Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Language Exchange

Options
  • 01-10-2009 2:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭

Now before anyone eats me ; yes I know SULIS - but you guys are more responcive IMHO.

Anyway, I have a Japanese friend who I LEing with but her English is really good (not good enough to keep up with a certain history lecturer who will remain nameless :D- but then I'm not that good).

How do you teach someone a language when you're own experience is I am = Je suis/watashi wa and they're way beyond that...anyone have any good on-line reasources they want to share, or stories of their own experience?

Thank you :3 (and before you think it, no it's not a pair of dots with b00bs)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 ni ni

がんばって、ね!

What are you asking here? I've 8(!!) language exchange partners this semester and they are all better than me! That's not including the 5 people helping me with Mandarin LOL.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭Diamond007

onestopenglish.com for online resources. This site has a variety of topics/themes and has ideas for all levels of English.

However, I don't think the LE is designed for formal teaching like this. If your partner has good English already they would benefit much more from speaking to you in an informal setting.

By speaking to you in the target language they have the chance to learn intonation patterns, colloquial expressions etc. all of which can't be learnt from a book.

So just meeting and conversing in the TL is invaluable experience in itself!

Good Luck :)

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭pervertedcoffee

Thanks for your input guys - it's just my LE partner is also my friend so we talk all the time anyway, I'm just sort of at a loss for how to help her even more... I deffo don't want to go over formal on her but I know she wants extra help. Just wondering what sort of things people did when LE'ing? We did decide on films for a topic but she's so far beyond - "my favourite film is...." I like this film because..." and I'm sure exactly how to challenge her so she can improve...:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Amiguito

I volunteer for a charity one night every 2 weeks doing a soup run. You meet some pretty cool and crazy people and talk about all kinds of things!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 146 ✭✭mid

Now before anyone eats me ; yes I know SULIS - but you guys are more responcive IMHO.

Anyway, I have a Japanese friend who I LEing with but her English is really good (not good enough to keep up with a certain history lecturer who will remain nameless :D- but then I'm not that good).

How do you teach someone a language when you're own experience is I am = Je suis/watashi wa and they're way beyond that...anyone have any good on-line reasources they want to share, or stories of their own experience?

Thank you :3 (and before you think it, no it's not a pair of dots with b00bs)

Useful website for language exchange (free)

http://www.livemocha.com/

Advertisement