Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Just 55pc of mothers breastfeed newborns

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Absolute and total b0ll0x

I cant bear this type of sanctimonious claptrap.

Its nothing to do with modesty!

Its the mothers decision and there is nothing wrong with that. The mother is still a person with rights. Rights that are not superceded by the child.

She has already given up everything while pregnant and birth might have ruined her sex life forever and now she is supposed to sacrifice her tits too?

NO !
    Wow, way to selectively interpret a post. Where did I say women should be forced to breastfeed? They should be strongly encouraged to do so. You make it out as if childrearing is some horrific torture that women are forced to endure.

When a woman CHOOSES to get pregnant, she should accept the things that come along with doing the right thing by the child you've CHOSEN to have.

• Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭jimmyendless

Breast feeding is not always easy or practical for new mothers (eg lots of babies just won't suck) so it's not always an option.

There are a few issues that can hinder breastfeeding but most of them can be resolved be it over-supply, under-supply or stress and pressure on the baby and mother. The hospital environment is not ideal for birth or breastfeeding in general and from my personal experience many midwifes can be outdated and misinformed on breastfeeding issues.

My daughter couldn't breastfeed and we were kept back in the hospital for the first week and my partner had to use the breastpump. The morning we returned home my daughter latched on by herself.

Young breastfeeding from their mothers is a completely natural occurrence and throughout mankind's development it has been a newborns only source of sustenance. Nature did not let breastfeeding to chance. It is not pot luck who can feed and who can't. As Einstein said "I am convinced that God does not play dice".

So if a mother can't breastfeed their is more than likely a solvable issue that can be resolved but the health system has this attitude of "sure give him/her a bottle". It's sad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭Oh The Humanity

tallaght01 wrote: »
    I'm sure the mother's rights to not breastfeed ARE enshrined in law, but that's not usually the primary issue when making these decisions.

The Law? Where are you getting that idea from?
    Your tits don't get wrecked from breastfeeding. That's a huge myth.

Eh, I think you'll find they do. They lose mass and become saggy. That's why so many women end up getting lifts/implants to restore what breatfeeding damaged.
    Women have breastfed for years and years. It's rare for a situation to arise where someone can't breastfeed. But the situation often arises where it's difficult.

I know.
    In the hospital, we call them the breast feeding gestapo.

We are calling them the Breastapo on this thread!

seamus wrote: »
    Wow, way to selectively interpret a post. Where did I say women should be forced to breastfeed?

Seamus, where did I say you said that?
    They should be strongly encouraged to do so. You make it out as if childrearing is some horrific torture that women are forced to endure.

They are 'strongly encouraged' -more than that they are bullied and people attempt to place blame and shame on them if they cant do it.
    Childrearing is for the most part horrific torture. Any honest mother will tell you that out straight.
    When a woman CHOOSES to get pregnant, she should accept the things that come along with doing the right thing by the child you've CHOSEN to have.

No, actually Seamus. You are assuming breastfeeding automatically comes along with having a kid. It doesn't. Most people want to give it a shot. But some dont and thats their business.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,405 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Eh, I think you'll find they do. They lose mass and become saggy.

After you lose 10 kilos overnight, everythign that had previously been taut and full becomes emptier and saggier. It's nothing to do with breastfeeding. Breastfeeding actually helps the body to return to its previous shape.

Why exactly are you getting all hysterical about people questioning an anomalous statistic?

• Advertisement

After you lose 10 kilos overnight, everythign that had previously been taut and full becomes emptier and saggier. It's nothing to do with breastfeeding. Breastfeeding actually helps the body to return to its previous shape.

Ah me b0ll0x, you ask any woman to show you her norks before and after breatfeeding. Before nice roundy, bouncy and pert. After two empty pillowcases. To say otherwise is denial.
    Why exactly are you getting all hysterical about people questioning an anomalous statistic?

Im not getting hysterical about that. I'm annoyed at the breastapo. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Seamus, where did I say you said that?
    Its the mothers decision and there is nothing wrong with that. The mother is still a person with rights. Rights that are not superceded by the child.
    I never said otherwise.
    Childrearing is for the most part horrific torture. Any honest mother will tell you that out straight.
    Torture implies pain inflicted upon you by someone else outside of your control. Childrearing is at no point something "inflicted" upon a mother. She chose it at some point in the entire life cycle.
    No, actually Seamus. You are assuming breastfeeding automatically comes along with having a kid. It doesn't.
    ...So then why do womens' breasts begin to produce milk after childbirth if breastfeeding isn't something which comes along naturally with having a child?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

beachbabe wrote: »
    My cousin lives in England, she had the Public Health Nurse calling 3 to 4 times a day to support her with breast feeding when she was discharged from hospital. That kind of support does not exist here unfortunately. I am pregnant and certainly intend to try breast feeding when babs arrives.

