Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

XP putting some typed text in italics

• 01-10-2009 12:05pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I recently re-installed XP on my laptop and ever since then some of my programmes seem to automatically display the text I type in italics.

What's odd is that it's only the text I type and not the text I read (on the menu bar, or in the case of Thunderbird in my inbox etc.).

I've noticed it mainly with Thunderbird and Open Office and from what I can see the text is not actually in italics (so as I type the e-mail it appears in italics but when it's sent the person on the other end gets it normally) but it's annoying as hell.

Other programmes (like firefox, for example) don't seem to be effected at all - the text I'm typing now is appearing normally for me.

The only solutions I can find around the place refer to things like menu bars and window titles etc. being in italics and I can't figure out what I'm missing.

Anyone know what it could be?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭cpu-dude

flogen wrote: »
    I recently re-installed XP on my laptop and ever since then some of my programmes seem to automatically display the text I type in italics.

What's odd is that it's only the text I type and not the text I read (on the menu bar, or in the case of Thunderbird in my inbox etc.).

I've noticed it mainly with Thunderbird and Open Office and from what I can see the text is not actually in italics (so as I type the e-mail it appears in italics but when it's sent the person on the other end gets it normally) but it's annoying as hell.

Other programmes (like firefox, for example) don't seem to be effected at all - the text I'm typing now is appearing normally for me.

The only solutions I can find around the place refer to things like menu bars and window titles etc. being in italics and I can't figure out what I'm missing.

Anyone know what it could be?
    Can we see a screenshot of this please?

Also, make sure that Italic isn't on in your appearance settings (Right Desktop > Properties > Appearance > Advanced)

620d1232211547t-advanced-appearance-advanced1.jpg

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

Sure, I've attached two screenshots - one of Thunderbird and one of OpenOffice.

I've gone through the 'Advanced' list in 'Appearance' too and can't see anything in italics - what's odd is that it's only some programmes and not others. Inputting text in Firefox looks fine, as it does in Notepad, Wordpad etc.

Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭Big Lar

Sure, I've attached two screenshots - one of Thunderbird and one of OpenOffice.

I've gone through the 'Advanced' list in 'Appearance' too and can't see anything in italics - what's odd is that it's only some programmes and not others. Inputting text in Firefox looks fine, as it does in Notepad, Wordpad etc.

Thanks.
    Try changing your theme to XP Classic and see if it makes a difference.

Google indicates that a corrupt font might be the problem, you should try a System Restore.

EDIT: Here's a link to download the XP Fonts needed - http://forums.xkcd.com/download/file.php?id=2806

Try this also:
    Same thing happened to me; just in case somebody else bumps into the problem, here's a solution:

What happened was that for some reason the default Arial font went missing. Firefox and IE then automatically switched to the italics variant of the standard Arial font for displaying text in Arial. The solution is easy: copy a Arial.ttf file back into c:\windows\fonts. - http://rapidshare.com/files/106016380/ARIAL.TTF

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

cpu-dude wrote: »
    Try changing your theme to XP Classic and see if it makes a difference.

Google indicates that a corrupt font might be the problem, you should try a System Restore.

EDIT: Here's a link to download the XP Fonts needed - http://forums.xkcd.com/download/file.php?id=2806

Try this also:

Bingo - Times New Roman was corrupted so I replaced it with the same from my other laptop and bingo, problem solved.

Many thanks - didn't even occour to me that both of the programmes with the problem were using Times and others (like Firefox) weren't!

• Advertisement

Bingo - Times New Roman was corrupted so I replaced it with the same from my other laptop and bingo, problem solved.

Many thanks - didn't even occour to me that both of the programmes with the problem were using Times and others (like Firefox) weren't!
    Yeah, that's actually one thing I particularly like about Firefox, it's not spidered into Windows (own settings, own fonts, own add-ons).

Glad you got the problem sorted.

Advertisement