Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Switching Networks

• 01-10-2009 11:58am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭

I'm on Pre Pay O2 at the moment. I want to get a new phone and it's cheapest on the Vodafone website right now (30 euro off new phone if you switch to them).

Once I've switched to Vodafone, is there anything stopping me moving to Metor or 3, which would suit my more data centric usage.

Are you limited in the amount of times you can switch networks?

Could you constantly switch networks and avail of all the free credit that comes with switching?

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,221 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

your phone would be locked to vodafone and you'd have to pay/top up a certain amount to unlock it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭Bob_Harris

As in my phone number will be locked to Vodafone, opposed to the phone being sim locked to the Vodafone network?

So if I bought the phone, switching to Vodafone in the process, unlocked the phone, then attempted to move the 3, it would not be possible?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,248 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

You can move your number as ofter as you like, twice in the one day if you like but the free credit offers usually take 6mts or so before you get all the credit. You could just buy the phone without moving your number and get it unlocked but you'll be stuck with the vodafone firmware unless you also get the phone debranded. (mo money)
    Also if your looking at using it on 3 your really better off with a 3 phone as there all fully loaded with apps like skype which 3 only support on their handsets. If your only going to be saving 30e it's not worth it.

What phone are you looking at?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭jordainius

Bob_Harris wrote: »
    I'm on Pre Pay O2 at the moment. I want to get a new phone and it's cheapest on the Vodafone website right now (30 euro off new phone if you switch to them).

If you buy your phone online you get €30 off. You pay full price if you buy in store.
    Once I've switched to Vodafone, is there anything stopping me moving to Metor or 3, which would suit my more data centric usage.

If your usage is data centred then Meteor, O2 and Vodafone pretty much offer the exact same thing. Unless you move to billpay, the only network worth your while for prepay data is 3. They are the only one who offer a data add-on. 1GB for €9.99. If you do plan moving to 3, it will need to be a 3G handset.

You can move as soon as you like, but unless you have topped up by €130 in the last 6 months Vodafone will not provide you with the unlock codes. You will also forfeit any outstanding free credit.
    Are you limited in the amount of times you can switch networks?

Could you constantly switch networks and avail of all the free credit that comes with switching?

No you are not limited but it would be a lot of hassle to move regularly. Also, networks offer "porting credit" for moving your number to their network. However, they don't offer it to customers who "port back". Mobile phone networks like any business have safeguards in place. They wouldn't like people to try to rip them off you see.

What you are considering really is not worth your while and the networks are wise to such a plan. Free credit is not free anymore, there are conditions and it is normally drip fed, and comes with minimum top up requirements. So unless you top up, you won't get free credit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,564 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

If you can't afford €30 for a "new" phone I would suggest you don't really need the phone in the first place.

• Advertisement

What phone are you looking at?

Nokia 5800

€219 (reduced from €249) on Vodafone.
    €239.99 on Meteor
    €249 on O2
    Not sold by 3

jordainius wrote: »
    Mobile phone networks like any business have safeguards in place. They wouldn't like people to try to rip them off you see.

What you are considering really is not worth your while and the networks are wise to such a plan. Free credit is not free anymore, there are conditions and it is normally drip fed, and comes with minimum top up requirements. So unless you top up, you won't get free credit.

I'm not planning on switching from network to network, I asked the question to find out what exactly are the "rules" behind it.

From a free credit point of view, moving to 3 would suit me best. Top up by 10 and get 10 free. I don't actually use credit that much so I doubt I'd continue to top up by 20 every month.

If you can't afford €30 for a "new" phone I would suggest you don't really need the phone in the first place.

Right, it's not about affording, it's about minimizing cost by putting a small bit of effort in.

Also, I do need a new phone as my current one is borked. But instead of buying a bog standard phone I need one with GPS.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭jordainius

You asked questions. I answered them.

Sim free, €275

If I was in your position, I'd buy it from Vodafone with the €30 off. Get it unlocked as soon as possible, and then port to 3.

I'm not sure what the story is with unlocking this phone but I imagine it would be more expensive than most to unlock.

Another option is to buy it off of Ebay already unlocked, and new, for roughly 220 including postage, then move to 3.

Just waiting to hear back from some sellers if the original warranty is included.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,683 ✭✭✭Kensington

From a free credit point of view, moving to 3 would suit me best. Top up by 10 and get 10 free. I don't actually use credit that much so I doubt I'd continue to top up by 20 every month.
    Just to warn you - 3's "free" credit has a 30 day expiry period. Basically, top up €10, you get €10. New balance €20. Let's say you don't use any credit for 30 days. On day 31, your "free" credit expires and you now have €10 credit again. My understanding also, is that if you use, say, €5 credit in a month, 3 consider that as having come out of your €10 top-up so when your "free" credit expires, the €10 "free" credit comes off your account balance so you'll be left with your €10 top-up minus whatever your usage.

Also, you can't use your "free" €10 credit to buy text bundles, data add-ons or 3 content.

Something to be wary of!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,248 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

If your looking at the 5800 also consider a 3 phone, you will get a lot more out of the network if you have a 3 branded and supported phone. You will have problems using services and applications if you go the route your thinking of.

one's to consider on 3 are:
    samsung s5600
    nokia 6120
    nokia e63
    nokia 6700
    sony w705

there all very good phones and all under the price of a 5800 ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭Walkman

Kensington wrote: »
    Just to warn you - 3's "free" credit has a 30 day expiry period. Basically, top up 10, you get 10. New balance 20. Let's say you don't use any credit for 30 days. On day 31, your "free" credit expires and you now have 10 credit again. My understanding also, is that if you use, say, 5 credit in a month, 3 consider that as having come out of your 10 top-up so when your "free" credit expires, the 10 "free" credit comes off your account balance so you'll be left with your 10 top-up minus whatever your usage.

Also, you can't use your "free" 10 credit to buy text bundles, data add-ons or 3 content.

Something to be wary of!
    The OP is looking to use data extensively. In this case they would use the top up credit for the add on and the free credit for their calls and texts thus they loose nothing. Also any calls and texts are used up by any available free credit first not the top up credit (the free credit can also be used to purchase tracks from their music store or watch tv on the phone or any other content which needs to be purchased)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,683 ✭✭✭Kensington

Walkman wrote: »
    The OP is looking to use data extensively. In this case they would use the top up credit for the add on and the free credit for their calls and texts thus they loose nothing. Also any calls and texts are used up by any available free credit first not the top up credit (the free credit can also be used to purchase tracks from their music store or watch tv on the phone or any other content which needs to be purchased)
    Apologies, I stand corrected.
    The above was what I was told by 3's sales line....

Thanks for the input all.

I decided to buy an unlocked 5800 (€220 delivered), along with a leather case, screen protectors, silicon cases, car charger and windscreen mount for sat naving (all for €13 delivered) from Ebay.

Will move to 3, for the best 3G coverage, and also from what I can see the best pricing for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 miginty2009

Thanks for the input all.

I decided to buy an unlocked 5800 (€220 delivered), along with a leather case, screen protectors, silicon cases, car charger and windscreen mount for sat naving (all for €13 delivered) from Ebay.

Will move to 3, for the best 3G coverage, and also from what I can see the best pricing for me.

Just wondering where you got the info that 3 has the best 3g coverage?
    Where abouts in the country is this . Just like to know that's all.
    M

They have a coverage map on their site which seems accurate enough.

With past experience of a Vodafone broadband dongle which I could only get GPRS, and O2 only giving me very patchy 3.5G.

Advertisement