Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone got a fish tank they don't need?

Options
  • 01-10-2009 11:43am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭

The light unit on my fish tank went yesterday. Can't afford to buy a new one. Just wondering if anyone has a spare tank they don't need, preferably one with a working light and lid.

Can collect anywhere in Dublin or there abouts.

Many thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭Pimp Ninja

You should be able to just buy a new hood instead of a whole new tank.

Having said that it depends on what exactly is wrong with your light unit. Sometimes these can be replaced or repaired pretty cheaply.

Also some newer tanks come with a manufacturers warranty.

What size and type of tank is it? How old is it? Maybe I can be of some help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭Boomtastic

The light was completely corroded when I opened it up. No chance of repair.

The tank is about 5 years old so warranty well gone. I took it back to the pet shop where we bought it to see if they could replace it but no luck.

The tank is smallish 41cm x 27cm and a sort of D shape if that's any help.

Couple of ideas for you.

1. If it is a well known brand, most local suppliers should be able to source a new hood. If its a less known or non branded tank there may be more work involved and not worth their while.

2. You could pick up something like these on ebay
    Starter unit for 15 inch 15 watt tube
    or
    Starter unit for 12 inch 8 watt tube.
    Then pick up some bulbs locally.

The idea here (if your light unit is completely kaput) is to remove the existing light unit/ballast and bulbs from the hood and replace with these.

3. Finally there are Luminaires or clip on fittings that sit on the glass rim at the top of the tank. These leave the top of the tank uncovered, so depending on fish stock (some types may be prone to jumping) these may not be suitable.

Most of the above are also available in petshops, if you want to give me a rough idea where you are I could suggest a few.

Hope this is of some help.

- Dan

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭ValerieR

^^ The advice by Dan is spot on and I might repeat what you already thought/knew ... but just in case: make sure it's all to waterproof standards ... as electrics and water don;t mix well :)
    ValerieR

Thanks Dan. That Interpet starter kit looks like it's the answer. Anyone know a shop that has them in Dublin (North if possible)? Don't have a cc so PayPal is not an option.

• Advertisement

Most Pet shops will stock these. Try Aquarium Solutions in Ashbourne. Andy will even order one in for you if he does not have suitable one in stock. Kinsealy petstore off the malahide road is another fantastic shop.

Heres the complicated part :P

If you are going this route, bear in mind different length tubes = different wattages.
    You need to get a starter suited to the watt/length of the bulb.
    e.g. 8 watt is 12 inch; 15 watt is 15/16 inch

Measure up the inside of the hood, pop into a pet shop and ask them for suitable starter& bulbs.
    Keep in mind that the end caps will extend the bulb length slightly.

Your tank is 41cm wide - 16 inches give or take.
    Minus a bit because the bulb needs to fit on the inside of the hood so 15 inches at a guess.
    with 15 inches in the inside of the hood I wouldnt go for a bulb much bigger than 14inches.
    A 12 inch bulb is probably better, just to be sure you have room to place the bulb with about 1/2 an inch either end of it for the caps.

So going for a 12 inch bulb, you are looking at an 8 watt starter :)

Thanks Ninja. Kinsealy is my pet shop of choice (I bought the tank there originally) but they had nothing. I'll call them tomorrow and see if they can order it in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 188 ✭✭teetotaller

U can get something like this - it is cheaper than hood and lamp unit.

http://www.ukpetsupplies.com/Details.aspx?ProdId=3087&CatId=1350&ParentId=1349

good deall on lights - www.zooplus.co.uk
    There is also www.zooplus.ie , but cos it has ".IE" its overpriced.

Advertisement