Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for some new book recommendations!

Options
  • 01-10-2009 4:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20,054 ✭✭✭✭

Hi all,

im a voracious :D reader, id love some recommendations on some new books or authors to try, also any good autobiographys that people have read recently.

The authors i tend to like are Harlan Coben, Robert Ludlum, Jeffrey Deaver, Paul Howard (Ross o Carroll Kelly). Love sport autobiographys, love books like city boy, wolf of wall street, bringing down the house.

So mostly just brain candy, nothing too deep or meaningful,

anyone recommend a book or series of books to me?

cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,256 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

If you like rugby, then I would recommend George Hook's autobiography "Time added on".

You might like Lee Child for some mindless action type stuff (Jack Reacher series). Robert Crais' Elvis Cole private detective novels are alright too, there's a good bit of humour in them.

Nelson DeMille has some OK books, but they tend to be very formulaic.

Michael Connelly's Harry Bosch collection is very good - one of the better US crime series in my opinion. The non-Bosch books aren't as good, but not that bad. Some loosely tie in with Bosch, and at least a couple are completely stand alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,054 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

eoin wrote: »
    If you like rugby, then I would recommend George Hook's autobiography "Time added on".

You might like Lee Child for some mindless action type stuff (Jack Reacher series). Robert Crais' Elvis Cole private detective novels are alright too, there's a good bit of humour in them.

Nelson DeMille has some OK books, but they tend to be very formulaic.

Michael Connelly's Harry Bosch collection is very good - one of the better US crime series in my opinion. The non-Bosch books aren't as good, but not that bad. Some loosely tie in with Bosch, and at least a couple are completely stand alone.

cheers Eoin

i like the bosch series, but not as much as say the myron bolitar coben books

Try James Ellroy as well (LA Confidential and the Black Dahlia). Might be worth checking out stuff on adverts.ie as well ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭randomguy

Have you tried "The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo"? - very readable.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

Ben Elton is one of my guilty pleasures. His books are good fun, not going win you adoration from Mensa or anything!

But reading is supposed to be fun, and reading his books are just that :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,054 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

thanks all some good suggestions there

much appreciated!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,906 ✭✭✭SarahBM

I highly recommend Sharon Osbourne's autobiography "Extreme". Very good read. and also Anthony Keidis' book "Scar Tissue" ( he is the lead singer with the red hot chili peppers.). Have you read Gordan Strachan's book. It a good read if you like sports people.
    The Book of Lost Things is a great book by John Connelly. Not the type of book I would normally go for but a great book.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,388 ✭✭✭GiftofGab

Donnie Brasco - nonfiction about a guy going undercover in the mafia for 6 years, also a great film starring Al Pacino

A Long Way Gone - Autobiography about a child soldier in Sierra Leone (extraordinary story), very similar to the film Blood Diamond.

The Ice Man: Confessions of a Mafia Contract Killer: Nonfiction, title says it all, this man confessed to murdering over 100 people. It is believed to be in the region of 200.

I Hope They Serve Beer In Hell: Favourite book of all time. The ultimate brain candy book. This guy is an legend!! Get this, you will not be disappointed!!!!

GiftofGab wrote: »
    The Ice Man: Confessions of a Mafia Contract Killer: Nonfiction, title says it all, this man confessed to murdering over 100 people. It is believed to be in the region of 200.

That's what Kuklinski claimed, but he is widely believed to be a fantasist (e.g. that he killed Jimmy Hoffa). I found it an interesting enough read, but very poorly written.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

also, when Im stuck for something to read I always go back to BBC's big read from a few years back and start from the top and pick the next one down the list I have not read...

[not many left now!]

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19 rickman

try:

lustrum - robert harris (randonhouse.co.uk)
    here comes robert kingdom - peter mc cluskey (location27books.com)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 paoloiaquinta

looked at this guys website - you were right - the "robert kingdom" book is out. it says he's selling some copies for charity.

don't forget new marian keyes book

• Registered Users Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭Paddy Samurai

Cyrus wrote: »
    Hi all,

im a voracious :D reader, id love some recommendations on some new books or authors to try,
    The authors i tend to like are Robert Ludlum,

So mostly just brain candy, nothing too deep or meaningful,

anyone recommend a book or series of books to me?

cheers

If you like ludlum try David Morrell,althought not as good as Ludlum ,he still wrote some good thrillers.
    "Brotherhood of the Rose"
    "Fraternity of Stone"
    "The League of Night and Fog" were the 3 i read , all quite good.

Also any of the thrillers by Eric Van Lustbader are great reads...Ninja,White Ninja,Shan,the Miko etc,etc.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,488 ✭✭✭Denerick

I haven't read a sports biography in yonks but Tony Adams one is quite interesting. Life of an alcoholic in sports and all that.

Advertisement