Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Flaming taxi drivers holding the city to ransom Ggrrrrr...

Options
  • 01-10-2009 5:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 380 ✭✭

WHY ARE THE GARDAI NOT UPHOLDING THE LAW BY BREAKING UP AN ILLEGAL PROTEST?
    WHO IS THE SENIOR OFFICER IN CHARGE, HOW MUCH MONEY IS BEING PAID IN OVERTIME TO GARDAI STANDING AROUND DOING NOTHING?
    WHY ARE TAXIMEN NOT BEING ARRESTED?

Rant/

I am just after being seriously inconvenienced by about 100 taxi drivers who decided to hold a wildcat strike on O'Connell Street, so as to maximise disruption to the city. No notice of this was given, and there was as many gardai standing about as taximen. Many of these gobdaws had come up from Waterford, Tipperary etc to cause disruption in our city.

What I want to know is why do the police allow these people to cause havoc with a deliberate no-notice protest? Why was there not an order to disperse called out - and if needs be, followed by a baton charge? Over an hour of my time on a two-way trip was lost thanks to these wastes-of-space :mad:

Was anybody else on here illegally inconvenienced?

One final thing, these sheisters were all protesting against the Lisbon Treaty - I am definitely voting for it now :pac:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

Most taximen knew this was occuring last week, we just didn't tell you....

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Were they walking down the queys holding up the traffic? Was wondering what that was all about..

Nick

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭Eoineo

They parked on either side of O'Connell Street so that the traffic couldn't move. AFAIK the Gardai had to close the road.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tipsy Mac

Why are the vehicles not being towed away and seized, why are the drivers not getting baton charged and told to fcuk off out of Dublin to where they came from.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 380 ✭✭ODS

Tipsy Mac wrote: »
    Why are the vehicles not being towed away and seized, why are the drivers not getting baton charged and told to fcuk off out of Dublin to where they came from.

Exactly.

Compare this to the heavy-handed approach taken by the gardai issuing tickets to the few motorists who have passed through the bus gate at College Green... Many of those who have passed through College Green since the bus gate was introduced have done so inadvertently - whereas these muppets have deliberately set out to break the law and cause as much trouble to others :mad:

Why do we pay gardai if they don't uphold the law?

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

from what i can make out the taxi drivers have been on strike for the last year except when the bus strike was on, they stopped moaning then and decided to take some fares.

is it any wonder they are not making any money - in order to make money, they need to take fares but they seem to take more pleasure disrupting the whole city.

the amount of confused tourist i seen this morning trying to get in to taxis but were told to bugger off - very clever

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭kcools

Outrageous. I will be lucky to get home before 8. Just dont understand why the gardaí dont just start towing and impounding their vehicles. Would have had a bit of sympathy for them before, not any more. B@stards.

• Registered Users Posts: 840 ✭✭✭yknaa

Unreal! Anyone know when it will finish? Perhaps it is just for morning and evening rush hour? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭lightening

They never learn lessons, do they They have done this before and it did not go down well with the public at all, all it did was cause outrage and annoyance. I will be curtailing my taxi use from now on.

I don't know what makes them think their trade (as they call it) is so much more important than anyone else's trade that is going down the swanny.

As for them asking people to vote no, that doesn't surprise me, Shinners, Ganley, Pro-lifers, Coir, Libertas.... now the taxi drivers, says it all, vote yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,945 ✭✭✭trout

What action or reaction are the taxi drivers looking for ? Does anyone know ?

I'm not being smart, I'm just wondering what they are actually hoping to achieve ... is there a concrete objective ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭blahblah06

we were hoping for a stop on licences been given out but this doesnt seem to be happening bar the introduction of a new test so now we are just settling for people not to be able to use taxis on a part time basis.

Its simply not fare, how are we supposed to survive in this world when people with normal jobs go out the evenings and weekends to take work from us?

Ive no prob in new drivers coming into the business once there full time and genuine drivers. Lets be honest these part timers havent a breeze were there going most of the time

lightening wrote: »
    They never learn lessons, do they They have done this before and it did not go down well with the public at all, all it did was cause outrage and annoyance.

did u not hear the taxi drivers speak on rte. they apolgised to everybody for causing the troubles as its the only way they can get the dail to listen

Hundreds of taxi drivers marched through the centre of Dublin this morning in opposition to the deregulation of the industry.

They say immediate action to address the issue is needed.

The drivers marched from Parnell Square to the Department of Transport on Kildare Street, where they handed over a letter demanding the licence cap. They then marched on to the Commission for Taxi Regulation office on Fitzwilliam Square.

AdvertisementOrganisers of the protest want the commission to stop issuing new taxi licences, as they say there is not enough work for the number of drivers involved in the industry in Dublin.

