Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Network Woes

Options
  • 01-10-2009 3:53pm

I wonder if anyone could help me with a slight problem that we seem to be having with our wireless internet lately. Out of three laptops in the house, only mine can use the network. The internet itself works, as when you plug a laptop directly into the modem, there are no problems. It is a WPA protected connection; they have entered the correct code as it lets them connect, yet for some reason the internet won't work - it will send packets but not recieve any.

The wireless network was set up using my laptop, but my iPod Touch can get on the internet easily. Any ideas as to what the problem may be, and any solutions.

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

I wonder if anyone could help me with a slight problem that we seem to be having with our wireless internet lately. Out of three laptops in the house, only mine can use the network. The internet itself works, as when you plug a laptop directly into the modem, there are no problems. It is a WPA protected connection; they have entered the correct code as it lets them connect, yet for some reason the internet won't work - it will send packets but not recieve any.

The wireless network was set up using my laptop, but my iPod Touch can get on the internet easily. Any ideas as to what the problem may be, and any solutions.

Have you tried turning off the wireless security? Have you tried changing the wireless channel? Did the laptops in question ever connect to this network?

Have the laptops in question updated and security software that they may have installed? Have you checked to see if there is any mac filtering inadvertently turned on?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

I setup wifi routers for work, they regularly get stuck or refuse to work, depends on the brand, but any brand (even linksys which I'd recommend) can refuse to work and may need resetting to default and setting it up again. Reset the router, setup the wireless network again and delete the networks on all pc's/laptops and start afresh.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Speaking of linksys and the unpredictability of routers etc - a friend of mine has the linksys wag54gs - a wireless gateway - its been fine for years and recently he lost his connection. When he investigated he found all his settings gone and the linksys gateway language now in French. Not an uncommon fault according to the net and if it happens to you the language options are on the firmware update page!!!

By the way I had an early version of this model and had to get rid of it because it kept losing its settings. Wireless equipment really can be so unpredictable and infuriating.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Yep, its always a good idea to use Backup/Restore. I've my Linksys modem backed up for the day it decides to go tits up. Its more regular than You'd think, I've gotten through about a hundred Linksys routers this year, I'd say 5% reset or get stuck within warranty. Linksys is still the brand I'd recommend though, much more dependable than others we've tried.

Advertisement