Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Just 55pc of mothers breastfeed newborns

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Kaybe wrote: »
    BostonB - Maybe if you read the posts properly you might see people making some valid points. You state that I "can only see one side, that's the problem" - the problem obviously (implied) is that I'm intolerant of other women who chose not to breastfeed. Nothing could be further from the truth. I respectfully suggest that you read my posts again and you will see that I've clearly made the following statements :......

Actually I made a general comment about rose tinted glasses and cranks. Like wise my comment implied that theres a problem if you (plural not you singular) only post one sided view points. Again a general comment. It applies to both sides equally.

neeb wrote: »
    http://www.babymilkaction.org/pages/uklaw.html
    Breastfeeding rates in Europe
    In countries where there is little or no advertising and where the hospital practices support mothers who want to breastfeed, breastfeeding rates are very high:Norway - 99%, Sweden 97%, Denmark 98%, Poland 93%, Rumania 91%, Czech Republic 92%.
    In contrast, where the bulk of health information is provided by the baby food manufacturers, breastfeeding rates are very low: Ireland 31%, France 50%, Scotland, 50% (in some parts of Glasgow less than 7%)

For a minute there I thought you'd made it up because I couldn't see Ireland mentioned anywhere in the stats when they were originally posted.

We have people saying they got no support, others saying theres loads of support, then that the milk companies are forcing their product on to mothers especially in the third world, so that they don't breast feed leading to other problems, then others say that poor countries 100% breast feed. That there are no problems, but people saying they gave up because of problems.
    The World Health Organization only sees one side after years of research.

Let me google that for you...
    Less than 35% of infants worldwide are exclusively breastfed for even the first 4 months of life, and complementary feeding practices are frequently ill timed, inappropriate and unsafe. A World Health Assembly resolution recommends exclusive breastfeeding for the first 6 months and timely introduction of appropriate foods. This is supported by a recent publication on the nutrient adequacy of exclusive breastfeeding - see publications.

From what I've read elsewhere. There doesn't seem to be a significant problem with bottle feeding in developed countries, the problem is mainly in poor countries. While infant mortality has decreased in developed countries as bottle feeding has increased, thats probably due to better heath facilities. Therefore it is likely to also have a bearing on comparing different countries in the developed word. Likewise problems of low or no production seems only to mainly be an issue in the developed world for unknown reasons. Also infant mortality is effected by other factors too like wars, famines etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 450 ✭✭taytothief

my opinion=if you can, you should.
    personally, i question the benefits of having my child consuming "ready meals" every day.
    Do you eat ready meals every day?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭Gone Drinking

This thread is STILL on the first page?

You're just milking it now..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭wolfpawnat

Seems to be in other countries, judging by the stats...

Sleipnir wrote: »
    Seemed to work out okay for millions of years before the bottle was invented.
    Still works in the animal kingdom too.

Breast is best for the baby.
    Bottle is best for the mother.

I am a mother to a 7month old little man. I always want to breastfeed. But he was born by emergency section and kept in neonates for 12 hours after he was born. For that 12 hours he was fed bottled food and when he finally came to me he wouldn't latch for anything. I tried for the whole stay in hospital and for 6 weeks afterwards. I had to express to feed him and it was very disheartening for me. Because he was not latching at all and I was only expressing the milk supply was never great and when my c-scar got infected it dried up completely.

I get really annoyed when people make comments about not breast feeding him to me. I did my best, but it didn't work. I can't help that.!!!!!
    beachbabe wrote: »
    My cousin lives in England, she had the Public Health Nurse calling 3 to 4 times a day to support her with breast feeding when she was discharged from hospital. That kind of support does not exist here unfortunately. I am pregnant and certainly intend to try breast feeding when babs arrives.

Yes here there is no help in trying to entice the baby to feed, you are just giving out to the whole time, and the nurse made it agony the whole time trying to force my nipple into my little fellas mouth.
    Eh they dont want to. Which is their business. I cant believe people are trying to make people ashamed of not wanting to breastfeed.

A small pain in your nipple? Have you ever seen a woman's nipples after a baby who will not latch on properly has got at them?

We are talking open raw tissue, chunks of nipple gone, baby puking up blood and tissue.....not a small pain in your nipple for a few days :rolleyes:

Ok that is a bit over dramatic, they crack and become VERY sore, but they don't disintegrate. Otherwise women would never have been able to continue it. Plus it would be a terrible feck up on a evolutionary scale!

I do believe all mothers should try to breastfeed. But since the midwives are very insistent but unhelpful they need to retaught how to help women!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭gingerhousewife

wolfpawnat wrote: »
    I do believe all mothers should try to breastfeed. But since the midwives are very insistent but unhelpful they need to retaught how to help women!!!!!!!!

I agree that the biggest reason women don't continue breastfeeding is that the support in the hospitals is completely inadequate. Even in your case, well done for persevering as long as you did, but the midwives should only have fed your baby from a cup, not a bottle, so as not to cause nipple confusion. They could have supported you much better, and helped you to overcome the latching problems. But they didn't.

Too often women (like yourself) who really want to breastfeed are not given the required support. Well done for giving your baby the best start in life (any amount of breastmilk is better than none - 6 weeks is more than most manage!). You should be proud of yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

But I want them to do it. As I have said above we as tax payers are paying for this through the drugs payment scheme and hospitals. I have a right to an opnion about how everyone in the country feeds their child.

Breastfeeding is not just feeding, its also providing your baby with an immune system. I think its the first important decision you make for your child.

But you want them to do it? Well I want world peace, a decent government and george clooney in my bed every night but it ain't going to happen!!

You do have a right to an opinion correct, what you don't have is the right to shove that opinon down everyone's throat and insist its your way or the high way.

I agree breast is best totally but I also agree that every person has their own personal reasons for what they choose to do / not do in life and its not my place or anyone else's to judge.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭Gyalist

So apart from not being as good looking or as slim as their European counterparts, it's now apparent that the average Irish woman's tits are also more fragile and more likely to disappear/disintegrate; or more alarmingly, not produce any milk in the first place, if they decide to breastfeed.

I'm slowly beginning to understand the attraction of male AH-ers to non-Irish women.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

I can see both sides of the argument ...i breast fed ...i think a lot of the problem is midwives not being realy honest with with women about birth and breast feeding ...childbirth is painful and when you first start putting you baby on the breast its sore especially if the baby has trouble latching on ...yet midwives seem to gloss over the pain of labour and the soreness ( at first ) of breastfeeding and play up the positives of the whole experience for women ...maybe its understandable you don't want to frighten women ..but i think it leads to unrealistic expectations of the whole experiences...

the argument i do have a problem it the one about not breast feeding so you breasts wont change..the message need to go out that you do not need perfect breasts and a perfect body to have a great sex life! ...some how we seem to have arrived at the idea that perky breasts and a slim body = the only way of being sexy ...and thats simply wrong

im surprised no one have brought up the whole middle class argument...if you ask any midwives who is most lightly to breast feed ..the answer is older middle class mums...and the reason is because breast is best and middle class parent will give there child every advantage they can ..plus they are more lightly to have supportive partners and a lot of other supports in there lives...i suspect the reason the Norway rate is so high is because of the superb social service they have which offers a Hugh amount of support to new mothers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭neeb

BostonB wrote: »
    We have people saying they got no support, others saying theres loads of support, then that the milk companies are forcing their product on to mothers especially in the third world, so that they don't breast feed leading to other problems, then others say that poor countries 100% breast feed. That there are no problems, but people saying they gave up because of problems.

Let me google that for you...

From what I've read elsewhere. There doesn't seem to be a significant problem with bottle feeding in developed countries, the problem is mainly in poor countries. While infant mortality has decreased in developed countries as bottle feeding has increased, thats probably due to better heath facilities. Therefore it is likely to also have a bearing on comparing different countries in the developed word. Likewise problems of low or no production seems only to mainly be an issue in the developed world for unknown reasons. Also infant mortality is effected by other factors too like wars, famines etc.

So Irish babies don't need an immune system?

There are reams of studies done on the benefits in developed countries
    http://www.nctpregnancyandbabycare.com/_files/documents/577e7e2fbb9c47af75b4db3fd388c304/BF5Breastfeedingbenefitsall.pdf

Saying that other factors are involved in infant mortality does not take into account that these studies are designed not to take the other circumstances into account. For example when they are studying if breastfeeding protects from cancer they aslo make sure that the subjects of the study are from similar home, not half from homes where everyone smokes and the other from smoke free homes. Its standard scientific method.

eviltwin wrote: »
    But you want them to do it? Well I want world peace, a decent government and george clooney in my bed every night but it ain't going to happen!!

You do have a right to an opinion correct, what you don't have is the right to shove that opinon down everyone's throat and insist its your way or the high way.

I agree breast is best totally but I also agree that every person has their own personal reasons for what they choose to do / not do in life and its not my place or anyone else's to judge.

I have a right to express my feelings about the tax money in this country is spent. I contribute one third of my income to it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

mariaalice wrote: »
    im surprised no one have brought up the whole middle class argument...if you ask any midwives who is most lightly to breast feed ..the answer is older middle class mums...and the reason is because breast is best and middle class parent will give there child every advantage they can
    :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭we'llallhavetea_old

i didnt breast feed and i never will. i dont like it (just my opinion, before i get annihilated) my boobies are for sexy time and i dont want my offspring near them thank you very much!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭kelle

I was amazed when my last baby was born that I was the only Irish mother breastfeeding in the hospital!
    I found it inconvenient and frustrating, but I kept going because I felt it was best for my babies - I'm such a worrier I felt it was one less worry on my mind!

So Irish babies don't need an immune system?
    method.

Quality. Millions of people walking around with no immune system.

Quality. Millions of people walking around with no immune system.

Babies generally don't walk until they are 1, then we usually refer to them as toddlers.

Breastfeeding Builds Your Baby’s Immune System
    Newborns are still developing and do not have a mature immune system to protect them from illness. Antibodies, or immune molecules, in a mother’s breast milk are transferred to the baby, giving them immunities to illnesses that the mother is immune to. The converse is also true--if your newborn is exposed to a germ, she will transfer it back to the mother while nursing. The mother’s body will then make antibodies to that particular germ and transfer them back to the baby at the next feeding. Studies have also shown that babies who are breastfed exclusively have better functioning immune systems in the long-term as well.
    Formula-fed babies do not get the same immune boost and have higher rates of:
    • Middle ear infections
    • Pneumonia
    • Gastroenteritis (stomach flu)
    • Urinary tract infections
    • Necrotizing enterocolitis, a digestive tract disorder that is a leading killer of premature infants
    Breastfed infants, on the other hand, have added protection against:
    • Heart disease
    • Immune system cancers such as lymphoma
    • Bowel diseases such as Crohn's disease
    • Juvenile rheumatoid arthritis
    • Asthma and allergies
    • Respiratory infections
    • Eczema
    • Type 1 and type 2 diabetes

Look at that. It now appears bottlefed babies and adults now DO have an immune system. Great stuff!

Babies generally don't walk until they are 1, then we usually refer to them as toddlers.

Babies and toddlers aren't people?

Oh dear

• Advertisement

Babies and toddlers aren't people?

Oh dear

They are the best people.
    I said Irish babies don't need an immune system, you said Millions of people walking around without an immune system, I said its babies who would not be walking yet..

The immune system will develop but an infants immature immune system is supplemented by his mothers if he is breastfed. Without breastfeeding there is a gap.

I fail to see what being Irish or walking has to with it. If you can be sweeping scarmongering about having no immune system it makes no sense to be specific about being Irish or walking. It's irelevant.

I don't think anyone has posted that breast feeding isn't better. Given that. What is the point of scaremongering with crud like having no immune system. To encourage breast feeding the supports needs to be in the hospitals on the ground. If you don't have that all the ranting is for nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭dyl10

I'm still breastfeeding and I'm 26:eek:

I fail to see what being Irish or walking has to with it. If you can be sweeping scarmongering about having no immune system it makes no sense to be specific about being Irish or walking. It's irelevant.

