Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Slip Ups

Options
  • 01-10-2009 12:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭

Do you lot slip up at all? I don't mean by accidentally being fed something by someone who's cooked you a meal, but more like out of choice (be it drunken or otherwise!).

I'm vegan but sometimes I just *cannot* resist a freshly baked apple & cinnamon flapjack from the local bakery. I *know* it has butter in it, but I just can't resist the temptation, seeing as efforts to recreate it in a vegan manner have always failed in not producing anything as amazing as the original item! It doesn't happen often, but it does happen...

I try not to feel too guilty, as I'm a vegan primarily for health reasons, but I do detest dairy, more so than meat!

Also, if I've been dragged to a non-vegan friendly restaurant and there's no way they'll do me something vegan, I will always choose a fish dish over anything laden with dairy products. Does this make me bad? Again, it's not often at all, as I always go places where I can eat vegan... but sometimes paying through the nose just to be given a green salad as a vegan option, or otherwise feel really REALLY sick after eating something full of cheese or egg, just isn't worth it and it's easier to take the grilled fish.

It all boils down to other people not catering for vegans and vegetarians adequately and understanding what could be put into their products. I think every restaurant should have at least ONE dish on their menu suitable for vegans. And bakeries should try using soya margerine instead of butter cos it's healthier and would be so much better for everyone, not just vegans!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭Nature Boy

Haven't 'Slipped up' myself but I wouldn't get yourself down about it if I were you, especially if you're doing it for health reasons. We're all alowed to treat ourselves now and then!

It sounds like you have a dairy intolerance. I'm not sure if you even need to be vegan, just avoid dairy most of the time. Why not have 1 day every week where you're not a vegan and you can go wild?!

Yeah see this is one of the reasons why I'm not a vegan.
    I couldn't keep it up.

It would take an Alive situation to get me to consume meat. And I still genuinely don't know if I could it. It disgusts me that much.

I don't think the general populace would consider more Soya in its food to be healthy.

My sister once drunkenly savaged a big mac.
    Everytime meat had to be cooked around the house...I would remind her of her.
    That guiltrip worked for years! Yes I am mean.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭Getwellsoon

haha meanie!!!!!

I think we just need to be as good as we can. I hate it when vegetarians are so up themselves though, they really shouldn't be that way when they continue to guzzle down dairy. But as long as we are true to ourselves and do what we believe is right then I think slipping up occasionally isn't something to be too worried about.

Nature Boy: I am not sure if I have a full-blown intolerance, maybe just a slight one. I used to drink a lot of milk years ago and found myself getting bad stomach pains. Butter and eggs have never been a problem for me though, nor yoghurt. I just don't have the desire to consume them as the alternatives out there are far more appealing to me both ethically, taste-wise and health-wise. As for cheese, I will feel sick now if I eat too much, stomach pains again, really full and heavy and bloated. It's not nice! I was never a big cheese eater anyway, only a bit of Roquefort or Camembert here and there, I liked the strong taste!

Slightly off topic - I found some dairy free FUDGE today. Gonna go buy it on the weekend and save it til Christmas. It was quite expensive at just under 5 euros. But Fudge would be one of the things I occasionally slip up on, so this is a BIG DISCOVERY for me! Very happy with that. I've seen it online, but can never be bothered to order food over the internet.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭entropi

The only time i might slightly eat something bad is a stop at a chipper or Mickey D's for some chips...thats it:D

And i'd want to have a fair few scoops into me before i'd consider that:P

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Never have, hopefully never will. let's see what alcohol says about it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭Michellenman

I never consciously slip up. It's never been the case (so far anyway) where I just couldn't prevent myself from eating something non-vegetarian or I wasn't able to resist the temptation. There have been one or two occasions where I've realised afterwards that something wasn't veggie or I just wasn't on the ball and had something and only copped after (about a month in to the vegetarianism I had a vodka jelly shot, totally forgot about geletin :o) but I don't beat myself up about it or anything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

I do like a bit of cheese :o and when I go home my parents have generally done a run to the market for fancy expensive ones especially for me, so I'd feel bad if I didn't eat them. I try to stick to the soft ones though coz of rennet and stuff. As for meat I can't ever see a situation where I'd (knowingly and willingly) eat it, though I have tried when people have offered me money to. Couldn't do it, dead animal flesh gross.

