Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice on what to do with a faulty laptop?

Options
  • 01-10-2009 2:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭

I bought this brand new shiny HP Pavillion dv9000 laptop around 18 months ago from PC World along with the 3 year insurance coverplan they do.
    Since then I have had it repaired 4 times i think it is now which is a bit of a joke and I'm about to send it off again this week.
    I'm just wondering should they be considering giving me a new one at this stage?
    Ive researched about the laptop myself on the net and found the HP pavillion range have known problems like some I've been experiencing in the past.
    I'm not sure about all the parts I've had replaced but i know the CPU, keyboard, battery, LCD harness have all been changed and i think my hard drive is on its way out now and the laptop is overheating again.

Can anyone offer me advice on this? :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,861 ✭✭✭RayCon

Simple .. Small Claims Court ... my nephew had to go that route with a faulty laptop / cover plan and Dixons ...

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Cudders

How would i go about doing this? I've never realy had problems like this before so wouldn't know which steps to take.

Did it take long for your nephew to get his problem resolved?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,683 ✭✭✭Kensington

You can do it online here. It will cost you €15, payable online, and you should have a resolution within 30 days - maybe sooner if PCW don't attempt to drag it out.

Thanks mate I'll have a look into it. Should i send it away again to repairs and wait until they say i can't get a new one or just go ahead with it?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Are PC World only offering repairs, or have you asked them for a replacement/refund yet?

I wouldn't recommend heading off to the SCC until you've exhausted all other avenues. Maybe you have, but your post doesn't detail that.

• Advertisement

Well i popped out to the store a week ago and explained it all to the guy i was dealing with and he wasn't very helpful, He just kept saying that it wasn't down to him and said I should just send off a letter with it while its been repaired but they still more than likely won't give me a new one is the indication he was giving me.

I'm going to give it a go sending it off with the letter anyways and see what kind of response they give me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭tommy21

Cudders wrote: »
    Well i popped out to the store a week ago and explained it all to the guy i was dealing with and he wasn't very helpful, He just kept saying that it wasn't down to him and said I should just send off a letter with it while its been repaired but they still more than likely won't give me a new one is the indication he was giving me.

I'm going to give it a go sending it off with the letter anyways and see what kind of response they give me.

What I would do is ask him who it is down to then? He might be a nice guy (I'm assuming its the head manager, no point taking to a frontline employee) or whatever but you'll have to push to get the right response. Tell him you'll give him a week to get on to head office or whatever, and that then you'll be lodging a claim in the small claim court. There is no need to do this in a threatening manner, simply say you need it for work and cannot continue using a laptop that has broken down 5(?) times. I would definately keep going until I either got a refund (preferably) or a new laptop - otherwise what happens when your warranty runs out?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭Slippin Jimmy

Well under coverplan if it is the same fault 3 times they will replace your unit to one of a simular spec. The guy you say you were dealing with, was he a customer service guy? Might I suggest you go back in and ask to speak to a manager. Tell them that you are not satisfied with getting it repaired for a 5th time and that you need it urgently for work. Tell them that their repair time regardless how long it is is an unacceptable time scale. Out of curiousity which pc world was it?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

Duffff-Man wrote: »
    Well under coverplan if it is the same fault 3 times they will replace your unit to one of a simular spec.

And under the law a repair must be permanent.

OP, when you got your computer repaired a few times, was it always for the same thing?

Give us a timescale of when the repairs happened and what was wrong, if you can.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

the repair is supposed to be permenant and you do not have to rely on coverplan as you have rights over and above what this paid for insurance usually offers. write a letter addressed to the store manager asking them to replace the faulty laptop or refund you as this laptop is faulty soo often it is unlikely ever to work for any reasonable timeframe and thus is not reasonably durable/fit for purpose.

give the store ten days to respond and if they do not agree to your request then go to your local district court offices and ask for a small claims form and they will tell you how to apply and what you may need.

• Advertisement
Advertisement