Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting charged for a broken crankbolt on a bike 2 months after I bought it new

Options
  • 01-10-2009 2:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭

I recently bought a bike in a local shop and was delighted with it. It’s a Giant Terrago designed for off road trails and just normal street wear. I had it 2 and a half months and it broke. More precisely the crankbolt that holds the pedals broke so as I was cycling home the whole right side (pedal and the bit that attaches to the chain) fell off and nearly wiped me out as it threw me completely off balance. I left the bike back down to where I bought it and told him what happened and he was shocked he hadn’t seen anything like it etc. I left it with him to fix and left it at that. I got an email today and this is what it says

“The bike had a broken crankbolt which really only happens with extreme pressure in excess of working threshold and the chain normally gives out before cranbolt. There was a complication in that the bolt sheared at the head and it required considerable workshop time to remove the embedded bolt end.

Anyhow that’s all sorted and bike has been fixed tested and lubricated

I have applied nominal labour time of €20 and the trade price of Giant Trueativ crankbolt set at €9.80 so €29.80 in total.”

Seeing the bike was only 2 and a half months old and only ever been used to go to and from work and never been off road (yet) it hasn’t received any “extreme pressure” or any thing that would be unexpected for going around town his explanation doesn’t hold much water with me. I can understand the labour costs I guess but charging for the bolt too? That doesn’t sit right.

My question is seeing as it is a flaw with the original bike when I got it as it hasn’t been trashed should I have to pay the full amount? Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

Of course it was a flaw. There is no way you should get a bill for that. Tell him to get onto the suppliers and get his payment that way. Something that goes after two months is obviously faulty. You should not have to pay this.

The only other thing is, for the sake of 30 euro, do you fancy the row ?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

Of course it was a flaw. There is no way you should get a bill for that. Tell him to get onto the suppliers and get his payment that way. Something that goes after two months is obviously faulty. You should not have to pay this.

The only other thing is, for the sake of 30 euro, do you fancy the row ?

I pretty much told him that i wasn't happy paying for it seeing as it was only used going back and forth from work and he replied now saying that

"Crankbolts are not a warranty item and to be fair I have not charged you the workshop time for bolt removal which was quite tricky. "

again i can understand the labour but saying a part of the bike isn't part of the bikes warrenty? i know it's only 30 quid but i've already spent a fortune this week on taxis to work and home again so money is a bit tight so just want to hear other peoples views before i start saying anything

• Registered Users Posts: 3,656 ✭✭✭Enduro

I used to work in a bikeshop. It sounds like he is treating you pretty fairly. Giant bikes are known for their good frame warranty, but I'd say that he's telling you the truth about the crankbolt not being a warranty item. It does sound like the orginal bolt was flawed alright (all manufacturing processes are subject to some level of flaws), but it would be very very expensive to prove that. If it was me, I'd pay the 30 euro.

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭bennyob

If the bike was not fit for the purpose intended, then o/p should not be out of pocket. Its up to the seller to remedy the situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

Just pay him the nominal fee they are charging for labour and not for the defective bolt which would cost no where near the asking for the shop.

In fairness they have no way of being sure and neither do you have a way to prove the bike hasn't been stressed and in the long run its better to keep in with the shop than fall out over such a minor amount. Why were you taking Taxis? Are you unable to walk? Bus? Get a lift to work?

Happy cycling

MC

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14 exozzie

Seems bloody harsh to be honest - the bike shop owner made a profit on the sale and if he acknowledges that there was probably a manufacturing fault he should do the right thing by his customer. For the sake of a bit of workshop time and a cheap part the owner could have a customer for life.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

The warranty in this case is irrelevant. All goods are expected to operate without fault for a reasonable period of time after purchase. For a bicycle that's a bit more tricky, but no part should be reasonably expected to fail within 3 months and the shop are liable.
    After 6 months, I would say your liabilty lies with the manufacturer.

This is a random failure - a flaw in the forging/casting of the crankbolt. The "extreme pressure" required to cause crankbolt failure is not something which could be applied in normal human activity. That is, you would need to be repeatedly using a sledgehammer or a hydraulic press on the crank arm while the other arm (and the bike) is firmly gripped in a vice. Even then, the crank is more likely to fail before the crank bolt.
    Random failures within a certain timeframe or flaws in manfacturing are the liabilty of the seller.

Also crank bolts don't cost a tenner.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

Cheers to everyone that replied i'm going to go down today and give him all the info i have received.

And the reason i'm gettin taxis is it's nearly an hour walk to and the same from work. The bus route is useless here and would get me in half an hour late and there is no car pool in operation that would suit.

I think what'll end up happening is me paying him giving out about the part and then take the bike to another bike shop in town and ask what are the chances of this happening see what they say. I don't really think it's worth taking it to small claims court but i'll see after all it's the principal that matters to me

Advertisement