Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Don't know were i went wrong

• 01-10-2009 5:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 591 ✭✭✭

I'm trying to run my Smart broadband off a netopia modem.. I've updated it too 7.5.0 i've put in my username and password in the configuration.. Nothing happens.. On one it gives me the yellow triangle in front the internet connection and on my desktop it asks for the security key i've tried the WEP and WPA PSK keys and also tried my Smart password but nothing.

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,430 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

matt1958 wrote: »
    I'm trying to run my Smart broadband off a netopia modem.. I've updated it too 7.5.0 i've put in my username and password in the configuration.. Nothing happens.. On one it gives me the yellow triangle in front the internet connection and on my desktop it asks for the security key i've tried the WEP and WPA PSK keys and also tried my Smart password but nothing.

I don't get it. Are you referring to the PPPoE password for the ADSL connection, or the encryption key for the wireless connection?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭robbie_998

netopia as in eircom router ?

maybe smart will send you one for free insted ?

some of the configuration on the modem would be different to smart's

• Closed Accounts Posts: 591 ✭✭✭matt1958

From my desktop computer when i try to connect a box pops up Type the Network Security Key.. I've tried all the "security" keys i got nothing happens.. On my laptop it doesn't ask for a key it has the yellow triangle in front of the internet globes.. thanks for the reply.. sorry yeah the wireless key spear

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,430 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

From my desktop computer when i try to connect a box pops up Type the Network Security Key.. I've tried all the "security" keys i got nothing happens.. On my laptop it doesn't ask for a key it has the yellow triangle in front of the internet globes.. thanks for the reply.. sorry yeah the wireless key spear

Then it's definitely not related to the any Smart supplied credentials. Connect by wire, and log in to \\192.168.1.254\ and you can change or check the wireless key there. And change the encryption method to WPA while you're at it, with AES instead of TKIP if possible.

robbie_998 wrote: »
    netopia as in eircom router ?

maybe smart will send you one for free insted ?

some of the configuration on the modem would be different to smart's
    this is what is doing my head in ive put all the smart settings onto the netopia i just get this security stuff doing my head in..

• Advertisement

this is what is doing my head in ive put all the smart settings onto the netopia i just get this security stuff doing my head in..

they run of separate systems like ADSL and DSL and so on, there are secruity issue's like smarts systems getting crossed with eircoms,

smart should sent you out a free modem anyway

@ spear i changed it too WPA PSK nothing has happened.. i put it on too WEP Automatic still nothing happening..

@ robbie i got a thomson wireless off them it fit for the job.. i was on the phone 2day to smart he tested the thomson and netopia the netopia doubled my speed from 3 Mb too 6Mb on a 9Mb package..

@ robbie i got a thomson wireless off them it fit for the job.. i was on the phone 2day to smart he tested the thomson and netopia the netopia doubled my speed from 3 Mb too 6Mb on a 9Mb package..

its just the way eircom set them up, you could go to a computer shop and buy the best wireless modem there is on the market and you could end up with the full 9 megs but it depends on the lines

@ spear i changed it too WPA PSK nothing has happened.. i put it on too WEP Automatic still nothing happening..

Did you change the key as well?

i've been trying to fix it since 2 o clock.. heads just :confused:.. take a few hours break from it den come back to it.. thanks for the suggestions

• Advertisement

Spear wrote: »
    Did you change the key as well?

yeah and restarted the modem..

yeah and restarted the modem..

Does the router appear when you seach for networks and be correctly identified as WPA protected?

Spear wrote: »
    Does the router appear when you seach for networks and be correctly identified as WPA protected?
    It does yeah

Spear thanks for the time and suggestions appreciated.. But the head is fried taking a time out then come back and start from the start.. thanks again

Can someone plz post a step by step guide as too how i set up a Netopia 3347NWG to use Smart Broadband. I'm looking too run two computers off it. I've the firmware installed 7.7.0r6 thanks too robbie for that. Smarts Thomson wireless is only fit for the recycling bin it only lets me have 2.5Mb too 3Mb on a 9Mb package. The Netopia doubles my speed (the Smart technician checked it) that was before i installed the firmware so hopefully when i get it set up i'll up to near the 9Mb speed.

Advertisement