Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Flaming taxi drivers holding the city to ransom Ggrrrrr...

Options

Comments

blahblah06 wrote: »
    Once again when we get our response from the minister this will all be called off. So it's in there best interest to get in touch

And what if his response is a big FO?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

Once again when we get our response from the minister this will all be called off. So it's in there best interest to get in touch
    Well it's clear from what you've said that targeting commuters directly is your strategy and you want to cause maximum disruption. It's up to our politicians and police force to ensure that tactics like these are not rewarded. I'll be writing to my local TDs, anyone else affected should do the same.

If we give in to the taxi drivers with this form of protest it'll be some other lobby group next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,032 ✭✭✭ParkRunner

I think the people of Dublin should boycott taxi's for a week, a fortnight even, for doing this!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭lightening

You are passing the book. You are the ones blocking the roads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

We had both lanes blocked and reduced that to one lane to allow people on the buses to get past so were not heartless.

Regarding the gardai. Were allowed to protest like everyone else and because of the sheer volume of cars it's the only way we can get the attention of the government by doing this

Didn't you try this a few years ago?
    Started a meeting to the Phoenix Park and then blocked O'Connell St.
    People got home from work and watch an ambulance drive down the footpath as the street was blocked.
    I remember this, I don't know the exact year it happened but I'm sure other remember this.

Sure some taxi drivers had stickers with something like "I was at the Phoenix Park protest". Words to that affect.
    Today's protest hit commuters badly and guranteed news coverage, I'm sure that was the tactic, a low tactic as you are dragging the public into it instead of parking by the Department of Transport. Effective tactic though

I got a taxi home today, he knew about the protest. Got me home the fastest way but slightly route but not his fault, the south Dublin quays were jammed. And I gave my address and he knew a few different routes and gave me options. Fair play driver!
    Are the militant guys on O'Connell St equally as good?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭blahblah06

Rojomcdojo wrote: »
    Hasn't happened yet tbh.

It will though

And what if his response is a big FO?

So be it I'd except that if he had the decency to even approach us

hmmm wrote: »
    Well it's clear from what you've said that targeting commuters directly is your strategy and you want to cause maximum disruption. It's up to our politicians and police force to ensure that tactics like these are not rewarded. I'll be writing to my local TDs, anyone else affected should do the same.

If we give in to the taxi drivers with this form of protest it'll be some other lobby group next week.

I said numerous of times were not out there to cause the public heartache we simply want a response from government

It will though

If it's such a big problem though I'm sure I would have encountered it by now? Surely.

EF wrote: »
    I think the people of Dublin should boycott taxi's for a week, a fortnight even, for doing this!

Wouldn't be able to happen. You need us and lifes depend on us. A lot of taxis transfer blood and platelets remember.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

Your right it is great for customers which is what we like to hear but remember don't you be the one posting on boards in a few weeks saying got a taxi home and your man had no clue were he was going. Trust me it will happen

It already does - last time I was in Dublin, I got into a cab & asked the driver to take me to the Baggot Inn. He asked me where it was..... then he ended up going around half the city coz his GPS kept giving him the "wrong directions".

And he was a Dub.

Plus he tried to charge me the full fare to pay for his incompetence.

I have NO sympathy either - most Dublin taxi drivers are ignorant, loud & foul mouthed chancers who do nothing but whinge at you when you're in the car, about whatever is on their mind, from the state of the economy to the "bleedin' blacks sponging off the Welfare", to the bad weather, to their opinions on Lisbon etc etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 380 ✭✭ODS

Noel Dempsey is a muppet. Your lot are actually making him look good as all he has to do is not get in touch, and by negative definition, he leaves all the illegal protestors looking bad while he looks good.

The only response from the authorities these law-breakers deserve is full application of the law with arrests made - why is this not happening?

If it's such a big problem though I'm sure I would have encountered it by now? Surely.

Lots of people have encountered it just search for it. Maybe not have happened you but sure it's happened someone u know

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭BraziliaNZ

welcome to the free market economy lads. For years I had to walk all the way to Fairview or so to get a taxi on a Friday/Saturday night, doesn't happen in any other capital I've been to. Only since I came back to Dublin in April after a few years away I can get one when the bars shut, and it's great and about time.
    Why don't some of you cut your prices if you think you're not getting enough fares? You already charge outrageous prices as is. Charge less than the others and make it known on your car and I'll make sure I get in your cab.

Wouldn't be able to happen. You need us and lifes depend on us. A lot of taxis transfer blood and platelets remember.

Well now.. if ever there was a business opportunity for someone to start up.

mikemac wrote: »
    Didn't you try this a few years ago?
    Started a meeting to the Phoenix Park and then blocked O'Connell St.
    People got home from work and watch an ambulance drive down the footpath as the street was blocked.
    I remember this, I don't know the exact year it happened but I'm sure other remember this.

Sure some taxi drivers had stickers with something like "I was at the Phoenix Park protest". Words to that affect.
    Today's protest hit commuters badly and guranteed news coverage, I'm sure that was the tactic, a low tactic as you are dragging the public into it instead of parking by the Department of Transport. Effective tactic though

I got a taxi home today, he knew about the protest. Got me home the fastest way but slightly route but not his fault, the south Dublin quays were jammed. And I gave my address and he knew a few different routes and gave me options. Fair play driver!
    Are the militant guys on O'Connell St equally as good?

Sorry but I was not at the Phoenix park so can't comment.
    It's good to hear a good story at last. Your happy with his service as is what were aiming for. Were all sick of hearing customers get in our car giving out about drivers asking for directions asking to put addresses in sat navs etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,492 ✭✭✭MementoMori

The tragically pathetic thing about this is that if the taxidrivers had any clear awareness of realpolitik, they would clearly realise that this protest is simply harming any chance they might have had of actually achieving their aims.

In addition to annoying and inconviencing their customers , they are also irritating the rest of the general public. As such they have actually made it easier for the government to ignore their whingeing. If the government have to make a choice of pleasing he vast majority of people or pissing off the small minority of the taxi drivers, it's a no-brainer (even for this government)

Taxi-drivers seem to believe that their job is some sort of trade or craft. It is nothing or the sort. Taxi-driving is a low skill job with extremely low barriers to entry probably at an equivalent level to the most basic manual labour there is.

I'm hopeful that the Government actually do display some backbone and call their bluff. It would be a very positive sign that the government are not going to be held to ransom by the vast cavalcade of people saying "We know times are tough now but we're a special case and we shouldn't suffer."
    Sorry folks -everyone is going to suffer, everyone.

First thing tomorrow the government say "Sorry lads, ye've had you're protest and as we've already told you we're not going to do a damm thing about your issues. However you are currently being a public nuisance and actually harming the rest of the populace's ability to complete their jobs and earn their livings. If you want to continue your protest you can stand outside the Dail or somewhere without getting in people's way but if you are here in 30 minutes time, we'll be impounding your cars and arresting you for breach of the peace."

Well now.. if ever there was a business opportunity for someone to start up.

Well of you go. Would the business have access to bus Lanes to get these things quickly have over 40k drivers? Nope

• Closed Accounts Posts: 380 ✭✭ODS

hmmm wrote: »
    It's up to our politicians and police force to ensure that tactics like these are not rewarded. I'll be writing to my local TDs, anyone else affected should do the same.

Exactly the thing to do. As I posted earlier:

ODS wrote: »

It is my full intention to get onto the TDs and city councillors for my area so as to establish:

1) what senior garda was the officer in charge who allowed this to go on,
    2) how much has it resulted in payments of overtime to gardai,
    3) and what assurances can law-abiding citizens and businesses be given that the taximen will not be allowed special status to break the law like this again?

I advise others to do the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭F-Stop

Its simply not fare...

Freudian...

• Advertisement

Well of you go. Would the business have access to bus Lanes to get these things quickly have over 40k drivers? Nope

Maybe not, but at least the blood platlettes wouldn't have to listen to an earful of whinging for the journey.

Either way, a motorcycle courier would get there faster.

Taxi-drivers seem to believe that their job is some sort of trade or craft. It is nothing or the sort. Taxi-driving is a low skill job with extremely low barriers to entry probably at an equivalent level to the most basic manual labour there is.

that's the point we want those barriers raised to help with our livelyhooc and service provided

that's the point we want those barriers raised to help with our livelyhooc and service provided

If that happened, most of you would be out of a job.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭BraziliaNZ

so what you want driving listed as a bloody skill? you need more brains to work behind a till to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,032 ✭✭✭ParkRunner

If I was a taxi driver, a half decent one, I would go out of my way to promote a professional service like at least knowing where places are and be able to provide an efficient service at a competitive price but this protest will achieve nothing.
    There are better ways to sort out the taxi industry and it's through innovation rather than a protest every fortnight.

Maybe not, but at least the blood platlettes wouldn't have to listen to an earful of whinging for the journey.

Either way, a motorcycle courier would get there faster.

Nobody said u had to listen to that your entitled to a quiet journey if you so wish simply ignore or tell them to shut up or use a cab driver who u have had a good experience with before.
    Motorcycles wouldn't be able to manage the quantity we have to deliver let alone the way these things are boxed and packaged.

Now anyone else before I head to town

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

F-Stop wrote: »
    Freudian...
    damn you! beaten to it!

That was the most funny post this day

EF wrote: »
    If I was a taxi driver, a half decent one, I would go out of my way to promote a professional service like at least knowing where places are and be able to provide an efficient service at a competitive price but this protest will achieve nothing.
    There are better ways to sort out the taxi industry and it's through innovation rather than a protest every fortnight.

And that's exactly what I'm doing at the minute offering 20% off and 25% fir repeat customers and am in the process of advertising on my cab

If that happened, most of you would be out of a job.

Bingo which would leave the proper can drivers on the road

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 146 ✭✭buzzymam

Do you know whats great about deregulation...not having to stand in town till 5 in the morning waiting for a taxi like you had to just a few years ago.

Absolutely no sympathy for the drivers. You're not brain surgeons, lads. Nothing more than a VERY expensive lift is all you are.

Yes my husband and father of our 3 kids loves being a "very expensive lift home" while he breaks his ass 10 hours a day, 7 days a week to earn less than minimum wage. In the last 2 weeks, he has been robbed, verbally abused, threatened by scum bags and had numerous fares run out without paying. Sure he is having a ball! An easy ride in a low skilled job. No one looks past that....so many are intelligent, honest family men working out there trying to provide for their familys.

No one likes disruption, its a hassle and pain in a"s. They are being driven to desperation by useless unions and a government and regulator who dont have the manners and decency to meet with representatives and actually listen to whats goin on in the industry.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement