Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Just 55pc of mothers breastfeed newborns

Options
1234568»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭magma69

It is absolutely crazy. We humans need to get over ourselves. We are mammals like many others and all the fake baby milk in the world will never change that. There isn't one reasonable argument against it. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

grenache wrote: »
    Forgive me here, i am only male, so i may have no business in this thread.
    Oh come on...
    I do feel sorry for the woman who was asked to leave the restaurant while breastfeeding her child. It was obviously dealt with in an inappropriate manner by the restaurant owner. I can however see how it would be discomforting for some customers to see breastfeeding in public. Yet if i was in charge there, i would have let it go and only approached the woman if a customer had complained.
    I don't see what's upsetting about it though - other than the thoughts going through the customer's heads, as opposed to the act itself. Breastfeeding mothers don't make a point of putting them on display, they cover them up as best they can, and the customers don't have to look.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

Dudess wrote: »
    Oh come on...

I don't see what's upsetting about it though - other than the thoughts going through the customer's heads, as opposed to the act itself. Breastfeeding mothers don't make a point of putting them on display, they cover them up as best they can, and the customers don't have to look.
    I know, and i wouldn't have a problem with it myself, but you know how icky some folk can be! Some are more easily offended than they should be.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

I'd love to know what all of the preaching potential fathers-to-be intend to do to help out the breastfeeding mother of their child as she spends around a half an hour at each of her eight to 12 sittings per day that occur on average every 90 minutes to three hours, breastfeeding their child for the first month of its life.

Shall he, perhaps, cook a meal? Do some laundry? Learn where the vaccum cleaner is kept? Iron something, perchance? Or shall he be irritated by the baby's crying, wonder why his partner appears disinterested in him, lament the mess the house is in and then take his disenfranchised ego to the pub where at least his mates will celebrate his virility?

I'd love to know what all of the preaching potential fathers-to-be intend to do to help out the breastfeeding mother of their child as she spends around a half an hour at each of her eight to 12 sittings per day that occur on average every 90 minutes to three hours, breastfeeding their child for the first month of its life.

Shall he, perhaps, cook a meal? Do some laundry? Learn where the vaccum cleaner is kept? Iron something, perchance? Or shall he be irritated by the baby's crying, wonder why his partner appears disinterested in him, lament the mess the house is in and then take his disenfranchised ego to the pub where at least his mates will celebrate his virility?
    There's more to life than male stereotyping you know. Some of us can actually cook, and even work the hoover! ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭ecom

ah yes, dont you just love it when you are being stereotyped!
    I was extremely suppoprtive of my wife breastfeeding. she didnt spend all the time above breastfeeding as you pointed out. After the first few days it was once every couple of hours, however yes I did cook, as always, did do laundry, as always, did clean the house, as always, love it when baby makes any sounds, including crying and dont go down to the pub at the drop of a hat. In fact I've been once in the 4 months since our baby was born.

If anything I feel a little left out at not being able to feed our baby, though I have given her the odd bottle feed or two.

Less of the stereotyping you!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭emmiou

Forgive me here, i am only male, so i may have no business in this thread. I do feel sorry for the woman who was asked to leave the restaurant while breastfeeding her child. It was obviously dealt with in an inappropriate manner by the restaurant owner. I can however see how it would be discomforting for some customers to see breastfeeding in public. Yet if i was in charge there, i would have let it go and only approached the woman if a customer had complained. Even then i would have offered her a sideroom in which to feed her child. Ordering someone to leave a premises for 'breastfeeding a child' is way OTT.

But asking her to stop breastfeeding was an illegal act. The management in the establishment are required to put the needs of the baby first and the person making the complaint can be asked to leave if needed, it is considered harassment.

Irish Law relating to breastfeeding in public:

The Equal Status Act (2000) protects people from discrimination and harassment (including sexual harassment) in the use of and access to a wide range of services including shops and restaurants. Protection for mums breastfeeding in public is provided under two of the nine discriminatory grounds covered by the Act –

The Gender and Family Status grounds.
    This Act helps mums to breastfeed comfortably in public places by protecting them from being discriminated against or harassed because they are breastfeeding. (Discrimination is less favourable treatment, for example, asking someone to leave a premises because they are breastfeeding.)

The Intoxicating Liquor Act (2003) - Section 19 protects against discrimination occurring in a public house and provides access to the District Court for redress. Harassment is unwanted conduct (of a sexual nature in the case of sexual harassment) related to any of the discriminatory grounds covered by the Equal Status Act which has the purpose or effect of violating a person's dignity and creating an intimidating, hostile, degrading, humiliating or offensive environment for the person, in this case a breastfeeding mother.

Side rooms that are available for breastfeeding are often also used for baby changing and have huge bins overflowing with dirty nappies, the bins are left unchanged for the day, and they tend not to be very pleasant places - I doubt you would choose to eat your lunch in such a room?

Manager from the mentioned pub defending his actions and the breastfeeding mother on Liveline today - maybe his attitude and that of the couple of crazy women callers on the show are the reason for the low figure of 55pc.

http://www.rte.ie/radio1/player_av.html?0,null,200,http://dynamic.rte.ie/quickaxs/209-rte-liveline-Monday.smil

It starts about 20 minutes into the show. The prevailing attitude seems to be that breastfeeding is fine as long as you go sit on your own, cloistered away from normal society! Just what a new mother, possibly already feeling isolated by being on maternity leave and the difficulties of getting out and about with a new baby needs to hear.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭we'llallhavetea_old

emmiou wrote: »
    Manager from the mentioned pub defending his actions and the breastfeeding mother on Liveline today - maybe his attitude and that of the couple of crazy women callers on the show are the reason for the low figure of 55pc.

