Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Left Handed V Right Handed (Poll now added)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,696 ✭✭✭trad

Right handed?
    Electric drill trigger lock on right
    Chain saw motor on the right, blade (dangerous bit) on the left
    Skill saw blade on the left
    Scissors moulded for right hand (try cutting with your left hand)
    Pillar drill controls on right
    Belt sander ejects dust to right where a lefty stands
    Hedge trimmer blade on the left trigger controls on the right
    Lawn mower pull start right handed

Hold on 'till I go into my workshop to have a look at the rest of my collection of right handed tools

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

rye1967 wrote: »
    I got a lefty chequebook once, that was a dream, so easy to write in the stub.

I had one too, Lloyds was it?

Nowadays they have the stub across the top of the book so it caters for both hands.

Right handed?
    Musical instruments. Try get one of these left handed
    Piano
    Accordian
    Fiddle
    Mandolin
    Uileann pipes
    Keyed flute

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Betty3210

Hi Newbie here! Lefty also!.
    We should defintley get a leftorium shop...niche in the market, all you entrepreuneurs!!
    I have slight difficulty using scissors, if i use it for a long time, my thumb bone gets all sore. Can openers are another difficulty! but on a positive note it is true that we are more creative (using left side of brain) and much cooler than our righty counterparts :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭Wurly

I'm left handed too. I think it's great.

It's more unique than being right handed. And everyone says how damn creative we are. And I actually am creative... And not so logical - which is the alleged strength of a right handed person.

It kinda sucks having the smaller life expectancy though but that's no doubt a load of crap.

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭sean0

I write and use a fork with my left hand but do pretty much everything else with my right hand.

When you highlight sentences taking notes its kinda annoying because your reading the sentence backwards while highlighting and as others said your hand smudges the ink

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

Right handed?
    I too am left-handed. Here's a question, does anyone else highlight text from right to left like I do or is that just me?

ScumLord wrote: »
    . Scissors?!! How could they possibly be made to only work for a right handed person?

You would think wouldn't you? Seriously, trying cutting with a leftie scissors. Virtually impossible!
    I too am left-handed. Here's a question, does anyone else highlight text from right to left like I do or is that just me?

I do that and I'm a rightie! Then I also read magazines backwards so maybe I'm just odd.

Right handed?

I do too!

I would also like to echo that right handed scissors are a PAIN! I have to use my right hand for them =(

gogo permanent smudged left hand and pages =(

I don't think I'm very creative though, more logical I'd say

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭mudokon

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/howaboutthat/6222233/Left-handed-underwear-for-men.html
    Hom, the company behind the pants, claim the underwear will "save left handed men up to three, often vital, seconds when visiting the loo",
    Do left handed men not get signals from the bladder to the brain?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 176 ✭✭ElectroJazz

I'm ambidextrous but was born a leftie, I'd play golf with my right hand and play guitar right handed but write and do most other things with my left, I prefer being a leftie though I think it's the cause of all my creativity! The only problem I think I ever came across is the whiteboard thing someone else mentioned there, gettin marker smudged on my hand :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I don't get all this? Any powertool I've seen is ambi dextierus (Thanks Allan) there's no moulding to make the thing more comfortable in a right handed person and I've had to buy allot of power tools in work. Scissors?!! How could they possibly be made to only work for a right handed person? It's the same with chainsaws grip at the back, handle on top it shouldn't make any difference which way you hold it. A tin opener? None of these things are made to be specifically for right handed people, great effort is taken to make sure products can work in either hand to maximise the customer base.
    Strange you have not noticed the differences if you do buy lots of power tools. Maybe try using them in your left hand and then you will see the difficulty, I notice it all the time, even though I am right handed. Scissors are a perfect example, I can't see how you failed to realise this.
    Trí wrote: »
    I'm left handed too. I think it's great.

It's more unique than being right handed. And everyone says how damn creative we are.
    I really don't get it, the only reasons I have seen is that it is "cool":rolleyes::confused: and of course you are "more unique" you are in a minority. Seems to be just people saying "oh I want to be sooo different, not like all you sheep". I certainly would not like to suffer the problems with being out of the norm. e.g. I would not like to have massively large feet or hands and limit my shoe/glove choice or face ergonomic difficulty holding things. I would not like to be a dwarf and face all the associated difficulties of it, but I expect some people would call it "cool", and I bet many dwarfs would say they would not change it -but I think they really would.

