Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

6kVA or 10kVA ESB Connection?

• 01-10-2009 4:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 136 ✭✭

Hi,

Just wondering if anyone has any thoughts on which connection size i should apply for. It is 3000sq ft house so i am thinking it will draw a fairly significant amount of power when occupied fully in a few years. Am also thinking of installing a heat pump down the road

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Bosco1

Hi AverageJoe,

6kVA should be fine - its a nominal 6kVA - they have to give you a minimum 63Amp single phase supply for a house - so your main fuse will carry 13-14kVA approx. Remember a lot of people have a 9kVA electric shower that doesnt trip their fuse even when running with other thinks. The fuse will also carry short-term overloads for a period of time.
    Avoid having more than one elec shower...and check rating of electric cooker and the heat pump - will probably be fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 Neeni

Hiya YourAverageJoe,

To my knowledge the standard domestic connection these days is 12kva. I can't imagine that 6kva would be sufficient to run your household as well as a heat pump. I would suggest that you talk to your electrician prior to making an application for supply as an application to increase your load down the line will probably cost you more in the long run.

Historically 8kva was an adequate load but with current appliances and demands for electricity it has increased to 12kva.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Bosco1

Joe/Neeni

Actually looking at the ESB application form it looks like 12kVA is the standard domestic, they recommend 16kVA if you have a single phase heat pump.
    STill - my point about the fuses still applies - 63Amp is the minimum, that probably equates to 12kVA, and you probably get 80Amp fuses if you go for 16kVA.

Look at ESB form NC2 (web)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 136 ✭✭YourAverageJoe

yeah, my mistake, it is 12 or 16

Advertisement