Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New Volvo V70 - 148MPG

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭BlackWizard

I'm just not impressed to be honest. It just has a big battery which you have to recharge before you drive it. At least the prius uses some nifty ideas to recharge its battery.

And some car manufacturer recently said they will power a car by using an electric motor constantly being charged by a diesel engine.

The idea of just having a big battery attached to the car doesn't seem that impressive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭alias no.9

This is a slight of hand similar to the recent stories about the Chevrolet Volt / Opel Ampere. They've come up with a new test that includes parts powered by petrol / diesel and parts powered by electricity stored in batteries but sourced from the grid. It obviously makes assumptions as to how much of each you might use on average and the test result can only be as useful as these assumptions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭zod

It just has a big battery which you have to recharge before you drive it.

The Volvo's can use its five-cylinder diesel engine to drive the vehicle and recharge the batteries.
    That means that for strong acceleration, the diesel engine can team with the electric motors. That said, Volvo says it will include an electric-only mode, allowing owners to effectively put the diesel engine to sleep and rely only on electric power.

http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/drive/motor-news/first-drive-volvo-v70-plugin-hybrid-20090930-gbwq.html

I know it will do that and I'm sure it will affect fuel consumption too. Although not a lot.

I'm just trying to get at its creative ingenuity for creating an eco car. The prius allows you to transfer braking power and natural coasting power into the battery to charge it. It does it's best to minimise waste.

The idea of just have an all electric power vehicle charge by a diesel engine does the same thing. Minimizes any waste of energy.

However it does mention it can go into all electric mode with the engine turned off. But can it go into all electric mode with the engine still running to keep the battery charged? That's the same idea as above.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,478 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

I think it's a good idea. you won't get caught with a flat battery, and if you commute, it's easy to charge at home, if you don't charge it, it's not the end of the world.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 760 ✭✭✭245

colm_mcm wrote: »
    if you don't charge it, it's not the end of the world.

It is if you're a polar bear and you believe the Greens, although some would argue that its already the end of the world for the bears, it being the North Pole and all that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭zod

I know it will do that and I'm sure it will affect fuel consumption too. Although not a lot.

Ahem what mpg does a prius get ?
    I'm just trying to get at its creative ingenuity for creating an eco car. The prius allows you to transfer braking power and natural coasting power into the battery to charge it. It does it's best to minimise waste.

Lift off the accelerator and there's an odd groaning noise as the engine goes into regenerative braking mode, whereby energy is recaptured as electricity for later use. source
    However it does mention it can go into all electric mode with the engine turned off. But can it go into all electric mode with the engine still running to keep the battery charged?

yes it can, sorry what on earth are you talking about ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

The 31 miles on battery power is good, and having the conventional engine is good. But I wish these outlandish mpg claims would stop as they're meaningless. Bit like saying I get 999.9mpg. What I didn't mention was that was from the top of Carrantuohill to the bottom, with the engine off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Tea 1000

The idea of just have an all electric power vehicle charge by a diesel engine does the same thing. Minimizes any waste of energy.
    I don't know why this hasn't been done already. It's probably the most efficient method. Trains have been doing that for donkeys years! (Albiet for transmission issues rather than planet saving ones!)

zod wrote: »
    Ahem what mpg does a prius get ?

Lift off the accelerator and there's an odd groaning noise as the engine goes into regenerative braking mode, whereby energy is recaptured as electricity for later use. source

yes it can, sorry what on earth are you talking about ?

Stop getting so defensive FFS. So childish really. You would think you designed this car yourself.

I'm not saying the Prius is better. As I said already, I just don't think it's that creative. This idea has been out for years.

It's good that it doesn't waste deceleration and braking power, I didn't know that.

I don't think it can run on just electric power using the engine to constantly charge it. Could you link me to that too? AFAIK that technology is just in concept cars, but maybe this Volvo has snook this in below radar. As Tea 1000 just said, it's an incredibly efficient way to use a diesel engine.

• Advertisement

JHMEG wrote: »
    The 31 miles on battery power is good, and having the conventional engine is good. But I wish these outlandish mpg claims would stop as they're meaningless. Bit like saying I get 999.9mpg. What I didn't mention was that was from the top of Carrantuohill to the bottom, with the engine off.

Would it be fairer if they went through the normal MPG tests but start off with a dead battery minus startup power? Right now they probably start off on a full battery.

That way it will test the engine economy and how well it minimizes engine waste. But the problem is that at the end of the test the batter could well be half charged. :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

Would it be fairer if they went through the normal MPG tests but start off with a dead battery minus startup power? Right now they probably start off on a full battery.
    They need 2 figures. One is a miles per charge (intention being that it's charged from the mains), and the 2nd being the mpg when it's running solely on liquid fuel.

Advertisement