Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thumbing from Cork to Dublin

Options
  • 01-10-2009 12:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭

Does anyone know where the best and safest place to thumb a lift from Cork to Dublin is??? Also it would be handy to know the best place to thumb from Dublin to Cork too!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

Since most of the route is now motorway it is illegal to hitchhike from the side of the road. I'd say the internet is probably the best place to arrange such a trip from.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Paulie Walnuts

Furet wrote: »
    Since most of the route is now motorway it is illegal to hitchhike from the side of the road. I'd say the internet is probably the best place to arrange such a trip from.

I've already checked it out, there's a website carpool.ie but there doesn't seem to be very much on it. Not much motivation for someone with a car to go on the site.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

Maybe try the Commuting and Transport forum here - you might get lucky!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭Dankoozy

or the motors forum..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,430 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

the carpool website is a great idea in theory but it will never take off in this country anyway for reasons such as the compo culture we live in.

If the driver/owner of the car happened to be involved in an accident (even a relatively minor one) there is nothing to stop the hitch hiker/passenger to make a claim against the driver and this opens up a can of worms really.

Anyway, how much is the bus seriously??

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭bumpintraining

is it ever safe to hitchhike?! Did it when we were younger never again too many scary freaks around:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,430 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

is it ever safe to hitchhike?! Did it when we were younger never again too many scary freaks around:eek:

I agree!
    The funniest memory I have (well, it was scary at the time) was when I was hitchhiking between Castlegregory and Tralee and a lad in a nice merc picked us up (3 teenage lads).
    He was very quiet and liked to drive fast. Anyway, he decided to overtake a car on one of the very rare straight parts of that road and there was an oncoming car in the distance, as it grew closer and as he was speeding up he muttered the words "..he picked the wrong guy to play chicken with.." :eek:

We were sh*ttin' it big time and I was never so relieved to see Tralee:D

Well if guy in a beat up pick up truck, with an "I Shot JR" t-shirt on pulls up I might tell him to drive on. Anyways I think that is the reason that the carpool website won't work. People are too freaked out by strangers and so automatically assume that everyone they don't know is a "scary freak".

I have hitchhiked many times in the past and never had any problems, usually in the countryside where people aren't quite so paranoid though.

And as far as it being illegal well, i'm prepared to do the time if I get busted!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,446 ✭✭✭miss_shadow

it's like 10eu to get to dublin...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭bumpintraining

it isn't a case of being paranoid it's a case of keeping yourself safe. Most rapists and murderers don't drive pick up trucks with an I shot JR tshirt there normally very charming respectable individuals

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭bladebrew

it's like 10eu to get to dublin...

+1 if you book the train online you can save a heap of money!
    last saturday dublin to cork at 2pm was €10
    do not hitchike on a motorway if you get hit by a car travelling at 75mph there is no way you will survive!!

Ya I'm well aware that it doesn't cost much but TBH I'm sick of getting the 5 hour bus, and every time I get the train the carriages are full of screaming kids, people watching movies on laptops yadda yadda yadda....

...and yes I'm aware of the quiet carriage but you usually need to pre-book a seat on this carriage which isn't an option....

• Registered Users Posts: 15 dcuhead

Hey Paulie,
    Check out this website www.hitchwiki.org. I found it a godsend when hitching around Ireland. I have done that route many time (as a girl hitching alone and sometimes with a friend) and have had no trouble. Best to bring a sign!
    :)

Irish rail do have some pretty good promos at the mo though I must admit...10 euro to dublin...can't go wrong with that!!

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Bill-e

I couldn't imagine hitch hiking. Do you have to make small talk and all that sh1te? I would be more frightened of that then being raped.

Bill-e wrote: »
    I couldn't imagine hitch hiking. Do you have to make small talk and all that sh1te? I would be more frightened of that then being raped.

It's the same in taxis...

"You busy?"

"You been on long?"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,446 ✭✭✭miss_shadow

Ya I'm well aware that it doesn't cost much but TBH I'm sick of getting the 5 hour bus, and every time I get the train the carriages are full of screaming kids, people watching movies on laptops yadda yadda yadda....

...and yes I'm aware of the quiet carriage but you usually need to pre-book a seat on this carriage which isn't an option....

wear headphones listen to music full blast?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 420 ✭✭tommmy1979

Bill-e wrote: »

Brilliant!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

On the side of the road after the Roundabout after the tunnel on the Dublin road is the best place from the city to get picked up.

Cars have yet to pick up much speed and there is a large hard shoulder.

Offer to pay for the toll road though, to be nice.

Advertisement