Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Opinions on Renault Lagunas ?

• 01-10-2009 3:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16

I see an awful lot of Renault Lagunas, even Diesel ones for sale.
    5-6 year old ones seem very cheap. Is there a problem with them ?
    I'm interested in the diesel version in particular ....

R

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭Mailman

http://www.autocar.co.uk/News/NewsArticle/Alfa-Romeo-166/242741/

9th worst depreciating car in the UK.
    facelifted Laguna 2 from 2005 is supposedly much improved.
    Diesels are supposed to be the most reliable of them even if they made a name for themselves by self-fuelling and blowing up.

As they are a good motorway/open road car with a good diesel engine then a clean facelifted one with a diesel engine imported from UK might be best.
    I wouldn't want one though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭Omcd

Build quality. You need an awful lot of glue to keep them together.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭no1beemerfan

Go for a 2005 facelift onwards in the Lag II. A lot of the problems on the Lag II were sorted by then. On the Diesels watch out for the turbo as these can fail if regular oil changes are not carried out.

Go for one with full service history and do the oil changes sooner than recommended. Also make sure timing belts etc were changed when they should and you should be ok.

They are a comfortable and big car.

Finally you should check out renaultforums.co.uk for some brilliant advice!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 195 ✭✭(CH3)2CHOH

The Diesel Laguna is pretty reliable car, the major problems would be suspension related on the pre 2005 cars. Renault used a new type of material for the bushing's. It resembles used chewing gum and the bushing can be shot in as little as 40,000 miles. Defo not suited to Irish roads.

One of the most comfortable cars around though.

It would have to be a good bit cheaper than a Mondeo or Passat before I'd go for it though. Luckily the original owners are the one who took the hit on depreciation hit. By the time it gets to being 5-6 years old its a disposable car, just about.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,398 ✭✭✭Dartz

I have a 2002 Laguna.

No problems with it at all. I knew the guy I bought it from. He had no problems with it from new. Shocks are starting to get a bit bouncy though.

It's big, comfy, well specced with plenty of room for a driver of long leg. Used, it represents pretty decent value. And besides, I think the 02-04 models look better than later ones.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭cadaliac

The Laguna's have very soft gearboxs and are very difficult to get second hand. (petrol mostly)
    Not sure if this was fixed after 2005 or not. Defo a big problem before that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭no1beemerfan

I meant to say I've a 1997 Laguna with almost 200,000 miles on it and its been and still is fantastic. But I take it your after the Lag II model!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,372 ✭✭✭bladespin

Horrendous reputation for breaking down, avoid unless you're a mechanic.

MasteryDarts Ireland - Master your game!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭Saab Ed

Mid 2005 face lifted car onwards is bomb proof. Pre 05 cars are to be avoided at any cost. 120 bhp Privilege with the 6 speed box is simply fantastic. Last of them in 06 had 130 bhp. Super car but like I said dont even consider a pre 05 car, just junk.

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭timbertime

I have a 2002 diesel laguna. Its the supersport with the 6 speed gearbox. Wouldn't swap it. Haven't had a problem with it to date (touch wood). Its great fun to drive and very economical aswell. Getting about 51mpg out of it at the moment.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭heavyballs

timbertime wrote: »
    I have a 2002 diesel laguna. Its the supersport with the 6 speed gearbox. Wouldn't swap it. Haven't had a problem with it to date (touch wood). Its great fun to drive and very economical aswell. Getting about 51mpg out of it at the moment.

a mate used to own a renault garage a few years ago,got a 2002 model gave it back ,electrical problems,got another 2003,gave that back also,same probs only worse everything from cuutinfg out to electric mirrors not working,driving a mondeo now,it's tops.
    my dad has a 98 laguna,never had a problem and the model is very reliable

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,102 ✭✭✭✭Drummerboy08

heavyballs wrote: »
    a mate used to own a renault garage a few years ago,got a 2002 model gave it back ,electrical problems,got another 2003,gave that back also,same probs only worse everything from cuutinfg out to electric mirrors not working,driving a mondeo now,it's tops.
    my dad has a 98 laguna,never had a problem and the model is very reliable

You'd want a pair of "heavyballs" to buy one......:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,575 ✭✭✭junkyard

You'd want a pair of "heavyballs" to buy one......:pac:
    And even heavier ones to try and sell one.:) I wouldn't have one in my way, towed in a 02 Clio this morning, 42k miles on it the gearbox in pieces, Renaults really are a joke, I don't know why people buy them.:o

junkyard wrote: »
    And even heavier ones to try and sell one.:) I wouldn't have one in my way, towed in a 02 Clio this morning, 42k miles on it the gearbox in pieces, Renaults really are a joke, I don't know why people buy them.:o

The car is not normaly the problem when selling it , its the salesman ;)

02 Clios are good cars. 02 Lagunas are junk. Lots of D4D Toyotas around that time sh!t their gearboxes too. Now Im not under any illusions as to the problems Renault had but are all Toyotas junk on that basis?

