Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking to take up kayaking/canoeing

• 01-10-2009 3:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭

Hey, living in Blackrock, Dublin and looking to take up kayaking or canoeing. Only problem is it seems that most courses are finished now for the year, so I'm wondering what my options are.

I'm in Galway at weekends a lot so potentially could do something there too on a Saturday or Sunday.

Any clubs out there running winter courses, or any clubs I could join and learn the ropes over the window? Or maybe there are professional companies that would teach me over the winter?

Don't really get why there are no courses at this time of year - surely getting cold and wet is an inherent part of the activity?! Unless demand is just low now of course.

Anyway, any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Lenny

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

NUIGKC is your new friend.

http://www.nuigkc.com/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭Eyeball Tickler

I know NUIGKC well enough, but more for parties than kayaking :D

Does the club cater for non NUIG students?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

should do. im part of ULKC so not connected per say to them, but they should be MORE than willing to help you out. we have non students in UL kayaking with us.

everyone should kayak, its such an amazing sport.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 441 ✭✭KenHy

Galway kayak club may be more suited to a non student. If your looking for a club in Dublin try Wild Water Kayak Club, www.wwkc.net.

You'll struggle to find a beginners course now, getting cold and wet is all part of it, but the degree of coldness varies significantly from summer to winter!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭Eyeball Tickler

Thanks everyone - looks like it's not gonna be easy for me to get started over winter.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18 garboard

I bought a little BIC kayak with a wheel on it. I'm lucky we live near the sea so I can trundle down to the water edge and I go off on my own with the two kids. Wet suit from Lidl's. I only go when its light winds and onshore.

Advertisement