They say both the taxi regulator and the unions are to blame. They say the union has allowed deregulation to continue - with a severe impact on trade.

The group of drivers want a moratorium implemented on the issuing of new licences. They say a full examination of the industry is needed during the moratorium.

Some drivers claim that despite working a full week they are not earning the minimum wage. They have said the large number of taxis has led to a reduction in standards and an increase in dangerous driving and rows on ranks as drivers fight over fares.

It is understood that, while the demonstration has no official union backing, union leaders approve of the march.

Taxi Regulator responds

The Taxi Regulator says any moratorium on the issuing of new taxi licences is a matter for the Minister for Transport.

In a statement following this morning's protest, the Commission for Taxi Regulation says it does not have the power to regulate the numbers of plates that are made available or the way they are distributed around the country.

The Commission says it recognises the right of drivers to express their views but cannot condone actions that cause inconvenience to customers or other motorists.

It says any decision in relation to the number of taxi licences in circulation must be made by the Minister and the Oireachtas, and any alteration of this position is a matter for elected representatives.

The Regulator says the best interests of the industry are served by having a level playing field for all participants. The statement says it is the Commission's primary function to ensure a fair balance is struck between industry and consumer needs.

Dublin Airport protest

Another demonstration of taxi drivers was organised at Dublin Airport this morning.

The protest at the main roundabout at the airport was organised by the trade union SIPTU.

Branch organiser Jerry Brennan said it marked the launch of a campaign to secure the right to an appeals process for the taxi industry.

He claimed that, under the Taxi Regulation Act 1993, drivers had no right to appeal decisions made by the Commission for Taxi Regulation.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,032 ✭✭✭ParkRunner

No sympathy for the taxi drivers, it doesn't take a whole lot of skill to become a half decent one. If they charged a fair price then Im sure the industry would be thriving but when it costs about 10 times what it would on public transport for the same trip i know where my money will be going. Why not hold a protest up in Merrion Square where the government are rather than in the centre of the city.
    In Spain I happily tip the drivers cos they charge a fair price and the taxi's are always clean and the drivers are polite.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tipsy Mac

blahblah06 wrote: »
    we were hoping for a stop on licences been given out but this doesnt seem to be happening bar the introduction of a new test so now we are just settling for people not to be able to use taxis on a part time basis.

Its simply not fare, how are we supposed to survive in this world when people with normal jobs go out the evenings and weekends to take work from us?

Welcome to the real world, the days of a cosy cartel while in bed with the govenment are long gone. What your trying to argue is the same as Superquinn or Dunnes Stores protesting because LIDL and ALDI arrived in Ireland in the same over supplied market, it's tough $hit, if you don't like it move to some communist country where such controls on market supply exist.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 frank33

The reason the garda are doing nothing is most of them are also taxi drivers.

Also fireman..school teachers...prison officers...postmen..accountants
    chinese students.....law students....doctors...dentists...politicians
    asylum seekers....etc etc

Tipsy Mac wrote: »
    Welcome to the real world, the days of a cosy cartel while in bed with the govenment are long gone. What your trying to argue is the same as Superquinn or Dunnes Stores protesting because LIDL and ALDI arrived in Ireland in the same over supplied market, it's tough $hit, if you don't like it move to some communist country where such controls on market supply exist.

that's fare enough but you wouldn't understand unless your in our situation mate. Were not asking for a Cosy cartel as I stated I've no problem with new entrants as long as there full tine and not part time which the regulator is agreeing somewhat but there hands are tied by government. Once the gov get there 6500 per cab why would they bother to do anything to help people in this country no matter what career there in.

At the end of the day people who are not working can sign on. We can't and were trying to protect our livelihood and family future. There is plenty of family men taxi drivers can you imagine how hard it must be right now.

All were asking is for a break just like a lot of other people are doing to. You would do the same if you or your parents were going threw it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭Nolanger

Will there be a riot later on or will it all end peacefully?

Due to continue until minister of transport gets in touch. Cabs will keep swapping places while others go home for rest

• Registered Users Posts: 4,373 ✭✭✭Dartz

I thought better of it.

I'm taking the train home. Bastards.

Fair dues to the taximan who has come on to defend the indefensible.

The irony is until today I actually agreed with taximen's cause - as is all too often the case in this country, we went from one extreme to the other with no regulation, and as such, my opinion was the original drivers got a raw deal. Not anymore am I inclined to listen if this is the way the message is made.

I am also all up for legal protests, and no better place than O'Connell Street - provided citizens are advised in advance.

The priority in terms of any regulation must be to ensure that law-abiding citizens are not ambushed from going about their daily business, as I was today.

