Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Interested in canoeing - possible to learn outside summer months?

Options
  • 01-10-2009 10:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,900 ✭✭✭

Hi. Myself and a friend are two adults interested in an introductory training course in canoeing. I had a look on www.canoe.ie and www.salmonleapcanoeclub.com but both only seem to offer this over the summer months.

Is there anything we can do over the winter – even to prepare for a course next summer? Based in west Dublin.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭NathanKingerlee

Hi. There's definitely kayak and canoe courses on around the country during the winter, especially white water courses. It's just a case of going onto Google. You could also try some of the Dublin sea kayak companies for suggestions, or there's a Wicklow based company called Total Experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,900 ✭✭✭JDxtra

Many thanks, I will check them out.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,830 ✭✭✭✭Taltos

Not sure about rivers
    But for sea in Dublin alone there are 2 that I know of

Southside - Deep Blue Sea Kayaking
    Northside - Shearwater

Both have really good reputations - provide all the gear etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 kayakboy

Try Wild Water kayak Club http://www.wwkc.net - your probably a bit late for a beginners course but you'd be able to go to pool sessions during the winter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Fresh_Air

If you haven't lucked out by now then send me a private message and I can pass on details of friends involved in Kayaking and canoe polo - as far as I know they get together all year round

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭Steve.N

Most good clubs have Level 2 training all year round (this is what you want!). I joined a club in Drogheda (it uses the Boyne in Slane/Navan) lastyear - Silverbridge Kayak club www.sbkc.ie
    Every Sunday the beginners go out with senior members who will coach and guide them. Pool sessions run through Jan-March so as to get your roll sorted.

There's also a great Kayak school I've discovered - It's a bit of a hike but with the new motorways it's a grand drive. It's up outside Mullingar - I travel over an hour to get there! The guy is VERY good - Although I'm in the club I'm doing private lessons with this guy to iron out my bad habits. Check out the website (www.outdoordiscovery.ie) well worth a look and worth the small money he charges. If you did the level 2 with a school like this you could join any club and be good enough to go paddling with them anytime - all clubs paddle throughout the winter :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,900 ✭✭✭JDxtra

Many thanks all. Your info is much appreciated.

Advertisement