If you take the 'Domino' route here in Dublin (Holles St) the midwives will call out to your house every day for the first week, to help you with your breast feeding + anything else baby related.

The Domino scheme isnt for everybody, but you should check it out, we sware by it and if it hadn't been for their midwives we wouldn't be breastfeeding now (three months & going strong > six months hopefully).

P.S. Many 'Domino' midwives (Holles St) are sent over to England for training.

You said, I said that you said ....urgh.....I never said you said women should be forced to breastfeed. OK ! Thats that cleared up.

Torture implies pain inflicted upon you by someone else outside of your control. Childrearing is at no point something "inflicted" upon a mother. She chose it at some point in the entire life cycle.

Listen women inflict it on themselves without realising what they are getting themselves into. Its a horror show. We all know that. Half the torture comes from the realisation that what they pictured as blissfull fulfillment is 1% of it. The rest is meaningless drudgery, repetition, draining, miserable, painful, annoying never ending, soul destroying purgatory!
    So then why do womens' breasts begin to produce milk after childbirth if breastfeeding isn't something which comes along naturally with having a child?

If they dont feed the child the milk dries up in a few days. So nature created a mechanism where the woman has a choice.

Are you being ridiculously melodramatic just for the sake of it?

• Advertisement

You said, I said that you said ....urgh.....I never said you said women should be forced to breastfeed. OK ! Thats that cleared up.

Listen women inflict it on themselves without realising what they are getting themselves into. Its a horror show. We all know that. Half the torture comes from the realisation that what they pictured as blissfull fulfillment is 1% of it. The rest is meaningless drudgery, repetition, draining, miserable, painful, annoying never ending, soul destroying purgatory!

If they dont feed the child the milk dries up in a few days. So nature created a mechanism where the woman has a choice.

Well the supply of milk is determined by the stimulation the breast gets so the more breastfeeding the baby does the more milk that will be produced. The mechanism of the milk drying up could be natures system if a woman loses a child, god forbid. As far as it giving the woman a choice, that explanation doesn't really fly with me. Anyway its impossible to tell, we can only guess natures intentions. Sometimes nature does things that don't made sense............or maybe we just can't fathom the reasons.

Are you being ridiculously melodramatic just for the sake of it?

Yes, but I still stand by everything I say.

People don't have to breastfeed if they don't want to and they shouldn't be subjected to these smug, worthy types shaking their heads sadly tut tutting at them.

Its their own business. No one has a right to judge them!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭Gone Drinking

This thread sucks tits

• Registered Users Posts: 6,900 ✭✭✭Quality

It may be their own business, But you cannot stop people from judging..

As said before, when I tell people that I am still breast feeding my 11 month old I get judged.. The artificial feeding mothers judge me the most.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭laura l

i hate these "shocking" statistics.
    BF suits some in raising their child, it doesn't suit others.

some babies just don't latch on. sometimes mothers want to BF but have to reconsider after breasts getting engorged, cracked bloody nipples or getting mastitis. sometimes frequent breastfeeding especially through the night on a longterm basis can wear a new mother down, thus affecting her milk flow and energy in looking after a baby.

of course breastmilk is brilliant for babies. however i don't think it's fair to automatically assume that mothers who formula feed are mothers who just can't be bothered to breastfeed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,013 ✭✭✭kincsem

I lived in Africa for a few years in the 1970s. About 100% of women there choose breastfeeding.

laura l wrote: »
    i hate these "shocking" statistics.
    BF suits some in raising their child, it doesn't suit others.

some babies just don't latch on. sometimes mothers want to BF but have to reconsider after breasts getting engorged, cracked bloody nipples or getting mastitis. sometimes frequent breastfeeding especially through the night on a longterm basis can wear a new mother down, thus affecting her milk flow and energy in looking after a baby.

these issues can be managed I believe. It's can be very hard for some mothers and easy for others but there is method so manage the different symptoms instead of giving up completely but it is not hard to see why people would give up because of them and when they reoccur.
    laura l wrote: »
    of course breastmilk is brilliant for babies. however i don't think it's fair to automatically assume that mothers who formula feed are mothers who just can't be bothered to breastfeed.