I am right handed but when eating I hold my fork in my right hand, I do not think it is anything to brag about or think it as "cool", dunno why people would. If I could change it I would, i.e. I wish I did find it more comfortable to eat with the fork in my left hand. It causes me very minor problems, but I would hate all the difficulty being properly left handed would bring.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

rye1967 wrote: »
    Listen scumlord, righty scissors ARE a pain.
    I have a scissors in front of me and I just can't fathom how you could make it left handed? It's a symmetrical object. Just cut something using my left hand, it was awkward because I don't use my left hand as much but worked exactly the same.
    trad wrote: »
    I'm going to go through the factory at work tomorrow because I'm absolutely sure ye lefties are whinging over nothing and I'm going to prove it once and for all tomorrow.
    Piano
    Fiddle
    Keyed flute
    Seriously?! How can you make a piano left handed? It's row of keys! Perhaps you'll argue he pedals but if your just learning it makes no difference. They could switch the pedals on me while I'm learning and it wouldn't make a differnce, I'd just learn the pedals in a different order.
    You would think wouldn't you? Seriously, trying cutting with a leftie scissors. Virtually impossible!
    I'm doing it now! there's no difference!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,488 ✭✭✭pikachucheeks

Right handed?
    I'm left-handed. There's only two of us in my college class of around thirty.
    I feel pretty special!
    Although, it doesn't prove the theory that left-handed people are more creative ... I'm doing a creative media course.

Right handed?
    Seriously, trying cutting with a leftie scissors. Virtually impossible!

Even as a leftie, I find using them impossible!

I didn't realise for years, but I actually use scissors with my right hand! Can't cut things with my left, in the same way I can't use a pen with my right!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

Well the left side of the brain controls the right side of the body and vice versa , so maybe the roles are just reversed again with left handed people :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 690 ✭✭✭Lorrs33

I'm a leftie, and a proud one, but unfortunately I use my right hand for most tasks, which annoys me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

Right handed?
    I'm left handed as well and damn proud of it.:)

I write and play golf left handed.

But i use scissors, throw, play tennis and guitar right handed. (Just looking at my posters of Jimi Hendrix and he's playing guitar left handed which i'd find difficult)

Its awkward when i'm making a roll for lunch as i have to cut it right handed but butter it left handed. (We're lucky in my house as we have left handed butter knives.)

I also tug my mickey left handed but when manually "stimulating" a lady friend i use my right hand, which is great coz while doing that i can "stimulate" my self.;)

I am right handed but find my left hand / arm to have more strenght when lifting , pushing and shoving stuff

Right handed?
    Scumlord the dominant keys of a piano are played with the right hand. My natural inclination is to go to the left for high notes so if I played paino I wouldn't be playing the dominant notes with my good hand.

One of the advantages to being left handed is driving. We get to change gear with our good hand.

• Advertisement

I have a scissors in front of me and I just can't fathom how you could make it left handed? It's a symmetrical object. Just cut something using my left hand, it was awkward because I don't use my left hand as much but worked exactly the same.
    The test would be using a lefthanded scissors in your right hand, that would be the equivalent difficulty. Scissors are not symmetrical by design, and many have exaggerated asymmetry when they have moulded handles.

This might explain it to you more. http://www.lefthandnz.com/index_files/info_lefty_scissors.htm
    One of the advantages to being left handed is driving. We get to change gear with our good hand.
    It could go either way, I am right handed and am keeping my dominant hand on the steering wheel at all times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Little Acorn

ScumLord

Adverts | Friends
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rye1967
    Listen scumlord, righty scissors ARE a pain.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by trad
    I'm going to go through the factory at work tomorrow because I'm absolutely sure ye lefties are whinging over nothing and I'm going to prove it once and for all tomorrow.

Please don't go trying to use all these dangerous electrical tools with your left hand if you're right handed,just to prove a point!
    You could lose a finger!:eek:
    I'm right handed and wouldn't risk it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,572 ✭✭✭✭brummytom

Right handed?
    I'm left-handed; but cut, play instruments and hold bats/rackets with my right hand.

So sort of ambi-dextrious.

But I'd rather be right-handed, being left-handed makes it easier to smudge your writing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

That_Guy wrote: »
    I think masturbating with your left hand would be weird.
    I think so too!! ... especially as you didn't even ask permission to borrow it! :mad:

Right handed?
    Poll added for ze lulz.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,396 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

Eww... lefties!

/Leaves thread and gets sick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 255 ✭✭oh well

Right handed?
    another leftie here - bit of an ambidextous actually. Can do most things with either hand. I can't understand though how so many lefties have such bad writing or write with a hooked hand - I write perfectly up straight, perfectly legible, can even write on a whiteboard (can write with either hand but find righthand gets tired). I find it great I can paint with either hand - great for difficult corners, etc. I had great fun reconfiguring my mouse leftie style and watching others try to use it. I can use it either hand so doesn't bother me in the least. Most righties are 100% rightie but us lefties are so adaptable. I "see" things differently to my kids and partner too. They will come up with the usual types of comments or solutions to a problem and I'll come along and have something completely different.

