Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Changing A3 for GTI?

• 01-10-2009 9:55am

I have an Audi A3 Sportback 1.9Tdi. 2005 with 58K Miles on it. I want to get a golf gti, prob 2005 or 06. I'm looking for the best combination of least hassle and most cost efficient way of going about doing this?
    1. Trade-in with a dealer who has a gti for sale?
    2. Straight sell of A3 and buy a gti somewhere else?
    obviously there's less hasssle in option 1 but I'm going to be paying for that - still the best way to go? Any other options - are there any sites for swapping cars?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Sell the A3 privately and put the proceeds towards the GTI.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,747 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

Are you allowed to move down the VAG brand scale like that? IMO, sell the A3 privately & buy another car whereever you like - depends on how long you are willing to wait to sell your current car.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Bluefoam wrote: »
    Are you allowed to move down the VAG brand scale like that? IMO, sell the A3 privately & buy another car whereever you like - depends on how long you are willing to wait to sell your current car.

1.9 TDi to a GTi wouldnt be a down scale in my book.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,663 ✭✭✭stealthyspeeder

lol at the VAG brand scale comment! althoutgh obviously the GTI is a better car! Sorry to go OT but I was wondering if you could just list the VAG brand scale in its current order!?

lol at the VAG brand scale comment! althoutgh obviously the GTI is a better car! Sorry to go OT but I was wondering if you could just list the VAG brand scale in its current order!?

I was taking the mickey, but out of interest it probably looks like this:
    (BTW I am not a VAG hound, so I'm not sure of all the brands)

Bugatti
    Bentley
    Lamborghini
    Audi
    Skoda
    VW
    Seat

(not sure where Scania fits in)

Ireland is a very brand consious place & I believe utterly in getting value & bang for buck - so I agree with the idea of getting a nicer car for a more reasonable price, even if the brand does not have as much cache...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

I was taking the mickey, but out of interest it probably looks like this:
    (BTW I am not a VAG hound, so I'm not sure of all the brands)

Bugatti
    Bentley
    Lamborghini
    Audi
    Skoda
    VW
    Seat

(not sure where Scania fits in)

Ireland is a very brand consious place & I believe utterly in getting value & bang for buck - so I agree with the idea of getting a nicer car for a more reasonable price, even if the brand does not have as much cache...

You forgot Mercedes!

glasso wrote: »
    I have an Audi A3 Sportback 1.9Tdi. 2005 with 58K Miles on it. I want to get a golf gti, prob 2005 or 06. I'm looking for the best combination of least hassle and most cost efficient way of going about doing this?
    1. Trade-in with a dealer who has a gti for sale?
    2. Straight sell of A3 and buy a gti somewhere else?
    obviously there's less hasssle in option 1 but I'm going to be paying for that - still the best way to go? Any other options - are there any sites for swapping cars?

You seem to have it pretty much figured out... by selling direct, you have the potential to make more from your own car, but you may take a while to sell it & may have a cross over period between selling your car and picking up the new one. With trade in, you get an easier transaction & have some power to negotiate with the dealer...

Advertisement