Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mini

• 01-10-2009 1:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭

I want a mini!!!!!

And i do not want to pay 1 or 2 thousand for it!!!
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

adverts.ie wanted section is that way >>>>>>>>> http://www.adverts.ie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

I apologise, OP has pm'd me saying he/she wants to start a discussion on how over priced Mini's are. :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

draffodx wrote: »
    I apologise, OP has pm'd me say he/she wants to start a discussion on how over priced Mini's are. :o

Well maybe they should have said that to begin with...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭Theta

They are very over priced. Someday I will restore one from scratch.

You can stick a turbo on the 1.3s I believe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

If you buy one for less than €1k you're going to have to do a fair bit of restoration work on it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭I Concur

Sounds good!!

But even for one that needs a good bit of work they still sell it for far to much....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

question, how much do you actually want to pay for one?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Any car below a grand will need attention and probably won't last you long unless you're a mechanic.
    Or looking at your post history, do you intend to use the engine in a trike?

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭I Concur

Well for one that needs a good bit of work done i think 300 or 400 would be a fair...
    What do you think?

I think you're out of your mind, they're a classic car that will always be popular!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭Mailman

Can you imagine a muppet like him trying to bargain with a Mini enthusiast for their car.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Mailman wrote: »
    Can you imagine a muppet like him trying to bargain with a Mini enthusiast for their car.

No name calling thank you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭Mailman

I want an Alfa Brera for ..........rumages around in pocket........43 cent, a sweet wrapper and some lint.
    Ridiculous thread.

Mailman wrote: »
    eoin wrote: »
    No name calling thank you.

Yea, how do you know it's a he! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

OP - Will I move this to Classic Cars?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭ytareh

You should be so lucky OP ....you could pay 3k and still get a dunger of a rust bucket...And 5k wouldnt guarantee you years of trouble free motoring either by any means .The Mini is surely the ultimate example of buying with your heart or your head.A dream to drive newish or with low miles but beyond that a disaster ...Sure even the very last 2000 (wow Y2K Minis!)models are bound to be rusty by now unless treated in gallons of runtproofing 'wax' and with kid gloves ...does the paint in a restored one start to ripple at the sight of rain ?!Id love to hear an enthusiast knock me back saying they dont depreciate and that they can be used to replace my small Toyota for my 125km commute but somehow I doubt it .A shame really ....Id LOVE a Cooper ....Oh did I mention safety!?

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

ytareh wrote: »
    You should be so lucky OP ....you could pay 3k and still get a dunger of a rust bucket...And 5k wouldnt guarantee you years of trouble free motoring either by any means .The Mini is surely the ultimate example of buying with your heart or your head.A dream to drive newish or with low miles but beyond that a disaster ...Sure even the very last 2000 (wow Y2K Minis!)models are bound to be rusty by now unless treated in gallons of runtproofing 'wax' and with kid gloves ...does the paint in a restored one start to ripple at the sight of rain ?!Id love to hear an enthusiast knock me back saying they dont depreciate and that they can be used to replace my small Toyota for my 125km commute but somehow I doubt it .A shame really ....Id LOVE a Cooper ....Oh did I mention safety!?

I have a mini. If you want a car to drive you 125Kms a day for your commute, its not for you. Its a classic car, not an every day car (i have a daily commute car). I dont drive it a huge amount, but when I do, it puts a smile on my, and everyone elses face who sees it. Yes, you have to have deep pockets to get it right, but so what? I just spent €800 getting a load of mechanical work done to it. Ive another €500 or so to spend on it. From there, I will fix up the bodywork (around €1k) then I will upgrade its safety aspects - brakes, rollcage, bucket seats. From then, I will probably spend some money every year getting it checked up. If you are a car enthusiast, its worth it. If not, then dont. Its a simple choice. I plan on keeping the car for a very very long time. Will I end up losing money on it? Yes. Will it be worth every penny I spend/lose on it? Yes. Its as simple as that. Car enthusiasts dont generally buy cars for profit, its a hobby. I would have no interest in going to the gym, but people spend several hundred euro a year to go to one. No difference in that to what Im doing being honest. Difference being though, you cant sell your muscles/toned body! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭cpoh1

antodeco wrote: »
    I have a mini. If you want a car to drive you 125Kms a day for your commute, its not for you. Its a classic car, not an every day car (i have a daily commute car). I dont drive it a huge amount, but when I do, it puts a smile on my, and everyone elses face who sees it. Yes, you have to have deep pockets to get it right, but so what? I just spent €800 getting a load of mechanical work done to it. Ive another €500 or so to spend on it. From there, I will fix up the bodywork (around €1k) then I will upgrade its safety aspects - brakes, rollcage, bucket seats. From then, I will probably spend some money every year getting it checked up. If you are a car enthusiast, its worth it. If not, then dont. Its a simple choice. I plan on keeping the car for a very very long time. Will I end up losing money on it? Yes. Will it be worth every penny I spend/lose on it? Yes. Its as simple as that. Car enthusiasts dont generally buy cars for profit, its a hobby. I would have no interest in going to the gym, but people spend several hundred euro a year to go to one. No difference in that to what Im doing being honest. Difference being though, you cant sell your muscles/toned body! :D

Wanna bet :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 752 ✭✭✭JimmyCrackCorn!

If i ever bought one as a keeper id acid dip and galvanise it.

Kiss the budget goodbye at that though.;)

Advertisement