Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

150th Anniversary Origin of Species two months time, I think we should all read it

Options
  • 01-10-2009 11:48am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭

As it says on the tin, the 150th Anniversary of On the Origin of Species falls on the 24th of November. It has never been out of print in 150 years. I recently bought my copy of it and will read it before then. I think it would be cool to initiate a discussion of this very influential book on such a momentous day for that book.

Buyers guide: Penguin Classics recently released a new edition of Origin Of Species to mark the 150th anniversary. It is bigger than the old 1968 Penguin Classics edition, and has a brand new 50 page introduction as well as a new cover. The problem one may encounter when buying is that the old Classics edition still shows up and you need to do a bit of rooting around. For your pleasure:

Old 1968 Penguin Classics Edition
    New 2009 Penguin Classics Edition <- way better!
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

Reading dawkins new book on evolution instead :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭turgon

But the new 2009 edition is just so shiny!!!!! :D

But seriously, what is it like? Have you read Darwin before?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 924 ✭✭✭Elliemental

I`ll definately be reading it. Its` a book i`ve been meaning to read for many, many years. A committed atheist, its a big omission from my personal library.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,856 ✭✭✭Valmont

I'm with you on this Turgon, I was thinking the same idea when I heard about the anniversary. This book seems more relevant than ever these days.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Wow, what a coincidence, I actually bought this on Amazon last night! Less than 4 pound if I recall along with Dawkin's The Blind Watchmaker.

Didn't even think of getting a ''new'' version, the cover or introduction doesn't bother me in fairness.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,629 ✭✭✭raah!

There was a thread here before, and many people there said that it was a really terrible read. But I'm sure it would be an edifying experience regardless. Not sure if I'll have time with all these tests and what not coming up for me though :(

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭BossArky

raah! wrote: »
    There was a thread here before, and many people there said that it was a really terrible read.

Yes, I created a thread on it a few months back. Very tough book to read. Didn't enjoy it.

When the search function is back online I'll post a link to the old thread.

Advertisement