Saab Ed wrote: »
    The car is not normaly the problem when selling it , its the salesman ;)

02 Clios are good cars. 02 Lagunas are junk. Lots of D4D Toyotas around that time sh!t their gearboxes too. Now Im not under any illusions as to the problems Renault had but are all Toyotas junk on that basis?
    In my view Toyota are rubbish too, especially the European assembled ones. But, and it's a big but, Toyota replace the problem parts, no questions asked. Mercedes and VW aren't much better than Renault either but people still buy them because the older models were bomb proof and they're still trading on past glories.

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭benj

buy a mondeo....Lagunas are troublesome....

In my view Toyota are rubbish too, especially the European assembled ones. But, and it's a big but, Toyota replace the problem parts, no questions asked. Mercedes and VW aren't much better than Renault either but people still buy them because the older models were bomb proof and they're still trading on past glories.

They all have their problems , we agree on that for sure. Todays Renaults get a hard time because of that era from 01-05 when the Laguna and Megane were sh!te and the back up was even worse. The current models i.e Clio, New Megane and Laguna are bomb proof and the back up has changed completly since the Frogs came in. I know the 01-05 laguna was very bad but it really isnt a true repesentation of the bigger picture. All Clios from 1990 to today are bombproof. 19's and MKI lagunas were too as were the first generation Megane and Scenic. Now thats hardy ringing true that "All" Renaults are rubbish.

They all have their problems , we agree on that for sure. Todays Renaults get a hard time because of that era from 01-05 when the Laguna and Megane were sh!te and the back up was even worse. The current models i.e Clio, New Megane and Laguna are bomb proof and the back up has changed completly since the Frogs came in. I know the 01-05 laguna was very bad but it really isnt a true repesentation of the bigger picture. All Clios from 1990 to today are bombproof. 19's and MKI lagunas were too as were the first generation Megane and Scenic. Now thats hardy ringing true that "All" Renaults are rubbish.

I still wouldn't have one in my way though, my next door neighbour bought a new Laguna and it broke three times in the first week he had it. Each to their own but personally, they've proved themselves to me so many times and their aftersales is probably the worst of any make.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭Green Hornet

Yes. They are as bad as their reputation. No end of electical problems. If you buy one you buy it for life. Full of gimmicks that break down.

As another poster said, why the hell do people keep buying them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Stevie Dakota

their aftersales is probably the worst of any make.

We have a 2006 Megane, UK sourced, and it's required a few warranty items. In each case it was handled without fuss or protest (Renault Sandyford), in fact the service would be hard to better, and was easily a match for my previous experience with BMW.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Ah Junkyard, good to see you pop in again when a Renault thread shows up. It's been a while since you posted (funnily enough)

I assume that Laguna in your neighbours drive is the same one that dumped all its oil on the driveway?(the only issue you mentioned last time iirc, but it seems to have upped to 3 now nonetheless) , they did well to have it back to him quick enough for it to break down 2 more times inside the first week. Good customer service I would say, no?:)

Anyway. Review sites seem fairly confident that the new ones are grand (no bad reports as far as I can see) and that post 05 facelifted ones are grand. Laguna 1's were fine cars too and even a fair amount Laguna 2's from 01-05 have been known to be fine. But sure you do know best afterall.

Yes. They are as bad as their reputation. No end of electical problems. If you buy one you buy it for life. Full of gimmicks that break down.

Audi (to name one of the more prominent ones) finished below Renault in reliability surveys over the last couple of years. Why do peopel keep buying them? If Renault are bad, that must make Audi's utter garbage that never run.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

Mid 2005 face lifted car onwards is bomb proof. Pre 05 cars are to be avoided at any cost. 120 bhp Privilege with the 6 speed box is simply fantastic. Last of them in 06 had 130 bhp. Super car but like I said dont even consider a pre 05 car, just junk.

I had a 2006 130BHP as a company car back in '06, well I say I had one, I actually had rentals mostly because it was never out of the dealers with one problem or another.

Everything went wrong with it. And 4 guys on my team chose the same car and had the same problems

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,398 ✭✭✭Dartz

Seems to be they either run like clockwork, or fall to pieces repeatedly, with nothing in between.

Most cars have some niggles.... But I've an 02 Laguna, 1.8, 4 speed auto. Not a thing has gone wrong with it. Except the shocks of course, but that's because of the ****e roads, and the ramps somebody installed outside.

Only minor niggle was that I murdered the battery with a week's worth of short journeys.

7 years and 2 owners. 40-odd K miles.

Maybe it's just the exception that proves the rule...

Advertisement