Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

well basically.........

Options
  • 01-10-2009 2:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 26

now i dont wanna sound mean here but does anyone else notice how some lecturers say certain words a lot in their lectures? I counted yesterday and one lecturer said something 113 times....no joke.....:eek:
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭mp3guy

What makes you think she doesn't read this forum?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,878 ✭✭✭Rozabeez

I don't think slagging people off by name is a very good idea on here, you're new and it's understandable that you wouldn't know that, but perhaps you can edit it to say "one of my lecturers" instead?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,339 ✭✭✭✭LoLth

well, not all lecturers are trained/practised public speakers and no matter how good you are or how much you know speakign in front of a theatre of judgemental post pubescents is bound to be stressful which would exaggerate any nervous foibles she might have. Either she'll get more comfortable or you'll start to automatically filter out the word basically :)

could be worse, I had a lecturer that always made a point and then turned to the class had this really apologetic look on her face and shrugged as if to say "I dont agree with anythign I jsut told you but you have to learn it anyway, sorry!".... she did this at least ten times every lecture...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭Ostrom

now i dont wanna sound mean here but does anyone else notice how much soem lecturers say bascially in her lectures? I counted yesterday and it was 113....no joke.....:eek:

Ha!

They/we do. Happened to me in DCU, not here. Some people are so stupid as to post things on moodle. Fortunately the 'create thread' option has been disabled this year. You know, to save you from yourself :)

Person beside me counted the 'Ehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh' sounds our lecturer made once, once you get used to it you don't even hear it anymore though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,339 ✭✭✭✭LoLth

seriously, in the pub with a group of friends, sit back and take yourself out of the conversation. you'll be amazed at the number of "ehhhh" " i mean" "like" "y'know" "right" etc you'll hear. you'll also be very shocked to discover that the conversation isnt actually all that deep and you'll probably do everyoen a service by pointing out that storming the castle is not actually a good idea after all.

I've noticed the "like" thing myself, when you become conscious of something that's oversaid you seem to become self-conscious of it too (well in my experience that is!), last year for a transcript assignment, removing the "ehhs" and other less important words was the most irritating part. Very time consuming!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭mp3guy

Also you shouldn't be listening out for how many times they say "basically", thats the least important part of what they're saying.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭Ostrom

Rozabeez wrote: »
    Person beside me counted the 'Ehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh' sounds our lecturer made once, once you get used to it you don't even hear it anymore though.

I know who that was :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭Effluo

I had a module last year where the lecturer got heckled by the majority of the class! Due to his funny/odd/quiet voice and appearance.

It just came to the point when only the people in the front rows could actually hear him due to the constant joking, laughing(at his expense) and chatting...

It was actually just terrible!

• Advertisement

efla wrote: »
    I know who that was :)

Course you do! My sister and I had a conversation about the 'ehhhhhs' recently too, and she graduated years ago :p

Some things never change!

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭tootyflutty

I have a lecturer that doesn't appearr to have a lisp but when he says things such a births, the "s" at the end turns into ssssssssssssssssssssss.
    This isn't one of those get used to things, he only does it occasionaly! bahh!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭Michellenman

I have a lecturer that doesn't appearr to have a lisp but when he says things such a births, the "s" at the end turns into ssssssssssssssssssssss.
    This isn't one of those get used to things, he only does it occasionaly! bahh!

I know exactly who you're talking about. Lectures human geography?

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭tootyflutty

I know exactly who you're talking about. Lectures human geography?

That's the one and only! I genuinly think he's a nice guy, if only he would speak a bit faster and drop the sssssssssssss.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭Teabag!

That's the one and only! I genuinly think he's a nice guy, if only he would speak a bit faster and drop the sssssssssssss.

That man is a legend, had the pleasure of bumping into him in the jacks in the JH once.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 yousername

count the y'knows luke fitzgerald says in this video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BbqXorC2Qso

seriously tho(thats another one) everybody does it.

Advertisement