Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Left Handed V Right Handed (Poll now added)

• 01-10-2009 12:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭NiamhDunk

if you had a choice when you were born would you have preferred to be left handed or right handed....

im a rightie but if i had to choose i would definitely prefer to be a leftie. it just seems so much cooler. i suppose its an enigma of sorts.

what do ye think.

also, should there be a forum for left handed people, where they could discuss all they problems they might face on a daily basis etc etc...
    :D

Are you... 77 votes

Left handed?
    0%
    Right handed?
    100%
    CloverSupercellCreamy GoodnessRabiesPracticalChucky the treeSarnrain onkeano_afcThetajebuzAuversmelekalikimakaAmazotheamazingnovarockDayshagerTheGreatShrykejakfrostbluto63 77 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,763 ✭✭✭Jax Teller

NiamhDunk wrote: »
    if you had a choice when you were born would you have preferred to be left handed or right handed....

im a rightie but if i had to choose i would definitely prefer to be a leftie. it just seems so much cooler. i suppose its an enigma of sorts.

what do ye think.

also, should there be a forum for left handed people, where they could discuss all they problems they might face on a daily basis etc etc...
    :D
    im a rightie but ive got better accuracy kicking a ball with my left foot , i also play golf left handed just felt more comfortable that way , but i play snooker right handed .
    i know i know im a weirdo :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,811 ✭✭✭Gone Drinking

Left footed peno takers are soooo dodgy..

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

I use to be left handed... a nun forced me to utilise the right hand though... been as such ever since.

- Drav!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭shenanigans1982

I use to be left handed... a nun forced me to utilise the right hand though... been as such ever since.

- Drav!

But I bet you feel better since she forced the Devil out of you...I'd be left handed as its supposedly linked to the creative side of the brain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,056 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Cackhandedness is clearly a genetic defect that is found in roughly 10% of the population.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

Being Left Handed didn't do Paul McCartney any harm .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Latchy wrote: »

Or Jimi Hendrix, or Kurt Cobain, or Hitler

no wait..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 440 ✭✭3qsmavrod5twfe

Latchy wrote: »

Heather Mills.

That is all.

:cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

I think masturbating with your left hand would be weird.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 440 ✭✭3qsmavrod5twfe

That_Guy wrote: »
    I think masturbating with your left hand would be weird.

Try it out. Then try switching hands mid way without missing a stroke. You can thank me later.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

I'd be duel handed or whatever the fancy name for it is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,419 ✭✭✭allanb49

Left handed but only for writing, play guitar pool and other activities with the right

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,419 ✭✭✭allanb49

ScumLord wrote: »
    I'd be duel handed or whatever the fancy name for it is.

ambi dextierus

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

I'm a lefty myself, its a pain in the hole sometimes, I cant write on a whiteboard with a marker as my hand smudges it. We're much cooler than you common as muck righties though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

Heather Mills.

That is all.

:cool:
    Heather Mills. didn't play all those cool bass lines ,at least not with her left ,er right peg

krudler wrote: »
    Or Jimi Hendrix, or Kurt Cobain, or Hitler

no wait..
    Hitler played right handed bass ? with which band , the Stromtroopers ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,696 ✭✭✭trad

Right handed?
    The Latin word for left is sinister, that will tell you what they thought of left handed people.

I'm left handed and this is a right handed world from power tools to a scissors, checkbooks, the old school desks with the inkwells, even tea cups.

I play music and try get a left handed instrument in most diciplines is difficult. I have never seen a left handed player in an orchestra. Golf for a left hander must be interesting (I don't play). When I was an apprentice I got caught up in a maching because I was left handed so being a leftie in a right handed world is a bundle of laughs.

Us lefties think differently, we see things differently. The best description of left handed people I have heard is to imagine a troop of soldiers marching in fresh snow. They all march in the same footsteps. We reach the places they don't.
    Would I change - no.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 Brouhaha

trad wrote: »
    The Latin word for left is sinister

True, to be left-handed is to be sinistral

The Latin word for left is sinister, that will tell you what they thought of left handed people.

I'm left handed and this is a right handed world from power tools to a scissors, checkbooks, the old school desks with the inkwells, even tea cups.