I hate it when vegetarians are so up themselves though, they really shouldn't be that way when they continue to guzzle down dairy.

Eh say what? How are these vegetarians so up themselves?

I don't have a moral objection to using animals products.
    I wouldn't mind coming back as an Irish dairy cow myself.
    I used to go out with a Dairy farmer, and he nicknamed me after his favorite one. That is how much he thought of her/me. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭Censorsh!t

I don't think I've consciously slipped up.
    There has been a few instances when I've realised after that there has been rennet in the cheese I've eaten. In fact funnily enough, my mom used use a cheese with rennet to make me my special veggie dish. Made sure she got a different one next time!

• Registered Users Posts: 806 ✭✭✭AssaultedPeanut

haha meanie!!!!!
    Slightly off topic - I found some dairy free FUDGE today. Gonna go buy it on the weekend and save it til Christmas. It was quite expensive at just under 5 euros. But Fudge would be one of the things I occasionally slip up on, so this is a BIG DISCOVERY for me! Very happy with that. I've seen it online, but can never be bothered to order food over the internet.

Only yesterday I was asked to go buy some fudge for a friend and I was drooling at the stand in the Ilac centre buying it. I loved fudge when I was vegetarian. So I insist you tell me where you found this fudgey oasis?:)

On topic - About a week or two after going vegan, I came home one night, absolutely trolleyed, and made a big sarnie with Quorn Fillets only in the morning did I realise what I'd done. It was just because I was so used to eating them I guess:o But that was over 2&a half years ago, nothing to report since

• Advertisement

Only yesterday I was asked to go buy some fudge for a friend and I was drooling at the stand in the Ilac centre buying it. I loved fudge when I was vegetarian. So I insist you tell me where you found this fudgey oasis?:)

It's in a health food shop on Rathmines Upper, I have no idea what the place is called!

On topic - I got a load of vegan sushi the other night except one had a sweet egg roll on top of it and when I picked it off the shelf I just did it automatically without thinking, even though I knew it was egg! My boyfriend asked me what I'd got so I went through them with him and he suddenly laughed at me and called me the stupidest vegan ever LOL!!! Luckily I swapped with a friend for some aubergine ones!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Aoifums

I ate a bit of hot, freshly cooked chicken about a year after I went veggie, just to see if I still liked it. And geletine and rennet before I knew they existed :( I don't think I've slipped up on meat since though.

But the amount of times I've had some form of dairy in the last year. Just isn't nice. Like when I found out that Starbucks hot chocolate still had dairy in it. After I've had about 100!!! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭Thoushaltnot

It's in a health food shop on Rathmines Upper, I have no idea what the place is called!

Are you thinking of the Hop Sack? 'Tis in the Swan Centre, near the Mickey Dees entrance, before Dunnes. Lovely people, they are there quite a while, I think they have a blog now. And I'm pretty sure the shop is veg*n, as opposed to the likes of Listons, which is a deli with a great selection of veg*n stuff but sells animal corpse products as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,445 ✭✭✭Absurdum

Are you thinking of the Hop Sack? 'Tis in the Swan Centre, near the Mickey Dees entrance, before Dunnes. Lovely people, they are there quite a while, I think they have a blog now. And I'm pretty sure the shop is veg*n, as opposed to the likes of Listons, which is a deli with a great selection of veg*n stuff but sells animal corpse products as well.

quick gooogle...

http://www.hopsack.ie/shop/

thanks for making me spend loadsssssssss of money:p

No, it's well up past Tescos in Rathmines, not the Hop Sack. That shop is really good though... but they aren't fully vegan.

Advertisement