I completely agree. People can easily jump to that conclusion and that is rubbish. No one knows what other people have to deal with.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,331 ✭✭✭✭bronte

The day I'd let someone tell me what to do with my own goddamn tits.
    If you want to breastfeed , fine.
    If someone expresses a desire not to, kindly piss off and allow them to get on with their lives.
    I'm adopted and was bottle fed, I was still an a-student.
    These breast-feeding pushers are as bad as the natural birth brigade.
    It's all a matter of personal choice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

For a supposed 'breastfeeding' Thread, there's a lot of testosterone in some of these posts!

With all the bickering, did anyone read Post#40?

People don't have to breastfeed if they don't want to and they shouldn't be subjected to these smug, worthy types shaking their heads sadly tut tutting at them.

bronte wrote:
    The day I'd let someone tell me what to do with my own goddamn tits.
    If you want to breastfeed , fine.
    If someone expresses a desire not to, kindly piss off and allow them to get on with their lives.

I'm adopted and was bottle fed, I was still an a-student.

These breast-feeding pushers are as bad as the natural birth brigade.
    It's all a matter of personal choice.

I don't think anyone is saying otherwise, but some posters will use any excuse to get on a 'don't repress me' high-horse. Again, nobody (who matters) is challenging anyone's rights to do or choose anything, just wondering why the rate of choice in question is so out of whack with the rest of the world.

Stupid analogy perhaps, but if 55% of Irish people had never eaten a vegetable would you not wonder why that was or just start screaming about how nobody has the right to force you to eat green beans?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,331 ✭✭✭✭bronte

I don't think anyone is saying otherwise, but some posters will use any excuse to get on a 'don't repress me' high-horse. Again, nobody (who matters) is challenging anyone's rights to do or choose anything, just wondering why the rate of choice in question is so out of whack with the rest of the world.

Stupid analogy perhaps, but if 55% of Irish people had never eaten a vegetable would you not wonder why that was or just start screaming about how nobody has the right to force you to eat green beans?

I'm gonna assume that eating green beans doesn't make your nipples raw and bloody there.

bronte wrote: »
    I'm gonna assume that eating green beans doesn't make your nipples raw and bloody there.

It depends what you do with them before you eat them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭MrMatisse

fathers should take up the slack.

And again everyone is conveniently ignoring the fact that women here have to work, whether they like it or not.

From the birth onwards they are on a clock, dreading the day they have to go back to full time work, to pay that mortgage, that it will take two people 35 years of working full time to pay off.

I've heard my friends before they even have the baby saying they might breastfeed for a while, let the baby get the colostrum at least. But that they are not going to take it past a month. It's too agonising when the time comes to part.

We Irish don't have the luxury of being able to throw ourselves into blissful type Motherhood as in Sweeden, Denmark and all those other enlightened places. The way sh1t is set up here is .....well....sh1t.

Motherhood here from what I can see is all about three hours sleep a night, dropping off a sleeping baby in PJ's and a starfish suit to creche at 6.30 in the morning. Commuting to work, trying to jam everything in, do the supermarket on their lunchbreak, breaking their balls all afterboon. Try to get out on time commute home, collect tired baby from creche, cook full nutritious meal from scratch, prepare everything for tomorrow, babies stuff to eat in creche, other kids lunches, do the washing, clean the kitchen, deal with the post/bills/personal admin/house finances, then screw your husband like a vixen etc etc until they collapse into the bed again for another 3 hours....

Thats our reality......These stupid studies going on about how it is in Germany and fcuking Sweeden, PLEASE !!!

Camelot wrote: »
    For a supposed 'breastfeeding' Thread, there's a lot of testosterone in some of these posts!

With all the bickering, did anyone read Post#40?

i did! i think that's a great scheme to have (don't live in that neck of the woods though!)
    i have to say IMO there are very few places where a mother can breastfeed comfortably here in public, i know of 1 shopping centre that has cubicles for BFing mothers. as regards BFing on a bench somewhere or in a restaurant, even with a cellular blanket covering the baby's head you will still get looks from people. other options privacywise are smelly public toilet cubicles or sitting baking in the car trying to do it, totally restricted.
    i wonder how our facilities here rate with those abroad to see if this may influence the figures?

