Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is the Irish Public Service the highest paid in the world ?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,271 ✭✭✭irish_bob

:rolleyes:

a regular citizen doesn't have to try to take down and apprehend the attacker though, a guard does.

and a postman has to deliver mail , a fireman has to put out fires , whats your point , did they think when they signed up they would be playing barney at kids parties

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭TCP/IP_King

irish_bob wrote: »
    ...did they think when they signed up they would be playing barney at kids parties

Paying peanuts attracts mainly monkeys.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,590 ✭✭✭Mal-Adjusted

irish_bob wrote: »
    and a postman has to deliver mail , a fireman has to put out fires , whats your point , did they think when they signed up they would be playing barney at kids parties

ah, now you're just talking in circles:rolleyes:

whats your point exactly , do you think that if we dont pay our guards on average over a grand a week ( excluding over time ) they would go off somewhere else , most guards i know had two option this past ten years , join the guards and recieve 50 k per year plus pension or shovell cement and recieve a good wage but with no security , increased occupation hazzard and zero pension benefits , the difference now is their are no construction jobs remaining

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,539 ✭✭✭jimmmy

So that is the only justification you can think of for the country to continue to borrow 480 million euro per week, so that our average public sector pay is the highest in the known world, at 973 euro per week ( source of the 973 figure : www.cso.ie ).

Are European public servants monkeys because they are paid on average 40% less ? ( source : eurostat ).
    A yes or no will suffice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭SLUSK

I guess it is because of the high salaries in the public sector Ireland is known for having the best and most efficient public sector on the planet :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,307 ✭✭✭T runner

jimmmy wrote: »
    So that is the only justification you can think of for the country to continue to borrow 480 million euro per week, so that our average public sector pay is the highest in the known world, at 973 euro per week ( source of the 973 figure : www.cso.ie ).

Are European public servants monkeys because they are paid on average 40% less ? ( source : eurostat ).

Could we have the source of the "highest paid in the known world" fact please?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,025 ✭✭✭Tipp Man

T runner wrote: »

Can we have a source that it isn't

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,025 ✭✭✭Tipp Man

T runner wrote: »

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,737 ✭✭✭BroomBurner

Tipp Man wrote: »

Burden of proof is on the person making the initial statement. Never put forward an arguement unless you can back yourself up by facts.

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭TCP/IP_King

... Are European public servants monkeys because they are paid on average 40% less ? ( source : eurostat ).

Once again we are in the bubble that is Jimmy's world.
    It's a relative figure we're talking about here.
    I work with guys in India who get paid a half of what I get here (42,000) and they are some of the best paid in their industry.
    Then again if they had to live in Ireland on 21,000 I'm sure they'd have a different outlook.
    I paid 450E for a "temporary" job on a tooth 3 weeks ago. A colleague living and working in >> Switzerland << said I was mad to pay that amount. It is now more expensive to live in Dublin than Bern !!

Yes or No ? Are European public servants monkeys because they are paid on average 40% less ? ( source : eurostat ).

Sorry to hear about your tooh. Even in Ireland you can get better value by shopping around, as many do, or by going across the border, as many do. People from there ( N.I. ) can buy their petrol here, as many have over the past 5 years. We do not have a choice where we pay our taxes , so why should we pay our public servants 40% more than the EC saverage. If / when public sector wages are reduced, I guarantee you dental fees will also reduce, as thats the law of the marketplace. In the meantime shop around / go to Newry for you dental work. Many taxes there are less ( eg vat is 15% instead of 21.5% ) , partly due to the fact the government there does not pay its public servants as much.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

Yes or No ? Are European public servants monkeys because they are paid on average 40% less ? ( source : eurostat ).

Better reference, please.

Better reference, please.
    It was given on another thread. Research it yourself if you want. Yesterday you were also looking for a better ref than www.cso.ie for the average Irish public sector wage being 973 per week, even though this was given to you on numerous occassions before.....even many months ago when I told you it was 966 per week, as it was then. Why has nobody been able - even public sector people - to find a country in the world with a higher average public sector wage than Ireland, or even one close ?

It was given on another thread. Research it yourself if you want...

You make a claim. It is incumbent on you to back it up.

It was backed up. Now, back to the thread : Why has nobody been able - even public sector people - to find a country in the world with a higher average public sector wage than Ireland, or even one close ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

It was backed up. Now, back to the thread : Why has nobody been able - even public sector people - to find a country in the world with a higher average public sector wage than Ireland, or even one close ?

