Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

32lb Salmon Landed on the River Nore

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

Lovely catch but to kill a fish like that is a disgrace. He should have taken a picture and let it go for somebody else to enjoy catching.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 ronnie#1

The fish looks stale in the photo, shame to kill a possible big springer? when the current stocks are so low...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭Macspower

Nice catch.

IMO if he wants to look at it forever take a photo and get it framed!

Would be better for nore fishing knowing that this guy was back in the water.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭Macspower

Nice catch.

IMO if he wants to look at it forever take a photo and get it framed!

Would be better for nore fishing knowing that this guy was back in the water.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 437 ✭✭yank_in_eire

Looks like a cock fish - better to kill that than a hen full of eggs -if you have to kill a fish at all.

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭pullandbang

Fantastic once in a lifetime opportunity and you can't blame him for taking it. He'll probably never achieve anything like that again and I certainly wouldn't begrudge him.

The river is catch and release so God knows how many he has already returned. He''s allowed take one fish so he'd be mad not to take that one.

Fair play to him and long may he enjoy the memory of catching a record fish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭8k2q1gfcz9s5d4

He plans to get the fish stuffed and put on display.

:mad:
    Each to their own, but I dont understand people to still stuff fish (or animals)
    I mean, if you have a photo like that, why kill the fish of a lifetime? With the way our salmon stocks have gone, i hate to see people killing wild salmon.

When I landed my biggest pike, I was 16 (back in the day!), I was terrified when i was unhooking it, as i didnt want to harm it, also the fish would probably have been older than me! But the best part for me, was holding the fish by the tail in the water while it recovered, when it was strong enough, I couldn't hold it any more, and it shot out of my hand. Id rather not catch a fish, if it is going to die on the bank

• Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭ironbluedun

have to agree the fish is red and considering all should have been returned

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭dbrock

fair play to him he has every right to keep it,
    you can get sick and tired of the catch and release begrudgers,
    its the same with a decent bass you see it everywhere, like they are some sacred fish:confused:
    if this keeps up there will be no one even telling us about these incredible fish,

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭coolwings

True.
    Allowances must be made for the fact that a certain harvest of a renewable resource is good and right, and if he caught it the decision is his.

Aside from his entitlement to decide. It's a hard to do, returning a really big fish if you have not already caught many fish, when it's totally legal to keep it. You need a complete confidence in yourself that you will catch many more like it in the future, and returning this one helps towards that. But very tough when it's the fish of a lifetime, the likes of which not likely to be seen again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭Auldloon

coolwings wrote: »
    True.
    Allowances must be made for the fact that a certain harvest of a renewable resource is good and right, and if he caught it the decision is his.

Aside from his entitlement to decide. It's a hard to do, returning a really big fish if you have not already caught many fish, when it's totally legal to keep it. You need a complete confidence in yourself that you will catch many more like it in the future, and returning this one helps towards that. But very tough when it's the fish of a lifetime, the likes of which not likely to be seen again.

Returning that fish of a lifetime gets easier every time :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 600 ✭✭✭greenpeter

I say fair play to him, i have seen people return salmon back to the river and they float back to the top a while later. People dream of such a catch so why not keep it and besides if there was one there must be more;)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭coolwings

Chuileog wrote: »
    Returning that fish of a lifetime gets easier every time :)
    That's quite observant. Beginners (and not such beginners)if you think about it, your big fish now is just a medium fish the years after next - because in angling you're improving as time passes! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

Fair play to him for landing such a specimen.

I believe the reports in the press said over 14,000 salmon were counted going up that river this season (just up to now) and the anglers on the river were given one tag to keep one fish. If thats their policy then by all means he should keep that fish if he wants to.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭ironbluedun

Salmon like that are from such a small rare gene pool of two or three sea winter fish, without getting into the science, they just have to be protected and conserved, irrespective of any opinion, including my own. Yes it is hard not to kill such a specimen fish but we just do not have any choice. There is no question about that. Salmon anglers in Ireland have to realise this and cop on to catch and release, again we are light years behind North America, New Zealand, other parts of northern Europe and even Russia where catch and release are practised. Salmon and trout can be returned and will survive successfully if handled correctly and returned to the water quickly this is fact. Just look at what is happening on the tweed in Scotland, the evidence is overwhelming.

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭J. Ramone

I think it is dangerous territory to condemn anyone for legally killing a wild salmon. There is evidence of the benefits of operation of catch and release fisheries but there are also some scientific studies pointing to poor survival rates in certain circumstances. You have to ask what type of hook was used and how long it took to land a salmon of that size in assessing the survivability. There are examples of lucrative catch and release fisheries operating where the run is impounded. There is a risk of disease spread through wounds inflicted on fish in unnaturally high densities. Catch and relaease for its own sake is not always a good thing. I have on occasion released salmon where appropriate.

Conservation in my opinion is a matter of conscience and I respect fishery rules and regulations. Where stocks are very low I chose not to fish. My only east coast salmon in recent years was accidentally hooked while sea trout fishing this year with a size 10 trout fly. I purposely played it heavy and broke, a reasonable outcome.

Advertisement