Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Question about applying to college

Options
  • 01-10-2009 5:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9,139 ✭✭✭

I hope to apply for a third level course beginning next year. I know I can apply under the 'mature' category but I am wondering is it possible to apply using the points I earned in the leaving cert (8 years ago) instead? Also is there any advantage of one over the other?

Thanks

Will

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭Nelly2

You can apply both ways, you don't have to choose. It'll improve your chances of getting a place and keeps the avenues open.
    I don't think either way is necessarily more advantageous than the other. Going the LC Points route, you should make sure your points are high enough to take into account that there could be a sudden jump in required entry points for your desired course.
    The Mature Student route doesn't take LC points into account, it mainly looks at life/work experience and willingness and readiness to return to education. Your written application is very important and you may have to do an interview or entrance exam.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 483 ✭✭9wetfckx43j5rg

Depends on what college you want to go but I would advice going the mature student route.

I just did my leaving cert, came out with 395 points and didn't get offered my first place as it jumped 30 points. I instead applied for a plc course which I am now in.

The thing is, points for courses are determined by the amount of people applying and the number of places available. Now the number of places available haven't changed, the the number applying has greatly increased. Which means most courses points rose and will again next year. Thanks to the recession a certain amount of places are now held for mature students (or a greater number becos of recession) and if you apply as a mature student you are also eliglble for a back to education grant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,139 ✭✭✭-Trek-

Thanks for both replies, I guess the mature route is the one to go with, even though as it stands I have points to spare (but that's this year!). Guess I was hoping to bypass all the interviews and 'life' questions that come with the mature entry process (I don't like interviews), but whatever it takes!

Thanks again

Will

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

Have a look here: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055676871

Might be some help. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,139 ✭✭✭-Trek-

Larianne wrote: »
    Have a look here: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055676871

Might be some help. ;)

Thanks for that, it was very helpful.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭Shatner

Trekmad wrote: »
    Thanks for both replies, I guess the mature route is the one to go with, even though as it stands I have points to spare (but that's this year!). Guess I was hoping to bypass all the interviews and 'life' questions that come with the mature entry process (I don't like interviews), but whatever it takes!

Thanks again

Will

Make sure that you use the written (not online) application if you are going the mature route. You are limited to inputting a very small number of characters into the boxes for work experience etc.

The online form does not give you the chance to fully demonstrate your unique skills/abilities.

Submit the paper form, and take time to write and re-write the answers to the major sections. And get someone to proof-read your app before submitting.

Caveat: The online form may have changed (I'm basing this post on the form I saw a couple of years back) so I may be wrong about that.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

Shatner wrote: »
    Make sure that you use the written (not online) application if you are going the mature route. You are limited to inputting a very small number of characters into the boxes for work experience etc.

The online form does not give you the chance to fully demonstrate your unique skills/abilities.

Submit the paper form, and take time to write and re-write the answers to the major sections. And get someone to proof-read your app before submitting.

I did my application on-line and with the work experience, personal statement etc.sections I wrote "see postal documents" and sent them by post with my name and CAO number. Worked for me!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭Shatner

Larianne wrote: »
    I did my application on-line and with the work experience, personal statement etc.sections I wrote "see postal documents" and sent them by post with my name and CAO number. Worked for me!

That works too! It's just that I know some people just use the online form only and that is not suitable for the Mature Student Application process.

Advertisement