Right handed?
    rubadub wrote: »
    It could go either way, I am right handed and am keeping my dominant hand on the steering wheel at all times.

Yes but I'm not crunching the gears

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭Bob_Harris

Right handed?
    Right now the poll is 7-7.

Does boards have a much higher than normal percentage of Lefties? It should be roughly only 10% right?

I'm left handed, but I jerk off with my right hand and kick a football with my right foot.

Right handed?
    Aww, lots of cool Boardsies are left-handed!
    :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭citizen_p

Right handed?
    im a lefty... but since its a right handed world i use it for mouse on pc and other things

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,183 ✭✭✭✭Will

where's the option for the ambidextrous folk!?

discrimination i say!!

Right handed?
    Mousey- wrote: »
    im a lefty... but since its a right handed world i use it for mouse on pc and other things

Really? I always change the mouse to the left-hand side.
    Got given out to by this guy in an Internet cafe a few weeks ago for moving "the apparatus" :mad:

Will wrote: »

discrimination i say!!

Stop showing off :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

I'm left-footed.

Right handed?
    Dudess wrote: »
    I'm left-footed.

Christy?

Right handed?
    Surprised how close it is at the moment to be honest.. thought we were well in the minority

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭Bob_Harris

Right handed?
    Mousey- wrote: »

I just realised I do this too. I also play guitar in the "right handed" manner. Right handed can openers.

We need a real life Ned Flanders to open The Leftorium.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,058 ✭✭✭✭Abi

Will wrote: »

discrimination i say!!

Indeed. I can switch between both easily, but mostly use my right. In college the table.. thingys are fixed to the right hand side of the chair.

Bad form that :/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,056 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Really? I always change the mouse to the left-hand side.
    Got given out to by this guy in an Internet cafe a few weeks ago for moving "the apparatus" :mad:

Do you also change the buttons on it?

• Advertisement

Dudess wrote: »
    I'm left-footed.
    So was Heather Mills :pac:

Yes but I'm not crunching the gears
    And I'm not swerving into old grannies ;)

Right handed?
    Do you also change the buttons on it?

Nope!
    I just move the mouse and mouse-pad.
    I wipe everything clean once I'm done too, just to be nice.
    :pac:

Right handed?
    Oh, we've got Frada!

Left-handed people win

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 centimental

Right handed?
    I'm left handed, ......but I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,058 ✭✭✭✭Abi

Latchy wrote: »
    So was Heather Mills

Lol. Legend :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭fiona12

Hi, I'm a rightie and so is the rest of my family, but my youngest son is a leftie. I always find it fascinating that he draws things the other way around, ie drawing a car, he would draw the back of the car on the left, and he draws a fish, the tail would be to the left. One day we had friends around and I was complaining about the teacher putting him on the right hand side of the desk when the child next to him is right handed, when I got the notion to ask everybody present to draw a car & a fish and the majority of right handed people drew the car and fish with it's back-ends to the right. I know, small things amuses small minds:o

Also I watched a documentary on conception once and there was this bit about identical twins being mirror images, so if one is left handed the other would be right handed. And according to research it is a possibility that a left handed person started off as an identical twins, but for some reason, only one of the fetus survived the pregnancy....

fascinating stuff really

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭WeeBushy

There's no option for: was lefty but taught to be a righty.

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭blond45

Right handed?
    I use to be left handed... a nun forced me to utilise the right hand though... been as such ever since.

- Drav!
    same for my hubbie. the nuns made him use his right. now our six year old lad is a lefty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭Laphroaig52

I don't get all this? Any powertool I've seen is ambi dextierus (Thanks Allan) there's no moulding to make the thing more comfortable in a right handed person and I've had to buy allot of power tools in work. Scissors?!! How could they possibly be made to only work for a right handed person? It's the same with chainsaws grip at the back, handle on top it shouldn't make any difference which way you hold it. A tin opener? None of these things are made to be specifically for right handed people, great effort is taken to make sure products can work in either hand to maximise the customer base.

I can only assume you lefties are daft as badgers and more than likely lazy and useless to boot.

Daft as badgers is right and fecking awkward ones at that......it's probably best to keeps us away from power tools....

Anyway, never mind the power tools and scissors and the like....did you know that most pencils and many biros are designed for right handed people only? Take a close look at a pencil.....

Bah. It's a fecking conspiracy and like all down trodden minorities we will rise up one of these days. I can see it now....armies of angry lefties fumbling with fire arms. Carnage I tell you.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭NiamhDunk

or an option for

''lefty but wish i was rightie''' ..or vice versa.

i should have added a poll initially just never thought of it. oh well.

what about a left handed forum....surprised there isnt one already, surely it would get more hits than some of the other forums already out there, theres a few of them that are very quiet for weeks on end....

• Advertisement
Advertisement