Bugger the taximen and their selfish, illegal all-day protest that was aimed at maximising inconvenience to everyone else. Baton charges is what the gardai must do in future for bastards like this - and confiscation of any illegally parked cars.

Again I contrast the heavy-handed policing of bus gate, and I also note the heavy-handed baton charges of the students with Reclaim the Streets a few years back; they were just kids having a bit of fun and smoking spliff - whereas this lot maliciously set about choking city centre business. This is where a quick baton charge would have been applicable - so why aren't the coppers doing their job? Who was the head officer in charge and why was this tolerated - or is it just easier to allow this to happen, while the boys get the overtime for standing around? :mad:

• Advertisement

I note with disgust other posters saying this is still going on.

WHY THE BLAZES AREN'T THE GARDAI ENFORCING THE LAW???

We had both lanes blocked and reduced that to one lane to allow people on the buses to get past so were not heartless.

Regarding the gardai. Were allowed to protest like everyone else and because of the sheer volume of cars it's the only way we can get the attention of the government by doing this

Do you know whats great about deregulation...not having to stand in town till 5 in the morning waiting for a taxi like you had to just a few years ago.

Absolutely no sympathy for the drivers. You're not brain surgeons, lads. Nothing more than a VERY expensive lift is all you are.

We had both lanes blocked and reduced that to one lane to allow people on the buses to get past so were not heartless.

BOLLEX.

That's why my first bus trip had to divert and my return trip was terminated on O'Connell Street?
    Regarding the gardai. Were allowed to protest like everyone else and because of the sheer volume of cars it's the only way we can get the attention of the government by doing this

Certainly you are "allowed to protest like everyone else" - provided like everyone else, you give notice if you intend to block the street. This has not been done - and hence this selfish protest is illegal, unlike "everyone else".

The only attention malicious, disruptive law-breakers like this deserve is the swift and full application of the law.

Taximan says "it's the only way we can get the attention of the government"; believe me there's many ways of getting the government's attention.

It is my full intention to get onto the TDs and city councillors for my area so as to establish:

1) what senior garda was the officer in charge who allowed this to go on,
    2) how much has it resulted in payments of overtime to gardai,
    3) and what assurances can law-abiding citizens and businesses be given that the taximen will not be allowed special status to break the law like this again?

I advise others to do the same.

Well that's a lie because we've done over 10 protests and requested a response from minister of transport and have heard nothing.
    We tried our best to not cause so much traffic but I have to say the guards traffic plan was a disgrace. The detours they had were insane.
    Your right bout the overtime for the gardai. Why are the gov not coming forward to speak with us but are happy to pay the gardai? Because they don't give a flying u know what about anyone in this country

• Registered Users Posts: 14,993 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

I agree that licenses are given out willy nilly but holding the city to ransom isn't the way to do it. I'm lucky that I live within walking distance of work but the missus isn't so fortunate and has to get two buses. She was late coming home and in a foul mood. W*nkers, thanks alot.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭lightening

did u not hear the taxi drivers speak on rte. they apolgised to everybody for causing the troubles

I hear you about the part time ones, it's a bad situation with greed in mind. but, sorry, you are showing pure disrespect to Dubiners trying to get through the city. Things are hard enough for everyone. I have had to be dynamic and retrain, so do all the builders laborers, the printers, the originators, the carpenters, the sparks.... all of us. This is hitting us all and you standing in everyones way to bring attention to you yourselves, costing people money, time and hours not seeing their families will cause contempt. Just like it did the last time, you shot yourself in the foot. Please find a different way to bring attention to yourselves instead of alienating yourself from your customers.

Rojomcdojo wrote: »
    Do you know whats great about deregulation...not having to stand in town till 5 in the morning waiting for a taxi like you had to just a few years ago.

Absolutely no sympathy for the drivers. You're not brain surgeons, lads. Nothing more than a VERY expensive lift is all you are.

Your right it is great for customers which is what we like to hear but remember don't you be the one posting on boards in a few weeks saying got a taxi home and your man had no clue were he was going. Trust me it will happen

lightening wrote: »
    I hear you about the part time ones, but, sorry, you are showing pure disrespect to Dubiners trying to get through the city. Things are hard enough for everyone. I have had to be dynamic and retrain, so do all the builders laborers, the printers, the originators, the carpenters, the sparks.... all of us. This is hitting us all and you standing in everyones way to bring attention to you yourselves, costing people money, time and hours not seeing their families will cause contempt. Just like it did the last time, you shot yourself in the foot.

Once again when we get our response from the minister this will all be called off. So it's in there best interest to get in touch

• Advertisement

Your right it is great for customers which is what we like to hear but remember don't you be the one posting on boards in a few weeks saying got a taxi home and your man had no clue were he was going. Trust me it will happen

Hasn't happened yet tbh.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement