Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Advice on Scrappage Deal for a car ?

• 01-10-2009 2:48pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,248 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

I have been thinking about getting a new car and trying to do some sort of a scrappage deal on my existing car.

I know very little about the options available in terms of scrappage deals , so I was hoping some of you could help me out.

What options are out there?
    Does it have to be a brand new car I buy?
    What type of money is offered for the car you scrap?
    Are there only certain garages that do it?

Any info or advice you have is much appreciated.

Thanks
    Derv

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,466 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

There is no government scrappage here at the minute. Renualt are running there own scheme in an effort to sell cars. Thy are giving 1500 or so off the price of a new car if you scrap something as well as additional discount too IM sure.
    To be honest, Im sure if you went in buying straight, you would manage to knock all that cash off anyway.
    There are huge discounts to be had from many manufacturers so I would say have a good look around and see what is being offered. Trading in an old car wont save you anything I think

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 SamoZlo

so what can I do with the car, that's not worth to be repaired?
    I've got Corsa that will cost me for repair than it's worth, so I want to buy another car - but what can I do with this one? is there any place that buys cars like that in co. Cork?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

Put it up on adverts.ie or donedeal.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭Omcd

Beware of the words 'up to' in scrappage schemes and 'trade in allowance' etc promotions. These two little words in effective mean you might only get for your car what it's trade in value is anyway. At least that was my experience with Renaults last glorious scrappage deal promotion - 'up to €4000' (or whatever it was at time), but 'oh, that's only worth €400' - rather pointless really as a special promotion (for the punter at least). And a couple of other dealers not running a scrappage promotion had already offered me €1500 for it !

Advertisement