I play music and try get a left handed instrument in most diciplines is difficult. I have never seen a left handed player in an orchestra.
    That's because their useless. It's not righties fault lefties are useless at everything. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Try it out. Then try switching hands mid way without missing a stroke. You can thank me later.

I'd only need to switch or use both hands if I was eating a sandwich at the same time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,390 ✭✭✭The Big Red Button

krudler wrote: »
    I'm a lefty myself, its a pain in the hole sometimes, I cant write on a whiteboard with a marker as my hand smudges it.

Why don't you just write from right to left?! :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

I'm right handed, BUT use my left for fapping.

Think lefties are a bit odd. Creative me left nut. They're just strange, and trying to decode that chicken scratch handwriting is a pain in the bumhole.

My children better not be left handed or Welsh, for their sakes!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 345 ✭✭Randy Shafter

Right handed?
    I'm left handed myself. Strange thing is i cant play a guitar set up for a left handed person. I find it impossible. Yet i can play a guitar set up for a right handed person no bother and i prefer it that way for some reason.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭metamorphosis

But I bet you feel better since she forced the Devil out of you...I'd be left handed as its supposedly linked to the creative side of the brain.

See im left handed and im about as creative as poop with sweetcorn kernals

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭wudangclan

Right handed?
    life is fraught with danger for us lefties,a lot of workplace accidents taking place when lefties use right-handed tools.
    i see someone is bringing out left-handed underwear so we no longer have to strain ourselves when trying to have a pee. finally!

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/howaboutthat/6222233/Left-handed-underwear-for-men.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,373 ✭✭✭twinytwo

im a righty my twin is a lefty... hence why he is the evil one

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭gary223

I'm left handed, something simple like using a scissors is a right pain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭Micilin Muc

The Irish for a left-handed person is ciotóg, which is also the word for an awkward person.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,696 ✭✭✭trad

Right handed?
    The Irish for a left-handed person is ciotóg, which is also the word for an awkward person.

Must have been invented by a right handed person watching a left handed person working with right handed tools.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

Right handed?
    Another lefty here.

The only awkward thing was my handwriting. It's terrible. Found everything else ok..........OH GAWD I'M A MONSTER!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭Mr.David

Who cares?

We're all just trying to crawl to the top of the human sh1t pile, how much does it matter which hand we use to get there?

:p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭shenanigans1982

ULstudent wrote: »
    See im left handed and im about as creative as poop with sweetcorn kernals

You just insulted yourself with a creative insult.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭fintonie

Right handed?
    ned has it right or left scissors get me every time and people just dont understand, gimme a good stanley

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

Right handed?
    Mr.David wrote: »
    Who cares?

We're all just trying to crawl to the top of the human sh1t pile, how much does it matter which hand we use to get there?

:p

Or do you get there faster if you are ambidextrous?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,544 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Right handed?
    IM left handed for everything. Im generally good at stuff compared to most people. certainly not awkward or clumsy in any way. Trying to deal with stuff made for right handed people only makes us more skillful at doing these things.
    Scissors has to be used with alot of pressure to force blades together. Cheque books, ring binders, tin openers are a pain. Can never use an inky pen or the whole page gets smudged. Many tools are right handed also.
    I like being left handed and find that we are especially good a cue sports for some reason. I often had a look around the snooker club and always 40 to 50% of people playing are left handed... strange. The lefty always seems to be the more natural player too

• Registered Users Posts: 929 ✭✭✭TheCardHolder

allanb49 wrote: »
    ambi dextierus

Ambi wanktirus.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

I suspect that I am a true 'Ambidextrous' because I write with my Left hand, play tennis with my Right hand, hold a screw driver in my Left, open doors with my Right, play guitar with my Left hand, mouse click with my Right, open jam jars with my Left, TV remote with my Right hand, hold a pint in my Left . . .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭Theta

Right handed?
    I'm a lefty for writing and some things but not all. I play ball with my right foot aswell.

