Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2004 Opel Vetra Opinions?

• 01-10-2009 1:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 823 ✭✭✭

Anyone got experience with this car?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Kauto wrote: »

Don't buy one unless you're going to run it into the ground and AND you're getting a VERY good price on a high spec diesel model.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭robbie_998

i dont know what an opel vetra is but my dad does have a '98 opel vectra and it has never gone wrong or broken down, had it a few years and just the usual service,

grand car, thumbs up and great if you buy second hand cos their cheap :)

remember most vectra's are the same price so you can get a great top spec model for the same as a normal one, so keep looking long and hard

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭furtzy

I'm on my third and know them very well. What model/engine is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 823 ✭✭✭Kauto

Its the 1.6 petrol. No power in it id say

again my dad has the '98 1.6 16v gl+ xel, i got 120km/h in third gear in it a few weeks ago :D

easily got to 180+++

• Advertisement

robbie_998 wrote: »
    again my dad has the '98 1.6 16v gl+ xel, i got 120km/h in third gear in it a few weeks ago :D

easily got to 180+++

doing 120km/h in 3rd is not remotely impressive, it shouldn't even be any where near the redline at that. Most 1.4s that are mpi would do 90 in third. It's just the way they are geared.

RoverJames wrote: »
    doing 120km/h in 3rd is not remotely impressive, it shouldn't even be any where near the redline at that. Most 1.4s that are mpi would do 90 in third. It's just the way they are geared.

it was no where near the red line ;)

still in fifth 180+++

The Vectra C is a fairly heavy car. The 1.6 is an "Irish special" brought in for the fleet market. Have driven a couple and they are very underpowered. This engine is from the Astra range and more suited to that size car. Overtaking is dangerously slow. I would avoid this model. The 1.8 VVTi is a much better prospect. But if you can stretch to it the 1.9 CDTi (150) is a cracker. I have an SRI CDTI 150 and I love it to bits. There would a large price difference though

The 1998 models i.e Vectra B mentioned in other posts are a totally different car to the vectra C and can't be compared

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,666 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

OP I've got the 1.8 2003 had it for 3 years. Pretty reliable car a mate does the servicing but apart from that it's need about €450 euro work on the engine. The only thing is heavy on juice around town.

I'd love to upgrade to a facelifted diesel with aircon :)

OP I've got the 1.8 2003 had it for 3 years. Pretty reliable car a mate does the servicing but apart from that it's need about €450 euro work on the engine. The only thing is heavy on juice around town.

I'd love to upgrade to a facelifted diesel with aircon :)

Had a 03 1.8 Elegance and had to get rid of it because of its thirst. Bought it new and only kept it 9 months. Was a well documented problem. This engine was replaced in late 2003 by the VVTi version which was a vast improvement in both power and fuel consumption

• Advertisement

robbie_998 wrote: »
    it was no where near the red line ;)

still in fifth 180+++

They are geared quite tall for economy, bhp and torque are less than impressive. Btw, if I was your Dad I wouldn't let you drive the car.

RoverJames wrote: »
    They are geared quite tall for economy, bhp and torque are less than impressive. Btw, if I was your Dad I wouldn't let you drive the car.

funny that, he has had 4 crash's and i have had zero, he did that speed, not me :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,297 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

The 1.9 CDTi is the only one worth considering imo but I think it was late 2004/early 2005 when that was introduced.

bazz26 wrote: »
    The 1.9 CDTi is the only one worth considering imo but I think it was late 2004/early 2005 when that was introduced.

Around September 2004. There are 2 versions i.e 120bhp 8v and the 150bhp 16v...huge difference between them. They are distinguished by the red Ti lettering on the boot lid for the 150 version

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,297 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

furtzy wrote: »
    Around September 2004. There are 2 versions i.e 120bhp 8v and the 150bhp 16v...huge difference between them. They are distinguished by the red Ti lettering on the boot lid for the 150 version

Yep and it's the award winning Fiat engine.

Advertisement