Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CCNA LAB

Options
  • 01-10-2009 10:03am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭

Folks,

Looking at this setup would it be suitable for CCNA ?

2 x 2500 router
    1 x 2600 router
    2 x catalyst 2900 series xL switches

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭sgthighway

I'm looking for a list of gear too. I have access to everything I need but I don't want to get too much gear; just enough for CCNA.
    I have the following gathered up so far:
    1x Cisco 4000
    2x Cisco 7200
    2x Cisco 2500
    1x Cisco 3600
    1x Cisco Catalyst 2900
    1x Cisco Catalyst 3500
    1x Cisco Catalyst 3550

• Registered Users Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭Col_Loki

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭mickman

guys with all due respect i hope ye are not buying these cisco products and you can get them for free. there is no need of hardware for the ccna, none at all. i even did the routing and switching exams on the ccnp without labs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭msg11

Packet tracer is fine for labs, I do all mine on them at home. In college I can get hands on, but it usually takes a lot longer wiring, booting and switching between COM ports (can be done threw a switch I know).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭rom

I am doing my CCNP and I don't have any hardware. I am using GNS for everything.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

I'm a big fan of emulation and GNS3+PEMU is an a amazing tool but you should still have a small lab of hardware to work on. For one GNS3/Dynamips does not directly emulate any Cisco switch, there is a simple switch module built in purely for connectivity between emulated devices you can also add a 'real' switch module to one of the emulated types that supports it (a 3640 is a very good choice) but it does not support all advanced layer 2 switching features and absolutely no layer 3 switching (which you do need for the professional level exams when they do come up).
    You can do a number of the exams from the books alone, and I'm not saying that is easy, but it will bite you in the ass later when you get an actual job that is supposed to use it and/or you are doing more advanced certifications where not just knowledge but speedy familiarity are a must. Lastly there is a lot to be said for having basic familiarity with the physical boxes, I kid you not that one of the guys I worked with hired a CCNP who proved knowledgeable during the interview and then took him on his first after-hours maintenance to the NOC, the guy had to ask which were the switches and which the routers....he didn't last long.

So basically if you're strapped for cash use GNS3 alone, if you can stretch it get one or 2 switches and routers, the cheapest that will do what you need. You can also use CCIE rack-rentals for some cheap temporary access to devices you won't need much but still need some practice on (I did this for my first IPS exam, studied for a month and then rented 6 hours on one the day before the exam).

I've done a few of the exams purely from the books (the CCNA, my first CCSP exam etc.) and I can tell you their value to me later was much lower than the ones where I actually had access to the equipment regardless of the fact that I passed the exams.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭NullZer0

rom wrote: »
    I am doing my CCNP and I don't have any hardware. I am using GNS for everything.

Best option IMO (well... dynamips)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭rom

_CreeD_ wrote: »
    I'm a big fan of emulation and GNS3+PEMU is an a amazing tool but you should still have a small lab of hardware to work on. For one GNS3/Dynamips does not directly emulate any Cisco switch, there is a simple switch module built in purely for connectivity between emulated devices you can also add a 'real' switch module to one of the emulated types that supports it (a 3640 is a very good choice) but it does not support all advanced layer 2 switching features and absolutely no layer 3 switching (which you do need for the professional level exams when they do come up).
    You can do a number of the exams from the books alone, and I'm not saying that is easy, but it will bite you in the ass later when you get an actual job that is supposed to use it and/or you are doing more advanced certifications where not just knowledge but speedy familiarity are a must. Lastly there is a lot to be said for having basic familiarity with the physical boxes, I kid you not that one of the guys I worked with hired a CCNP who proved knowledgeable during the interview and then took him on his first after-hours maintenance to the NOC, the guy had to ask which were the switches and which the routers....he didn't last long.

So basically if you're strapped for cash use GNS3 alone, if you can stretch it get one or 2 switches and routers, the cheapest that will do what you need. You can also use CCIE rack-rentals for some cheap temporary access to devices you won't need much but still need some practice on (I did this for my first IPS exam, studied for a month and then rented 6 hours on one the day before the exam).

I've done a few of the exams purely from the books (the CCNA, my first CCSP exam etc.) and I can tell you their value to me later was much lower than the ones where I actually had access to the equipment regardless of the fact that I passed the exams.

I agree with you also. I did my CCNA on Lab kit only in CIT in Cork. Rarely used packet tracer as it didn't teach me how to verify connections lose cables and what cable for what etc. So as I know how to cable up a few routers and switches I am not going to benefit a load from doing it every time for every lab in for the CCNP.

Also you have to bear in mind that
    1. These kit are loud and that can be hard when you are trying to study
    2. You have to re-cable each time.
    3. May need to use different IOS images etc.

I have all this running on 10.6 with a custom AppleScript that opens a folder rather than file so the the gns.ini and all working files are in that folder.

Makes it nice and easy for me.

Advertisement