Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TV Bracket to Plasterboard Wall

Options
  • 01-10-2009 11:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭

Well, the nipper has now reached a size where she can get at the TV. We want to try and prevent any possible accidents by attaching the TV to the wall with a bracket.

House is timber frame with all plasterboard internal walls.

TV is a 37inch Phillips LCD. (37PF9431D I think) From an online search, its 66lbs or 29Kilos

I picked up a suitable bracket for the wall and it weighs pretty close to that of the TV itself.

Option A
    Toggle bolts, tho Im figuring that these alone may not do the trick.

Option B
    Excessively toggle bolt a big lump of wood to the plasterboard and attach the bracket to the wood.

Option C
    Cut out a hole in the plasterboard and put the bracket onto the block wall behind it. This block wall is the dividing wall between us and the neighbors.

Work does not need to be pretty, its going to be hidden by the TV.

My questions would be.
    Are there any other options that I have not considered ?

Obviously Option C above would be my best bet, but Im not sure how thick this wall is, and dont want to end up drilling all the way through for supports. So what would be the best way to do this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Waffle

How about option B, but locate a joist/baton behind plaster and screw to that, so that at least some of the load is on the joist.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Why don't you attach a piece of 9mm/12mm ply with bevelled edges to the studs?
    Mount the TV/bracket to the ply and it should be fine.
    The ply would want to span at least 2 studs if not 3.
    What are the stud centres 400mm or 600mm?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭johnny_adidas

option D, cut the plasterboard, add some additional noggins between the studs to suit the bracket, plasterboard back up and screw through to the timber behind.
    I cut out the plasterboard on a timber stud wall at home (internal) used a piece of plywood slightly thinner than plasterboard, fixed that to studs and skimmed over.
    if i had my way again id just add the plywood to the front of the wall as cj suggests above

• Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭Pimp Ninja

Thanks for the suggestions, given me a bit to think about.

Ill be out with the bradall this evening to find out where the joists are.

Advertisement