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭Ddad

There are an awful lot of people on this thread extelling the right to forego breastfeeding. Most of this is under the guise of difficulty. The baby doesn't have a choice in how it is fed. It can't determine where it's nutrition comes from. Nobody can argue that breastmilk is the healthiest long and short term answer to a childs nutritional needs.

It is a a parents responsiblity to do what is best for its child. I can't brestfeed (lack of equipment), but my wife fed all of the children; even though she had a hard time on the first, because she knew that it was the best option for them.

In the case of breat versus bottle and the statistics quoted for Ireland it's a case of social acceptability and in some cases convenience rather than the benefit of the baby.

If you have the baby you may as well do your best for them; the research doesn't support bottles being the better option.

I think that some view brstfeeding as an attack on their personal freedom and God knows we've a bit of a warped pseudo sexual view of it in certain elements of society.

In essence Breast feedin is best for the child and any justification of formula feeding over breast makes the health of the child a secondary issue, surely thats wrong?

Yes,People don't have to breastfeed if they don't want to and they shouldn't be subjected to smug, worthy types shaking their heads sadly tut tutting at them.

if you do BF you get the ones tut tutting at getting your boob out in public..damned if you do, damned if you don't!

And again everyone is conveniently ignoring the fact that women here have to work, whether they like it or not.

From the birth onwards they are on a clock, dreading the day they have to go back to full time work, to pay that mortgage, that it will take two people 35 years of working full time to pay off.

I've heard my friends before they even have the baby saying they might breastfeed for a while, let the baby get the colostrum at least. But that they are not going to take it past a month. It's too agonising when the time comes to part.

We Irish don't have the luxury of being able to throw ourselves into blissful type Motherhood as in Sweeden, Denmark and all those other enlightened places. The way sh1t is set up here is .....well....sh1t.

Motherhood here from what I can see is all about three hours sleep a night, dropping off a sleeping baby in PJ's and a starfish suit to creche at 6.30 in the morning. Commuting to work, trying to jam everything in, do the supermarket on their lunchbreak, breaking their balls all afterboon. Try to get out on time commute home, collect tired baby from creche, cook full nutritious meal from scratch, prepare everything for tomorrow, babies stuff to eat in creche, other kids lunches, do the washing, clean the kitchen, deal with the post/bills/personal admin/house finances, then screw your husband like a vixen etc etc until they collapse into the bed again for another 3 hours....

Thats our reality......These stupid studies going on about how it is in Germany and fcuking Sweeden, PLEASE !!!

My god you sound so angry and if you do all that sh1t you should be. Irish society isn't designed for children or families and putting woman and mothers in that position is ridiculous. Tribes in jungles live a more comfortable communal life where all the mothers help everyone and all that malark but I don't see us going back to that if we ever were there.

Anyway the system is ****e but if you want the average amount of things (alot of things) new houses and new cars it must be supported by two salaries. We are being dragging into this 'norm'.

My god you sound so angry and if you do all that sh1t you should be. Irish society isn't designed for children or families and putting woman and mothers in that position is ridiculous.

I don't do all that....thankfully but most Mothers I know do. Except one who is on benefits and spends all day with her kids and is happy as a lark. As far as I understand the above is the norm for working mothers though.
    Tribes in jungles live a more comfortable communal life where all the mothers help everyone and all that malark but I don't see us going back to that if we ever were there.

Anyway the system is ****e but if you want the average amount of things (alot of things) new houses and new cars it must be supported by two salaries. We are being dragging into this 'norm'.

Yeh, a lot of people did, now some of my friends who have this (house, 2 cars) are so sad and trapped because it means they have to do the impossible day after day with no respite. They can let the cars go but they have no choice with the house as most are in negative equity.

There was a show on the radio last night similar thing. Saying kids of working mothers are more likely to be obese. Sure, Im sure they are. People rang in who still made the effort to cook from scratch every day despite working full time, sometimes one on night ****ys the other on day shifts, the one on night shifts minding the kids in the day etc etc...

Tribes in jungles have it right. It takes more that two people to rear a child. Its all messed up here.

• Advertisement

How dare you deny me the right not to have a mortgage and a new car?!

(am I doing it right?)

So, so far the reasons stack up as such:
    - Irish nipples are abnormally prone to bleeding/dissolving
    - oul wans would look at yeh
    - your jugs go floppy
    - have to to to work the day after the birth
    - DON'T YOU DARE OPPRESS ME!

Any more gems?

Advertisement