Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Around 800 books published tday as part of "Super Thursday"

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

turgon wrote: »
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/2009/sep/25/book-shops-retail-super-thursday

In the run up to Christmas 800 books will be published today in what is described as a "publishing bonanza." Never heard of this happening before!

So....quantity over quality?????? :D:D:D

This isn't anything new but it definitely is a case of quantity over quality. The Christmas market is one of the poorest excuses for book publication that there is. Every half-arsed Z-lister 'celebrity' publishes a book, sports men and women, celebrity chefs, you name it, they get a book out and more often that not, the quality is not that good.

It appeals to the desperation of buyers in the approach to Christmas.

'Argh, it's two days to go, what'll I get Mary? A book!! Er, she likes X-factor, that Danii Minogue Biography looks good...or maybe the Cheryl Cole story, or the X-factor annual? Feck it, I'll buy all three' :D

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭lemon_sherbert

Have to say, I don't mind all the publication of celebrity rubbish. I hate the books, but for everyone that gets published and sells to the masses, the publishers are able to fund new literary novels or poetry that might otherwise not earn enough to merit publication.

Advertisement