I don't think anyone has posted that breast feeding isn't better. Given that. What is the point of scaremongering with crud like having no immune system. To encourage breast feeding the supports needs to be in the hospitals on the ground. If you don't have that all the ranting is for nothing.

Walking and Irish.
    We are talking about Irish babies. I don't really care what people in the rest of the world do but I am paying for the "lifestyle" choice of Irish mothers when they choose the bottle.
    Newborns are born with an immature immune system, by the time they are walking they have a more mature immune system. They start to produce their own antibodies in the first year. I really don't see where you are coming from?

There is support out there, you have to go and find it. Assuming it will work because you will "give it a go" in a crowded busy hospital is why the drop off rates are so high. That and the type of repressed, jealous, narrow minded attitude shown so clearly on this thread.

I have a right to express my feelings about the tax money in this country is spent. I contribute one third of my income to it.

Guess what love..so do I.

Fair play to you for being so gung ho about it but you have no right to shove your judgemental views down my gob.

I'm a veggie, personally I think a veggie diet is the best way to go for kids and adults but you dont see me shoving up statistics about the benefits of a meat free diet or implying people who feed their kids meat are bad parents.

Why? Because I dont believe what I choose to do is what is going to be right for everyone, its called being a bit more open minded and flexible - something you should try.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

Walking and Irish.
    We are talking about Irish babies. I don't really care what people in the rest of the world do but I am paying for the "lifestyle" choice of Irish mothers when they choose the bottle.
    Newborns are born with an immature immune system, by the time they are walking they have a more mature immune system. They start to produce their own antibodies in the first year. I really don't see where you are coming from?

There is support out there, you have to go and find it. Assuming it will work because you will "give it a go" in a crowded busy hospital is why the drop off rates are so high. That and the type of repressed, jealous, narrow minded attitude shown so clearly on this thread.

And aparently a baby's immune system is kick-started even before breast feeding by it's passage through the birth canal, so I suppose we should be guilt-tripping mums that have to have caesarians too, hmmph?

And aparently a baby's immune system is kick-started even before breast feeding by it's passage through the birth canal, so I suppose we should be guilt-tripping mums that have to have caesarians too, hmmph?

C sections are rarely the mothers choice. The immunity passed through the placenta at the time of birth is very important for babies but the breastfeeding give them much more immunity and keeps it up to date.

eviltwin wrote: »
    Guess what love..so do I.

Fair play to you for being so gung ho about it but you have no right to shove your judgemental views down my gob.

I'm a veggie, personally I think a veggie diet is the best way to go for kids and adults but you dont see me shoving up statistics about the benefits of a meat free diet or implying people who feed their kids meat are bad parents.

Why? Because I dont believe what I choose to do is what is going to be right for everyone, its called being a bit more open minded and flexible - something you should try.

I was a veggie for years. It was an adult choice to start and to finish. The babies don't get much choice in the breastfeeding stakes.

I am not open minded about breastfeeding, who said I was???. I think formula should be available on prescription only and therefore only available to mothers and babies who genuinely need it (the 1-2% with genuine problems). i think formula companies are acting unethically prompting formula as they do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

C sections are rarely the mothers choice. The immunity passed through the placenta at the time of birth is very important for babies but the breastfeeding give them much more immunity and keeps it up to date.
    That was my point, that like the majority of C sections, sometimes you don't have a choice and it's not fair to be criticised for it.

• Advertisement

I was a veggie for years. It was an adult choice to start and to finish. The babies don't get much choice in the breastfeeding stakes.

I am not open minded about breastfeeding, who said I was???. I think formula should be available on prescription only and therefore only available to mothers and babies who genuinely need it (the 1-2% with genuine problems). i think formula companies are acting unethically prompting formula as they do.

Its a free market and if a family want to spend money on formula they should be free to do so

And why even have formula...why dont you donate your milk to the babies who are in desperate need of it

Listen to yourself..you would think ireland is like a third world country with sick malnourished infants the way you bang on about it. It is a PERSONAL CHOICE....god I feel really sorry for your kids growing up with someone as close minded as you

Advertisement