Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need to buy 3 1gb add on

• 01-10-2009 10:10am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,277 ✭✭✭

Been having trouble accessing the net on a three handset (see other thread).

Just contacted three there and they told me I need to buy the 1gb €9.99 per month add on to get the internet, but there site says I can go PAYG 1mb for 49c, billed by the kilobyte - anyone else any info on this?

Cheers,,

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,248 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

if you can get to my 3 on your handset then you should be able to buy the add on, if not try loggging onto my 3 on the big internet https://my3.three.ie/mylogin//login?service=https%3A%2F%2Fmy3.three.ie%2Fmyaccount%2Findex.jsp

seen as you can get to planet 3 and do a google seach, download skype etc i'd be confident your internet settings are correct but all the above things are free and can be accessed without credit. Seen as you have credit the only thing I can think of that out of bundle data use is disabled on your account.

Your best to call them on 1913, the n86 is available on 3 so they might help you out even though it's not one you got from them..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,277 ✭✭✭km991148

if you can get to my 3 on your handset then you should be able to buy the add on, if not try loggging onto my 3 on the big internet https://my3.three.ie/mylogin//login?service=https%3A%2F%2Fmy3.three.ie%2Fmyaccount%2Findex.jsp

seen as you can get to planet 3 and do a google seach, download skype etc i'd be confident your internet settings are correct but all the above things are free and can be accessed without credit. Seen as you have credit the only thing I can think of that out of bundle data use is disabled on your account.

Your best to call them on 1913, the n86 is available on 3 so they might help you out even though it's not one you got from them..

edit: just updating in case any one else has issues...

yep, I reckon my settings are fine; I didnt have to set them, lifted correctly from the sim; I noticed that they are starting to do the n86 so wont tell them its my own.
    I had the 'allow net connection' option set on the my3 web page, then I went to disable it (with the intention of re-enabling it) but once disabled, it cannot be enabled!! when I called technical 1913 they didnt know what I was talking about... will try again later, not too bothered, will by the pack one month if I plan on using a lot, but thought the payg/billed by the kb option would be handy for cabbage etc.
    will updat with any response from 3..

km991148 wrote: »
    edit: just updating in case any one else has issues...

yep, I reckon my settings are fine; I didnt have to set them, lifted correctly from the sim; I noticed that they are starting to do the n86 so wont tell them its my own.
    I had the 'allow net connection' option set on the my3 web page, then I went to disable it (with the intention of re-enabling it) but once disabled, it cannot be enabled!! when I called technical 1913 they didnt know what I was talking about... will try again later, not too bothered, will by the pack one month if I plan on using a lot, but thought the payg/billed by the kb option would be handy for cabbage etc.
    will updat with any response from 3..

They'll know it's not one of their phones as the IMEI of the phone will not be listed on their systems. Just be up front with them.
    Go into my3 on your phone and then go to my account, then access settings and check to see if internet acces is turned on, you should see a green box saying You can surf the web locally and while abroad.
    If it's not activated, activate it, also set your phone in my3.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 mikeyof

I am building a house in ireland on my own and go for days without talking to a soul. Some days I could hang myself with the isolation. I know I sound a drip but talking to my wife in uk for 1/2 a hour or so a day makes all the difference. Thought I had a solution as I have a brill 3g signal from 3 and was buying a broadband dongle in UK to skype. Then 3 INTRODUCED ROAMING! for 3 UK devices in Ireland in July.I am now desperately looking for the cheapest option to make cals from my lappy or mobile. If I buy a skype handset from ireland I have to top up every month even if I am not there to be able to keep using skype. If I buy a skype handset from UK it is apparently treated as roaming and so is not free. Although three say put our sim in your 3g phone and enjoy us. Apparently that is lies as the phone needs security settings
    inbuilt which are only in three supplied phones.The three shop I go in gets loads of Irish people in trying to avoid the Irish three excessive charges but they say can't see a way round them. I need a hero to point the way for me with accurate info before I end up dangling on a rope! are you the eddie hobbs of the mobile world who can help me

Welcome to boards!!

Your doing it the wrong way round, you need an irish 3 modem, 3 uk done away with 3 like home but 3 ireland didn't. If you get an irish 3 phone you only have to top it up by €10pm to use skype, you won't be hit with roaming charges either if you use it in the uk the same applies to the modem.. the 3 ireland broadband offers are better then the uk, in the uk you only get 5gb for close to 20 euro, here you get 15gb usage..

• Advertisement

They'll know it's not one of their phones as the IMEI of the phone will not be listed on their systems. Just be up front with them.
    Go into my3 on your phone and then go to my account, then access settings and check to see if internet acces is turned on, you should see a green box saying You can surf the web locally and while abroad.
    If it's not activated, activate it, also set your phone in my3.

yeah not bothered if they know or not anyway, at the end of the day, I bought a 3pay sim for the advertised features so should be able to use them on a capable phone..
    anyway, re the change access settings, I can change them back via the handset, previously I was trying via my3 on three.ie (i.e. via the comp) and it wouldnt let me!

However, last time I had that option enabled, it wouldnt let me use internet with PAYG without a bundle!

ok, changed back,

I guess the guy from 3 was right, I still cant get on the net, so u must need to buy the 1gb add on!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 mikeyof

I am on very limited income. 89pounds a week not the 200plus that people in ireland enjoy for welfare benefit. So every last penny I have has to work hard. If it wasn't for Lidl I could not contemplate coming home to Ireland to spend my final days. It gauls me with the way that three Ireland are discriminating against paddies who happen to live in UK who need to operate in ireland when there. A skype handset in the UK with three is 34pounds in Ireland the bottom phone is 79euro(same as pounds really). Also the top-up to use skype in UK is only every three months, in Ireland it is every month. If I come back to UK like now and wife is full of flu I could be here for a long time and I would be paying three ireland for credit I am not using. I got Fring on an old phone but it just seems to lock the phone up when I try to use it.Put it on meteor but don't know what the data charges might be-one source say's 99c a day or a few cents per kilobyte upto 50MB. I've tried getting a three Ireland skype phone on Ebay but they are all dead or people won't part with them. Perhaps on day when George Lee is teeshok and Miriam O'Callaghan is president things might get better but at the moment I despair for Ireland. Again many thanks and your thoughts are greatly appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Quackles

Mikey, I have an old 3 Ireland skypephone which is mildly broken (very hard to charge, but ok once you get it kicked off) which I will gladly pop in the post to you gratis and free of charge if it'll help.. I dont have a 3 sim, however, but I'm sure you could pick one up easily enough. Anything to help mental help :) PM me if you want it, I'd rarely check on this forum.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭niallb

Hi Mikeyof,
    best of luck with the flu by the way.
    There might be an option here you're missing.

You need to do the topup - 3 months in UK, 1 month here - to use Skype FOR FREE.
    You'll get a fair bit of skype in through the data allowance if you do buy the addon,
    but you'll need your laptop to use it. Skype on 3 is not the same as skype on computer. It is a service provided by 3 when you top up regularly, but is more like a phone call,
    and doesn't use data allowance. Skype on your laptop uses the data allowance, and
    is NOT FREE. All your skype data is counted.
    This suggests that you can choose - either topup monthly, or buy an addon. No need for both.

drunkmonkey is spot on - you'll get much better options withan Irish 3 SIM.

• Advertisement
Advertisement