Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice on removing plant roots

Options
  • 01-10-2009 9:48am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 38

Sorry for the newbite question. I have recently uprooted two sizeable plants from my back garden however i'm left with the two stumps of roots that are very difficult to remove with my basic tools.

Are there any suggestions on what is best to remove these and cut them down to at least to ground level (preferably below)? Or it is pure elbow grease that's needed? Thank you.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭Thanos

Think it is the hard graft that is needed here. I had a tree in our back garden when we moved in that i took down.

after taking it down to about 18 inches above ground (leaves a bit for leverage) I dug around the base removig as much soil as I could. Then I cut the roots about 6 to 12 inches below the surface.
    Tools i used were fork, spade and trowl to clear out the soil and axe and mini hacksaw to cut the roots.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 SunshineCyclist

Thanks Thanos! Yeah i'd say i'll just have to roll up sleeves for this one!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

How about a stump grinder...
    I think about €100 for a day..

stumpgrinder.jpg

Advertisement