and much better to drive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,466 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

I dont think you should compare even the new C Class to the 5 series. The one you are considering is the old C Class against what is still the current 5 series. No comparison really.
    You should be careful with the decision on what engine you go for. If you are considering resale, get a diesel. These cars will not be taxed on the new system so you will be looking at paying €600 approx for a 2.0L engine and somewhere around 1300 for 3.0L.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭millymoo

Thanks fr all the feedback ;)
    I understand the comparables are not great and that E is equal to 5 etc...we're were just thinking that our budget is 15k tops and you would only be getting maybe and 03 E Class whereas the 5 series is affordable at that budget.

I stand to be corrected!!

Advertisement