Difficult without seeing evidence of all these countries cost of living/living standards etc. to find any point in all these various threads by the usual suspects. Taken as a stand alone, perhaps Irish public sector wages are higher than everywhere else. If I could be arsed, would I find that private sector wages are also higher in this country than many others around the world? Probably.

dooferoaks wrote: »
    Difficult without seeing evidence of all these countries cost of living/living standards etc. ..
    The question has got nothing to do with cost of living/living standards. ( apart from the fact than when our public sector wages decrease, our cost of living will fall further ) . Nobody forces anyone to pay private sector wages : for example, if you do not want to buy a product made in Ireland you can buy one from abroad, or not at all.
    So the thread has nothing to do with private sector wages. If you want to get the statistics on private sector wages from the CSO and start a thread about that, feel free to do so. Incidentally, you will find all studies show they are less on average than Irish public sector wages too.

It was backed up.

You claimed in the post that I want backup for that "European public servants ... are paid on average 40% less ... ( source : eurostat )." Now, jimmmy, this might surprise you: I do not believe that claim. I have asked you to back it up, and you have failed to do so.
    Now, back to the thread ...

That's jimmmyspeak for "I'm ducking the challenge".

• Advertisement

The question has got nothing to do with cost of living/living standards.

So all the work done by economists and statisticians on purchasing power parity is a waste of time? Just because jimmmy says so?
    ...So the thread has nothing to do with private sector wages. If you want to get the statistics on private sector wages from the CSO and start a thread about that, feel free to do so...

Moderators decide how a thread may be allowed to evolve. It is very reasonable, in my view, to bring private sector wages in as another interesting comparative and also because much of my public sector income ends up paying the wages of people in the private sector: they are part of my cost of living.

So all the work done by economists and statisticians on purchasing power parity is a waste of time? Just because jimmmy says so?.
    Exactly what "work done by economists and statisticians on purchasing power parity " are you referring to.
    In any case, nobody said it was a waste of time...."purchasing power" was discussed on other threads ....if you want to start a new thread on " purchasing power parity " feel free to do so. This thread is Is the Irish Public Service the highest paid in the world ? , and nobody , despite much research, has been able to find a country in the world with a higher average public sector pay than Ireland yet.

It is very reasonable, in my view, to bring private sector wages in as another interesting comparative and also because much of my public sector income ends up paying the wages of people in the private sector: they are part of my cost of living.
    Of course, and as studies ( eg ESRI ) have shown, public sector wages in this country are between a quarter to 48 % higher than private sector wages, depending on the study and whither you factor in the shorter working hours in the public service etc.
    As also said before, ( just as the rapid rise in public sector wages and numbers employed during the tiger was one of the factors which contributed to price inflation ) , when public sector wages fall, the cost of living will fall even faster than is happening already.

You claimed in the post that I want backup for that "European public servants ... are paid on average 40% less ... ( source : eurostat )." Now, jimmmy, this might surprise you: I do not believe that claim. I have asked you to back it up, and you have failed to do so.

Still waiting, jimmmy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭NewDubliner

This thread is Is the Irish Public Service the highest paid in the world ? , and nobody , despite much research, has been able to find a country in the world with a higher average public sector pay than Ireland yet..
    And you, despite impressive logical contortions have been unable to make a definitive list of all the countries in the world, normalising the different PS constitutions and prove the point you're trying to make scientifically. You might make a good theologian (if one cannot prove God does not exist, therefore he exists...) but you should avoid science. However, your logical faculties might well be suited to the job of Fianna Fail spin-doctor if your lucrative private sector career fails.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 690 ✭✭✭givyjoe81

Difficult without seeing evidence of all these countries cost of living/living standards etc. to find any point in all these various threads by the usual suspects. Taken as a stand alone, perhaps Irish public sector wages are higher than everywhere else. If I could be arsed, would I find that private sector wages are also higher in this country than many others around the world? Probably.

Do it then..For christ sake, why is even still being debated as to whether PS wages need to be cut.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭NewDubliner

givyjoe81 wrote: »
    Do it then..For christ sake, why is even still being debated as to whether PS wages need to be cut.
    A lynch mob likes to to have the approval of a kangaroo court before setting about its business.

here , i might aswell speak for the other side , because who will you turn to when you need to go to hospital or have your house broken into , that seems to be the jist of the defence , problem being nurses and police face the exact same challenges in every other country

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

givyjoe81 wrote: »

You are funny, sound like you are about ready to pop! :P

Christ was a public service worker if you believe the bible, he definitely deserved a pay-rise, think it was the Romans crucified him though.

Anyhoo, time to go home to my mansion to eat my Lobster.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 690 ✭✭✭givyjoe81

You are funny, sound like you are about ready to pop! :P

Christ was a public service worker if you believe the bible, he definitely deserved a pay-rise, think it was the Romans crucified him though.

Anyhoo, time to go home to my mansion to eat my Lobster.

Refreshing to see some humour around here, actually thought is wasnt allowed :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,590 ✭✭✭Mal-Adjusted

what is this "humour" you speak of?

Advertisement