Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Brand new unopened 360 games query

• 01-10-2009 2:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 34

Hey, i recently won an xbox 360 elite with 10 games and an xbox live subscription.i am planning on selling it all and everything is completely new and unopened. If i were to bring back the games individually to game shops and give some excuse about an unwanted gift from my girlfriend and that i don't have a receipt,do you think they would give me a full refund? Obviously i would space it out amongst different shops, but my question is, can they tell if any of their branches sold the game before or has it come from another source,which obviously it has? Any thoughts guys?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭A-Trak

No chance I'm afraid. Best you could hope for without a receipt is store credit. Bung the lot on adverts.ie would be your best bet for cash.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,204 ✭✭✭Kenny_D

Makes no difference if its unnoppened or not. You'll get the used trade in price.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭zero19

Ebay is great for selling games i find, you get more than what gamestop would give you

• Registered Users Posts: 34 robrieguez

Cheers for the replies guy.i think it's scandalous that if i traded them in for 20 quid a pop they'd sell it on for over double even though they'd still be in their wrappers! I have the lot on adverts.ie but if i don't get enough for them i'll just hang on to them.i might try and get store credit for them and buy some ps3 games that i'll actually play

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

I'm in the same s'h'ituation, but only have 2 games (unopened). They're both still 40 quid games, but GAME said they'd give me 45 for both (money) and 55 if I bought a new title. What bollocks! I'm more annoyed that I bet my games will just be put on the shelf and sold for 40 each. I can't morally do it :LMAO

I'm going to HMV and Gamestop to try my luck. I dunno....hopefully! I hate Game. They sell games for at least 5 bucks more expensive than HMV. For a store that EXCLUSIVELY (mainly :L) sells videogames they're bastards.

• Advertisement

I feel the exact same mate,they are a bunch of ****ehawks! I never buy games there.let me know how you get on with the other place cos i'm not letting GAME make a 100% profit for putting a sticker on a box

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,200 ✭✭✭muppetkiller

I've actually found HMV are pretty good for that.
    I've brought back Blueray disks unopened and they've never had a problem with it. Provided they think they can sell them that is.
    If the games are new titles then you should be sound.

EDIT : Sorry I see you're looking for a cash refund ..no chance.
    But you could get gift cards which you'd sell on adverts.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭Rev. Kitchen

Why are the shops the bad guys in this? you got an console and ten games for free and you are trying to con the shops into giving you more than what they would have paid for them from their suppliers !!!

@Rev Kitchen. I don't see why you are sticking up for the shops in this case.They have been ripping us off for years and with the advent of game trading they have really stuck it to the little guy.a trade in price of 8 euro and a profit of 20-25 quid for putting a sticker on the box is such an unfair practice. I am just trying to make the most out of my windfall as possible so that i can continue to save for a house,surely you can't blame me for that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,726 ✭✭✭quank

Yo Rob, how much would you want for the whole lot?

• Advertisement

@ quank

Do you mean for the console, games and xbox live subscription or just the games.

I was thinking 200 for the console and 30 quid a pop for the games. Hard to say though at the moment as the prize hasnt even arrived yet. i couldnt charge someone 30 quid for something **** like "Kung Fu Panda" !!

If you bought the entire package, i.e games and console then the xbox live subscription would be thrown in too. think thats worth 60 quid new

What do you reckon?

Do you want to hang on til i post a list of the games?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

Just thought about it! I have a GREAT idea but there's two problems with it :

1) You'll have to wait a few months

2) Your games might depreciate in that time.

I just remembered, every January (i.e. post X-mas) HMV allow returning of games (without receipt) if it "was bought from them", i.e. returning unwanted, unopened presents! you get either full cash refund or full store credit.

Of course this is awesome, but your game might drop in value, especially coming up for Xmas....

Food for thought.

Oh, I have unopened New Super Mario Bros (DS) and Left 4 Dead (Xbox 360). I'd sell 'em for 60 euro, I'll throw in a month of Xbox Live Gold Card aswell if anyone's interested.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

No offense to the op, but you're the reason that shops are no longer willing to do refunds as a gesture of goodwill. You're trying to get money back for items you won? Scandalous.

I'm the reason,really? Sorry for ruining it for everyone,the shops must have known years in advance that'd i'd eventually try to 'defraud' them. If i trade them in i'll get next to nothing for them and they'll just sell it on as new,making them richer and me poorer. Fair enough,i was extremely lucky to win the prize but why begrudge me the opportunity to try and 'stick it to the man' and make a few quid for myself in these financially difficult times:) gonna give it a go regardless,i can be pretty persuasive as i am a sales rep by profession, so ya never know!ha:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,726 ✭✭✭quank

robrieguez wrote: »
    @ quank

Do you mean for the console, games and xbox live subscription or just the games.

I was thinking 200 for the console and 30 quid a pop for the games. Hard to say though at the moment as the prize hasnt even arrived yet. i couldnt charge someone 30 quid for something **** like "Kung Fu Panda" !!

If you bought the entire package, i.e games and console then the xbox live subscription would be thrown in too. think thats worth 60 quid new

What do you reckon?

Do you want to hang on til i post a list of the games?

Yeah, I meant the console, games and subscription. I think it's possible to buy 13 months for around €35 online, FYI.
    Do you know what size the harddrive is? Does it come with one wired controller?
    When will you find out the games?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

I'm the reason,really? Sorry for ruining it for everyone,the shops must have known years in advance that'd i'd eventually try to 'defraud' them. If i trade them in i'll get next to nothing for them and they'll just sell it on as new,making them richer and me poorer. Fair enough,i was extremely lucky to win the prize but why begrudge me the opportunity to try and 'stick it to the man' and make a few quid for myself in these financially difficult times:) gonna give it a go regardless,i can be pretty persuasive as i am a sales rep by profession, so ya never know!ha:)

If you don't like a shops policy on trade-ins, don't trade them in. No-one is forcing you to.

@quank. It is the 360 elite which has a 120 gb hard drive and black wireless controller as standard.i was under the impression that xbox live was still 60 for the year,anyway,it's irrelevant as i would throw it in with the package based on 30 quid a game and 200 for the console.i'll post the list when i get them,keep in mind they are 100% new and unopened. @Zapp...i am not trading them,that is the whole point of this thread,try to keep up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

You sir, are a scoundrel.

How, pray tell, would you trading them in make you poorer? Of course they'll sell them on, thats what businesses do. Sell things for more than what they bought them, I'm sure you should know that.

You're not sticking it to anyone. You're being a prick. Either sell them privately, or trade them in, and take the hit on the lower price. Simple.

Can't believe there are so many people that support Game and other shops.fair enough,it's not the most honest thing in the world but they are hardly mother theresa's themselves! I am trying my hardest to save some money and i don't see the problem in maximizing this situations potential and calling me a prick isn't going to change my opinion on the matter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

Most game shops are reasonable and if you have a sealed game with a receipt that you purchased they may give you a refund or store credit. What you are trying to do is fraud as you got the games for free. Discussion closed.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement