Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Possible to Have Two Routers?

Options
  • 01-10-2009 5:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭

Hoping somebody can help me with this.

I have a Netgear DG834GT downstairs in my house connected to a games console. Wireless reception is grand downstairs, but upstairs there's no signal. Is it possible to put something like this upstairs (I have a phone line and a splitter, too, for upstairs) and have both running at the same time?

Thanks.

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,238 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

PacManFan wrote: »
    Hoping somebody can help me with this.

I have a Netgear DG834GT downstairs in my house connected to a games console. Wireless reception is grand downstairs, but upstairs there's no signal. Is it possible to put something like this upstairs (I have a phone line and a splitter, too, for upstairs) and have both running at the same time?

Thanks.

If the second (non-ADSL) router supports WDS or client bridge mode, you can do that. If you mean two ADSL modem equipped routers, then no, both can't work on the same phone line at the same time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

You can't use a second dsl modem. You need an access point like this. Run a cable from one of the lan ports of the Netgear. Set the ssid and password to the same as set on the Netgear but You must use a different channel

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭PacManFan

Thanks for both the replies.
    PogMoThoin wrote: »
    You can't use a second dsl modem. You need an access point like this. Run a cable from one of the lan ports of the Netgear. Set the ssid and password to the same as set on the Netgear but You must use a different channel
    So, if I was to go with this method, how would I then receive a signal upstairs? Sorry if this is a stupid question. But do I move the access point upstairs or put another one upstairs or am I on the totally wrong track?

You'd need to run a cable from one to the other

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭PacManFan

Oh, I see. That'd be one very big cable. Is there an easier way?

• Advertisement

PacManFan wrote: »
    Oh, I see. That'd be one very big cable. Is there an easier way?

Not one that works as well as running a cable and adding an access point.

See this thread

• Registered Users Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭SoundWave

u could user a Powerline Ethernet Adapter to connect the 2 wireless access points together.

I use them at home myself, i got the linksys av 200mb ones and they work a treat, ive in spare room where the router+phoneline is, and one down the living room connected to ps3, slingbox etc...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭Carlow52

Just picked up one of these in PC World in Airside for 63 euro( last one)

The wireless range extender did not work so I have connected it to a cat 5 outlet I had in the far end of house: works very well: full 5 lines on the signal strength identifier on the mac. It also will allow me bring it out in garden in summer.

It has one RJ45 socket and no on/off switch so u need to turn it off at socket

Hope this helps

its like this one
    http://catalog.belkin.com/IWCatProductPage.process?Product_Id=255033

Advertisement