Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rejuvination of the Boards.ie BookClub for November - suggestions welcome and needed!

Options
  • 01-10-2009 12:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭

Ok so the Book Club didn't go so well for September. No fault of lemon_sherbert's, its just I think we all failed to anticipate the kind of Book Club and books needed. Plus, it was my turn to decide for October and I never did so its also my fault. With that in mind I propose and using my tyrannical powers will start the

New And Improved Book Club for November

MAJOR CHANGES to the format as such:
    • Only ONE book will be proposed. Until we get to a situation where people are comfortable and willing to put in the effort into a two book book club, we should only have one book, I think. Then everyone will hopefully read it, and wont be bogged down.
    • Proposed book to be from the 1930's on, and somewhat short and easy to read, while still being literary. The problem was that people werent rightfully willing to put the effort into old archaic books. The book club want enjoyable for them. So the new book must be enjoyable. If its short people will be willing to read it, and wont be bogged down. But it should remain literary as that is the essence of Book Club!

The system of voting will continue, with 3 books chosen by one person voted on. However, getting suggestions from the rest will now be welcome. That is, create a long list from which the 3 book shortlist will be decided by the community.

SO WITH THAT:
    RESOLVED to mark a new stage in the process of European integration undertaken with the establishment of the European Communities,

DRAWING INSPIRATION from the cultural, religious and humanist inheritance of Europe, from which have developed the universal values of the inviolable and inalienable rights of the human person, freedom, democracy, equality and the rule of law,

Oh wait, this isnt the Treaty of Lisbon :o

:D

LONGLIST FOR NOVEMBER BOARDS.IE BOOK CLUB
    Suggest more books to this long list if you want, or show a preference for certain ones. Three of the following long list will go to vote!
    1. The Old Man and the Sea, Ernest Hemingway
    2. To Kill a Mockingbird, Harper Lee
    3. Amongst Women, John McGahern
    4. The Catcher in the Rye, JD Salinger
    5. Of Mice and Men, John Steinbeck

These books are short and not that hard to read, I think. Ive read most of them but not in depth so I want to read them again! If you think there should be others here suggest!!!!

I NOW pass the mantle to the Boards.ie Literature Forum to propose, suggest and amend all of previous post with a view to creating a Book Club everyone will enjoy!!! Voting in a week and a half!!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭lemon_sherbert

Good idea turgon, even I didn't like my own choices, danger of picking books you haven't read yet!

To Kill a Mockingbird sounds good to me, as I've been meaning to reread it

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭ilovenerds

Count me in!!!:D

Looking forward to it!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭turgon

Good stuff!!

Hopefully some of the other 30+ people who have read this will join up. Ill stick up a poll soon. In the interim I just have to kidnap raah! back. The vegans got him :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,629 ✭✭✭raah!

It was more the lack of internet, rather than the vegans that got me, but yes I haven't been posting as much. I should be able to read this and then get on here in college though for a few posts to keep up wiht the club.

To kill a Mocking Bird sounds good for me as well. Haven't read it yet meself.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

Hey folks, I am new to this BookClub and just have a few questions:

- how long to read the book chosen / how often is a new book chosen?

- can someone skip one book and return again for the following if the chosen one is not something they either don't want to read for whatever reason and/or don't have the time to devote to a book at that time?

I have not yet read any of the 5 books listed by the OP but would read any once one if chosen.

• Advertisement

Usually three of the 5 books above go for a public vote and we read them. We start discussing on November 1st.

Everyone: Do you think we should have a vote or just settle on Kill a Mockingbird? Or we could have a two way vote? I dont mind. Either way I think we should come to a decision by tonight, or set up a poll by tonight, to give everyone a chance to read it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,688 ✭✭✭kerash

Hi.
    Is this an online book club? I think a poll would be an idea :)
    I've read To Kill a Mocking Bird a couple of time so I'd go for Amongst Women myself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭buck65

We tried this 2 months ago and it didn't take off why would it be any different this time?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭Anouilh

I find writing about literature in a chat room quite difficult. Ideas float back and forth and keeping a discussion going is not easy.

Offering tips on books to read, on the other hand, is quite quick and simple.

I have started using Tweetmeme to share must-reads:

http://tweetmeme.com/user/Anouilh

My generation (Baby Boomers) is a bit behind the times with the latest sharing sites, but since we have plenty of time to read, we could be brought together more often and to more effect, I think.

buck65 wrote: »
    We tried this 2 months ago and it didn't take off why would it be any different this time?

Firstly, the first month wasnt a failure.

Secondly Ive looked at why it didnt work and have changed the book choice and set up system to relect this.

Poll later on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,688 ✭✭✭kerash

buck65 wrote: »
    you tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is, never try.
    :pac:

Advertisement