Biggest pain like said before is using most a4 pads or binders. Also you have to find a decent pen or else it will end out smudging all over the shop.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭Mahatma coat

I'm a Citeog too :) moulded Scissors, Ring binders, chequebooks, powertools all irritate me, saws in particular are designed to direct the dawdust away ftom righthanded people, but if you use one lefthanded yuo get covered.

trainin can also be difficult cos I demonstrate things lefthandedly and sometimes when I setup something I realise that I've done it lefthanded and its really difficult for the other people cos they're not as used to adaptin to the situation

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,171 ✭✭✭Neamhshuntasach

I was born using my left hand and foot but my grandmother but she would always take the pen out of my left hand and put it in my right. Same when kicking something. I'm not completely ambidetrous but i can use both hands and feet for certain things no problem. Such as writing and playing football. But for hurling i'd still hold as a lefty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭TPD

I'm right handed, and I prefer it that way. Pain in the hole smudging every decent pen you write with. Having said that, I shuffle cards left handed and I roll joints left handed (or so it seems from watching right handed people do both).

Majority of things are designed for right handed people, I'd say its just trying to be 'cool' wanting to be left handed.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭laura l

Right handed?
    powertools all irritate me, saws in particular

my hubby and i are both lefties. imagine my joy when he bought a chainsaw (made for righthanders of course) and the guy behind the till said to my husband "you're left-handed? oh you'd better get the protective trousers too so":eek:

is there anywhere in Ireland to buy lefthanded can openers etc? like a "Leftorium" on the Simpsons??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,813 ✭✭✭BaconZombie

And do they sell left-handed chainsaws?
    laura l wrote: »
    my hubby and i are both lefties. imagine my joy when he bought a chainsaw (made for righthanders of course) and the guy behind the till said to my husband "you're left-handed? oh you'd better get the protective trousers too so":eek:

is there anywhere in Ireland to buy lefthanded can openers etc? like a "Leftorium" on the Simpsons??

Right handed?
    BOFH_139 wrote: »
    And do they sell left-handed chainsaws?

not that i know of. he got a husqvarna one. that's about the extent of my knowledge on them.

Fountain pens were what the cool kids had back in the 80's but lefties couldn't use them cos they smudged the page hehe!

My daughter's a leftie, she has a left handed scissors, I can't cut with it, I never realised how hard you lefties had it lol!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,836 ✭✭✭TanG411

Being left handed is fun :D

We even have August 13th as 'International Left Handers Day'. Drinking session!

Right handed?
    Fountain pens where what the cool kids had back in the 80's but lefties couldn't use them cos they smudged the page hehe!

a leftie fountain pen survivor here! we were told to use blotting paper as we wrote..ended up developing a way of holding the pen below the line so as not to smudge...and still had lovely handwriting *adjusts halo*

knitting in second class as a leftie was a killer (or "knotting" as my mother christened it)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Little Acorn

I'd like to be ambidextrous,just think it's interesting seeing people who can write neatly with both hands.

I've heard that left handed people are more creative,and right handed people are more logical.
    What I wonder is,if you are ambidextrous would you be a perfect balance of creativity and logic?

wudangclan wrote: »
    life is fraught with danger for us lefties,a lot of workplace accidents taking place when lefties use right-handed tools.
    i see someone is bringing out left-handed underwear so we no longer have to strain ourselves when trying to have a pee. finally!

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/howaboutthat/6222233/Left-handed-underwear-for-men.html
    gary223 wrote: »
    I'm left handed, something simple like using a scissors is a right pain.
    fintonie wrote: »
    ned has it right or left scissors get me every time and people just dont understand, gimme a good stanley
    laura l wrote: »

I don't get all this? Any powertool I've seen is ambi dextierus (Thanks Allan) there's no moulding to make the thing more comfortable in a right handed person and I've had to buy allot of power tools in work. Scissors?!! How could they possibly be made to only work for a right handed person? It's the same with chainsaws grip at the back, handle on top it shouldn't make any difference which way you hold it. A tin opener? None of these things are made to be specifically for right handed people, great effort is taken to make sure products can work in either hand to maximise the customer base.

I can only assume you lefties are daft as badgers and more than likely lazy and useless to boot.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭rye_212

Listen scumlord, righty scissors ARE a pain. I don't have a problem with chaninsaws though.

I got a lefty chequebook once, that was a dream, so easy to write in the stub.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭TPD

I think the blades connect on the opposite side on lefty scissors. Top blade on the left instead of the right or something.

• Advertisement
Advertisement