http://www.rte.ie/radio1/player_av.html?0,null,200,http://dynamic.rte.ie/quickaxs/209-rte-liveline-Monday.smil

It starts about 20 minutes into the show. The prevailing attitude seems to be that breastfeeding is fine as long as you go sit on your own, cloistered away from normal society! Just what a new mother, possibly already feeling isolated by being on maternity leave and the difficulties of getting out and about with a new baby needs to hear.

i don't really think that this was a case of national hysteria, the man is obviously of an older generation, i'm sure a good bollocking onsite would have made him wary of doing this again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 633 ✭✭✭Warfi

I think most women would breastfeed if they could. However it's not the easiest job in the world to look after a baby. I can imagine new mothers would be keen to try breast feeding, but what with coming to terms with looking after the baby, trying to adjust, tyring to do everything right, sometimes there's so much stress on a new mother that breast feeding just doesn't happen. And when a new mother is trying her best to breast feed, and the nurses and doctors (and society in general, going by this thread) are on at her to breast feed, can you imagine how much of a failure you would feel if it just wasn't working out? Not to mention the added stress on top of looking after a new born.

I think the only people who have any right to tell a woman to breast feed are those who are trained to do so. And even at that, a woman's stress levels should be taken into account if she's finding it difficult to breast feed. I really can't imagine that a stressed mother would be too healthy for a baby either.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭laura l

i agree with this time frame definitely..every 3 hours approx, 15-20 mins each breast for the first month or so, which works out at at least 8 feeds a day. it does become slightly less frequent over time, depends whether or not you choose to feed on demand or try to get your baby into a set routine.

in antenatal classes i was told if you choose to breastfeed you feed the baby and your other half feeds you..i do think this was good advice and a very good way of sharing the workload!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭laura l

Warfi wrote: »
    I think most women would breastfeed if they could. However it's not the easiest job in the world to look after a baby. I can imagine new mothers would be keen to try breast feeding, but what with coming to terms with looking after the baby, trying to adjust, tyring to do everything right, sometimes there's so much stress on a new mother that breast feeding just doesn't happen. And when a new mother is trying her best to breast feed, and the nurses and doctors (and society in general, going by this thread) are on at her to breast feed, can you imagine how much of a failure you would feel if it just wasn't working out? Not to mention the added stress on top of looking after a new born.

I think the only people who have any right to tell a woman to breast feed are those who are trained to do so. And even at that, a woman's stress levels should be taken into account if she's finding it difficult to breast feed. I really can't imagine that a stressed mother would be too healthy for a baby either.

very well put Warfi.

Happy mother, happy baby.

i don't really think that this was a case of national hysteria, the man is obviously of an older generation, i'm sure a good bollocking onsite would have made him wary of doing this again.

I think this particular gentleman may have an insurance policy against ever receiving a good bollocking...
    http://www.independent.ie/national-news/the-day-a-man-handed-ahern--pound16500-in-a-dublin-pub-1245504.html

• Registered Users Posts: 2,705 ✭✭✭BrookieD

For that lady to be asked to leave a public house was downright stupidity of the highest order. Breast feeding is as natural as breathing and if some people has issues then let them leave the restaurant or wherever.

My wife is currently breast feeding our 2nd baby and has on occasion fed in public without so much as a glance from anyone. God help anyone who approached and asked her to stop or leave for “ that carry on!!!” She has every right to feed a hungry child in a public area if he needs it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

The woman herself made a great point on Joe Duffy...she said that if you went to that pub on a Saturday night you'd see more boobs on show and no one would be complaining to the owner.

It's a disgrace that she couldn't breastfeed in public. The most natural thing in the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,388 ✭✭✭Kernel

There's more to life than male stereotyping you know. Some of us can actually cook, and even work the hoover! ;)

Yeah, they're called metrosexuals.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,941 ✭✭✭caseyann

From the women i know who have tried it,was exhausting.Others have to work,and not good to have a baby who needs to feed off the breast when they have finished maternity leave and then have to ween the baby off anyway and on to a bottle.

Doesn't matter how they do it so long as the baby is fed and taken care of imo. Men would say its best cause they aren't the ones having to do it :D and if they were it would be outlawed :P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭whatdoicare

First off, I want to give you this image:
    New middle class mother BF with fag hanging out of her mouth and secret alcohol addiction living on ready meals and taking slimming tablets!
    Here's another image: Me as a premature baby being subjected to this!

Cut to many years later and me with Asthma and allergies aswell as a childhood of bowel problems, chest infections and eating problems!

Breast is not always best- mothers don't always eat right, stop smoking, taking drugs or drinking! That only happens in pretend imaginary land!

I personally will probably not BF past the first whatchamacallit immune building stage - not because of horror stories or any of that but because I'm an asthmatic and have a feeling that passing ventolin, becotide and most likely anithistamines and steroids onto my kid won't be the best idea I've ever had.

But that's just me and my experiences of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭JuliusCaesar

New middle class mother BF with fag hanging out of her mouth and secret alcohol addiction living on ready meals and taking slimming tablets!

Either you were born in the 60s or..........you're not middle class.:P

Kernel wrote: »
    Yeah, they're called metrosexuals.
    No, we're just 21st century males. You're confusing us with men who spend 10 minutes shaping their hair in the mirror.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭whatdoicare

Either you were born in the 60s or..........you're not middle class.:P
    Born in the 80's and yes, middle class. Folks own their house on a private estate, two new cars, gym memberships, private insurance, the whole shebang. Being middle class doesn't automatically mean intelligence or give someone cop on. My mom did what everyone else her age was doing - smoking like a chimney and downing slimming tablets like they were going out of fashion. She still doesn't believe in passive smoking ffs and thinks she's just the best mother ever for BF!

Advertisement