Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

If the Greens get their way, will the motorway to Dublin be effected?

• 01-10-2009 4:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭

Irish times 1st October Transport policy is another key area for the Greens and the party wants to see a reversal of the current ratio of investment in public transport by comparison with roads, with 94 road projects at the design or earlier stages being scrapped. The Atlantic road corridor and the eastern bypass plans would be dropped, while the western rail project would be extended.

I'm not sure what stage the motorway to Dublin is at, but how would the above possibility effect our chances of being able to drive at 120kmph 90% of the way to Dublin? Is the project too advanced now to be stopped?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,657 ✭✭✭trishw78

The project is way too far advanced to be stopped as they would've bought the land via a CPO. the last time I went to Dublin they were doing the 'tie-in' with current M9/10 at Kilcullen, The by-pass to Knocktopher is due to open in November I'm nearly sure the next section is well underway and the Kilkenny section is also well underway. Idon't see why it wouldn't be 120km the whole way to Dublin.

I mean why wouldn't it? That's a small paragraph the doesn't indicate anything of the sort. I think what it is refering to maybe the second bridge at New Ross etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

I suppose I was just concerned at the whole concept of cutting the funding to road construction. I was wondering if the reduction in funding would mean a lesser grade of road classification in some way. I havent been on that route to Dublin in a long time so its great to hear the northern sections are at that stage of completion. The last thing Waterford needs is a change to the plan to have that motor way completed.

Wouldnt it be lovely if having a University in Waterford was on the Green list of demands in these programme for government talks. I'm very much a neutral but I wonder if having a good Green TD in Waterford would be a good thing for us in the future.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

Trotter wrote: »
    Wouldnt it be lovely if having a University in Waterford was on the Green list of demands in these programme for government talks. I'm very much a neutral but I wonder if having a good Green TD in Waterford would be a good thing for us in the future.

Well a bad Green Party representative was bad for Waterford over the past few years, so a good one might be good for Waterford. :)

Seriously though, what it's all about is holding the balance of power. Gormley et al have Cowen's scrotum in a blender and the moment and they're threatening to push the button. That situation won't last forever, and the Greens - fair play to them - know it, which is why they're preparing their list of demands now.

By the time a Green Party candidate of sufficient calibre came forward and was elected TD in Waterford however, the Greens would probably be back to being a 4- or 5-seat opposition party, so it would be no use.

Better to have an Independent. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

There will be no Green TDs after the next election bar one in Dublin I'd say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭deisedol

mike65 wrote: »
    There will be no Green TDs after the next election bar one in Dublin I'd say.

I think you are absolutely right there. The greens will be 'extinct' if they dont get out of bed with FF as soon as possible. If they continue in government i see the same fate as the PD's. It takes more than one strong candidate in Dublin to keep a national party alive. It is a shame the greens are allowing themselves to lower their standards just to stay in power. It wont be forgotten the next time we get to vote for our government.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭ex_infantry man

i heard if the lisbon gets the yes vote that there would be a greater chance of the funding to get the 3rd river crossing down stream in waterford??????????????????????????????????????????/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭Mickdots

i heard if the lisbon gets the yes vote that there would be a greater chance of the funding to get the 3rd river crossing down stream in waterford??????????????????????????????????????????/

thats the reason why i voted no while braindead gits like this believe this

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭JohnC.

Mickdots wrote: »

As opposed to no campaigners telling outright lies and continuing to tell the same outright lies after they admitted it was untrue.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭hipster2009

so you believe the no sides stories about min wage, abortion etc! pot /kettle/ black.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Guys who cares? The votes been taken.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭ex_infantry man

i,d be careful about who your callin a braindead git there dickdots

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Deise Tom

We hear alot of these purposals that the greens are going to put to Brian Cowan if they are to stay in power with them in the Dail. I wonder is it too late to make one.

They should insist that no T.D, Senator, Councillor gets more than 40,000 a year, and that expences have to be examined very carefully before been paid out and anything that is any bit dodgy should be thrown out straight away. The country would be back in shape in no time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 699 ✭✭✭meldrew

The Greens as a political force are finished no matter what come the next election, so what they do or say now is irrelevant , so I dont think people in Waterford need worry too much about them .

Getting into government was probably the worst thing that happened to them.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Calm down, calm down.

The EU gives funding for this sort of stuff - so it can be considered part of the "If we get a No vote, we may be somewhat screwed". Europe folks may not be throwing out the cash as quickly, etc. But still, not much point discussing it now - the country has said Yes and its time to move on to good times (we hope!).

I think the Greens are actually getting a bit smarter (but may do some stupid things as part of the plans) and squeesing FF for all they can get.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 795 ✭✭✭rasper

whats the point i even trying to get elected if they wouldn't go into government , yes they will lose some principled supporters but it has to be about compromise , if they can get a chance to implement green policies which would never get off the ground otherwise then thats better than just attending the Dail, claim the expenses then retire on a the generous pension without achieving anything (like some/most Waterford TDs), it was the bad timing and the total incompetence of the FF/PD coalition including the senior civil servants who run the departments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭Tellox

That turned out well for you then, didn't it.

To be honest I know a few greens supporters and they're some of the nicest people I know - and some of their motives are quite smart. But unfortunately on an overall basis, I think their popularity will be severely lower next election.. for obvious reasons.

And I would not think that the green's would push to halt construction on the motorway. Cars on motorways are a lot more mpg economical than say, a car driving up a **** excuse for a backarse country road. Not to mention that the motorway will also make the trip to and from Dublin a lot shorter in terms of distance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭deisedol

I think the green party are being very very clever right now.
    They are diverting attention away from all the negatives like NAMA and doing up their new green programme for government. It is totally idealistic as they are proposing Universal Health care for all , reversing education cuts and other radical reforms. There is not a hope in hell FF will agree to any of this ideology at the moment.
    The Greens will opt out on government on a high and it will look as if they have strong principles and convictions.
    This is a clever ploy on the greens part as they will leave government with their party intact and fully behind them .
    This way they will avoid the whole NAMA debate by divering to other areas like health and education
    The next month will tell a lot!

If they are intent on avoiding the likes of NAMA and other negatives, that says enough for me. You cannot simply ignore negatives and hope they go away or nobody notices. A party which is not going to tackle problems is a party which has no right to be in a government. They may as well change their name to Mary Harney.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭PomBear

I wouldn't put it past them after their conduct during the M3 going through Tara

• Advertisement
Advertisement