Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

wii firmware

Options
  • 01-10-2009 9:37am

hi - I haven't updated the firmware on my wii since I bought it so it's way back at version 3.1 (have been using twilight hack so didn't want to update)- what is the best way to update this so recent wiiware games will work etc. I have looked into the world of cios etc but it's all very confusing about which ones are needed and risks re bricking etc. Is there a clean way to do this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭animaX

First you should install bootmii, its like a failsafe in case you brick or whatever. Then you can get a "safe" 4.0 or 4.1 installer which will update the firmware but keep the homebrew channel etc. See the forums at gbatemp for info.

Whatever you do, avoid the latest firmware 4.2

thanks - can I do this in offline mode - i.e. download files on pc and transfer to wii - as I don't have a wireless connection to wii. thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭animaX

glasso wrote: »
    thanks - can I do this in offline mode - i.e. download files on pc and transfer to wii - as I don't have a wireless connection to wii. thanks.

Yes, there usually are offline methods but it could be tricky if you don't know where to get the required files.

eventually got wifi access and did this through safe updater 4.2 (saving using the bootmii thing first). However I then found out that some stuff didn't work and had to research other patches and apply them (some trucha bug thing). It's all a bit fiddly really between downloading stuff on pc and transferring to wii and using all sorts of custom software and patches - and I'm fairly literate with messing around with this sort of stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

Moved to console modding.

• Advertisement
Advertisement