Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need Wisdom teeth out- Please Help!

Options
  • 01-10-2009 10:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭

Sorry, not sure if this is the right thread, but I need some advice. My wisdom teeth are causing lots of pain. I want them out. Does anyone know a dentist in the city centre area that is fairly cheap and will recommend having them pulled.

I have VHI. It states that if I am referred to a hospital to have them removed that they will cover the procedure. Does anyone know if this is correct? I would need to have them surgically removed as a good portion is beneath the jaw bone. I was told they would have to cut them out.

Any advice would be great. I went to one dentist, but he didn't want to make a recommendation to have them removed because they are so close to the nereve; however, I can't deal with the pressure headaches, the stiffness in my neck and back, the sore gums and so on that comes with them. They had me so freaked out that at one point I was at the hospital to ensure I didn't have meningitis or tumour as I was in that much pain.

Please Help!
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,357 ✭✭✭Tefral

kabuk1 wrote: »
    Sorry, not sure if this is the right thread, but I need some advice. My wisdom teeth are causing lots of pain. I want them out. Does anyone know a dentist in the city centre area that is fairly cheap and will recommend having them pulled.

I have VHI. It states that if I am referred to a hospital to have them removed that they will cover the procedure. Does anyone know if this is correct? I would need to have them surgically removed as a good portion is beneath the jaw bone. I was told they would have to cut them out.

Any advice would be great. I went to one dentist, but he didn't want to make a recommendation to have them removed because they are so close to the nereve; however, I can't deal with the pressure headaches, the stiffness in my neck and back, the sore gums and so on that comes with them. They had me so freaked out that at one point I was at the hospital to ensure I didn't have meningitis or tumour as I was in that much pain.

Please Help!

Try annes lane dental just of grafton street! i go there on a recommendation of a boards thread, couldnt be happier with the service and to be honest im terrified of dentists!

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭kabuk1

Thanks. I'll check that place out.

Anyone know anything about VHI and if they cover wisdom teeth extractions as I've mentioned above?

Also, does anyone know how much it will cost to have my wisdom teeth x-rayed and have a referral written?

I can't really afford much of anything right now. If I could afford it, I'd wait until I went back to the States ($2k), as I know I'll be put to sleep and given excellent pain killers to get me through.

Hate dentists!

Help, please!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,357 ✭✭✭Tefral

kabuk1 wrote: »
    Thanks. I'll check that place out.

Anyone know anything about VHI and if they cover wisdom teeth extractions as I've mentioned above?

Also, does anyone know how much it will cost to have my wisdom teeth x-rayed and have a referral written?

I can't really afford much of anything right now. If I could afford it, I'd wait until I went back to the States ($2k), as I know I'll be put to sleep and given excellent pain killers to get me through.

Hate dentists!

Help, please!

Check the VHI website and put in the plan you have it will run through what your covered
    http://www.vhi.ie/info/dental/index.jsp

Annes lane have prices on their website
    http://www.anneslanedentalcentre.com/dentist_dublin_fees/dublin_dentist.htm
    Routine Dental Examination € 45.00
    Routine Dental Examination and cleaning € 95.00
    Hygienist - deep cleaning € 80.00
    Small x-rays € 20.00
    Large x-rays (OPG) € 60.00
    Silver Fillings from € 80.00
    White Fillings from € 90.00
    White crowns from € 850.00
    Dentures from € 400.00
    Single tooth implant restoration € 1500.00
    Root Canal Treatment from € 400.00
    Inlays/ Onlays (lab made) from € 700.00
    Tooth whitening trays € 350.00
    Tooth whitening (in surgery) - includes whitening maintenance trays € 600.00
    Veneers € 750.00

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭Eoineo

Depends on whether you're having it done as a Day Case under GA?

The Mountbrook Clinic in Ranelagh (?) does it and a number of Dublin consultants operate out of there. VHI covers the full procedure and you only need to pay for your consultants fees before and after. You need to get your dentist to refer you.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭Nedermeyer

Ask your dentist to refer you to the dental hospital in trinners.

They'll do it for NOTHING.

Although it will be a student doing it, they are fully supervised by trained dentists, if anything even remotely LOOKS like it's going to go wrong, they'll just take over and finish !

Hope this helps.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭tfak85

Eoineo wrote: »
    The Mountbrook Clinic in Ranelagh (?) does it and a number of Dublin consultants operate out of there. VHI covers the full procedure and you only need to pay for your consultants fees before and after. You need to get your dentist to refer you.

the northbrook clinic in ranelagh, it's a lovely place, had mine done there last year.. your dentist should just refer you to a maxiofacial surgeon and let them worry about whether the teeth are too close to the nerves or not..
    what you will have to pay for is a trip to the consultant (300e) and a special xray of your whole head (about 60e) but then of course you can claim about 20pc tax back on those next year!

Advertisement