Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Business Phone on 02

• 01-10-2009 1:34pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,742 ✭✭✭

I've had enough of Blackberry, they cause nothing but grief & have a ****e interface, I need a new business phone that has to meet the following criteria:
    • have push email or equivalent
    • available as a (not too expensive) upgrade on 02
    • 3G
    • Bluetooth (preferably supporting text readers)

My preferences are as follows:
    1. iPhone (3G or 3Gs)
    2. Palm Pre
    3. XDA Guide (not sure if this is available in Irealnd)
    4. XDA Orbit 2

The Orbit is probably the most likely due to cost, has anyone used Win Mob? is it okay to use? Any other suggestions? I'm not a fan of nokia, but I've heard the N97(?) is good, any thoughts Any Sony E phones worth looking at?

- choose me a phone!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

• Bluetooth (preferably supporting text readers)

This bit has me stumped - what do you mean by this?

The iPhone has limited bluetooth support - mainly audio equipment, no serial support.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,742 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

Tom Dunne wrote: »
    [/LIST]
    This bit has me stumped - what do you mean by this?

The iPhone has limited bluetooth support - mainly audio equipment, no serial support.
    Sorry, a bit off topic - my car will read text messages aloud over bluetooth, not all phones support the feature - so its not that relevant...

So, 02 tell me that they are no longer selling any XDA's as the Palm Pre will replace them. I can get an iPhone or a Palm Pre (when its released) but will need to fork out between €79 & €150...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭billbond4

How about the SE Xperia ? thats a business phone

billbond4 wrote: »
    How about the SE Xperia ? thats a business phone

Its also 500blips

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,249 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

the nokia e71 will read out your text messages and I reckon it's the best business phone on the market with the best battery life around. You can't go wrong with it. http://www.intomobile.com/2008/10/03/nokia-e71-wins-phone-of-the-year.html

iphone is rubbish for any serious business phone user, your'll need about 2 spare ones just to make it through the day..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

The nokia n97 will also read out your messages.

Encase you didnt know, their is a e72 on the way soon, no guarantee it will be out on o2, and wouldn't be cheap, but once you know so you dont get the E71 and wish you had waited a bit more. If you want more info: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055650488

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭richieg

Have a Palm treo pro running win mo. Its ok if you use something like SPB mobile shell but it constantly hangs and isn't the most intuitive to use.

One thing to watch with the pre is it is supposed to have very poor battery life

The battery should be okay, I charge every evening. I'm more concerned with how the email functions. I need emails to come directly to the phone rather than having to retrieve them - I think that is what push email does. I also need to view .jpegs .pdfs and the occasional word or excel doc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭Dankoozy

op have u looked at the E71 and E63 at all?

• Advertisement

Dankoozy wrote: »
    op have u looked at the E71 and E63 at all?

I have an allergy to nokia's

• Registered Users Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭flodis79

Bluefoam wrote: »

Then you are going to miss one of the best battery life around.

Plus, symbian is lightning fast and have loads of 3rd party apps.

If you get a leather case for it or something u should be ok

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭billbond4

Its also 500blips
    You could pick one up on ebay for the 250e or less mark

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭coldfire1x

E52 now available on o2.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭IH77

coldfire1x wrote: »
    E52 now available on o2.

I was looking at getting this sim free in the UK, however, €199 PAYG and €29-€129 bill pay - seems a very good price for this phone.

Are the E-Series hard to unlock?

IH77 wrote: »
    I was looking at getting this sim free in the UK, however, €199 PAYG and €29-€129 bill pay - seems a very good price for this phone.

Are the E-Series hard to unlock?

i think they are. baseband 5 :(

damn nokias used to be easy to unlock...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,277 ✭✭✭km991148

not the biggest nokia fan in the world (not not a phan either if u know what I mena..) but the some of the e-series phones get great reviews all over for business use; that many people cannot be wrong!

Have had long conversation with O2 rep & although she doesn't seem to know much technical specifications, she reckons I'll be able to use the Palm or iPhone for email + they are both cheaper than getting a new blackberry...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,249 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

:Dlol, I just had a guy in who wants to trade in his iphone 3G for a nokia e71, i'm not making that up!!

lol at the palm pre, I have to hand it to the o2 marketing machine, there loosing their exclusitivity on the iphone but they've got an exclusive on the iphone killer phone. You couldn't make it up:rolleyes:

There used to be a saying, nobody ever got fired for buying an IBM.. the same applies to a nokia e series..:)

whatever you decide you can return your upgrade within 7 days, not sure if the same applies to the iphone (cause it's special:rolleyes:)

• Advertisement

:Dlol, I just had a guy in who wants to trade in his iphone 3G for a nokia e71, i'm not making that up!!

quite common actually.seen someone sell one on ebay they said they got an e71

sold an iphone 2g myself and got an e63. much better phone imo. iphone isn't for everyone

• Closed Accounts Posts: 909 ✭✭✭mobius42

I'd go for the Pre. It has push email and can support multiple MS Exchange accounts, unlike the iPhone. I imagine you might want to use a few of those accounts if you're using it as a business phone. It's €99 or less to upgrade to one and it has 3G and bluetooth. Also, it has a physical keyboard which will be better considering you're coming from a Blackberry.

mobius42 wrote: »
    I'd go for the Pre. It has push email and can support multiple MS Exchange accounts, unlike the iPhone. I imagine you might want to use a few of those accounts if you're using it as a business phone. It's €99 or less to upgrade to one and it has 3G and bluetooth. Also, it has a physical keyboard which will be better considering you're coming from a Blackberry.

Unfortunatley we are on POP email rather than Exchange. At the moment it seems to be between the iPhone 3G or the Palm Pre - the newer 3GS would be pricier...

Unfortunatley we are on POP email rather than Exchange. At the moment it seems to be between the iPhone 3G or the Palm Pre - the newer 3GS would be pricier...

If you're using POP then you won't be able to get push email.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Rsaeire

Unfortunately we are on POP email rather than Exchange. At the moment it seems to be between the iPhone 3G or the Palm Pre - the newer 3GS would be pricier...

Setting up the standard email client on your handset with automatic retrieval set to 10 minutes would be comparable to having push email setup. I understand that push email will allow a lot more than simply email to sync, however, since you're only syncing a POP account, email is most likely all you'll be able to sync anyway.

Rsaeire wrote: »
    Setting up the standard email client on your handset with automatic retrieval set to 10 minutes would be comparable to having push email setup. I understand that push email will allow a lot more than simply email to sync, however, since you're only syncing a POP account, email is most likely all you'll be able to sync anyway.

TBH, this should be perfectly acceptable for what I do - I'm not a 'power user'

Is it worth looking at the older iPhone model?

The minimum fetch sync interval is usually 15 minutes. On the Pre and iPhone, that's the minimum anyway. By older iPhone model, I presume you mean the 3G. If you were to get an iPhone, I'd just get the 3G; from what you've told us, I don't think you need the 3GS.
    Be aware, though, that it is over a year old and probably won't get too many new features through firmware updates. For example, the 2G iPhone didn't get the tethering or MMS features in the 3.0 update.

Have you ever tried the software keyboard on an iPhone? I'd advise you check it out before you buy one as this puts a lot of people off the iPhone, particularly people who've been using Blackberries.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Rsaeire

TBH, this should be perfectly acceptable for what I do - I'm not a 'power user'

Is it worth looking at the older iPhone model?

I would stick to the iPhone 3G and the Palm Pre, given your price constraints and would also recommend you compare typing using both handsets before you buy, as mobius42 mentioned; no doubt the different implementations will be a deal breaker.

Advertisement