Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Flaming taxi drivers holding the city to ransom Ggrrrrr...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

blahblah06 wrote: »
    Public were never on our side since the beginning of taxis.
    We unblocked one lane. It's the govs attention we want

nah, it us just we can remember when we were left standing at ranks for hours, while youse coined it in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Irish Halo

Hard Larry wrote: »
    My God that is scandalous. Thats a euro for 250m. :eek:
    The figure you are looking for is €86+ an hour for the first 170secs
    And then goes to 1.03 per km after that or 36 cent per minute
    i.e. it then becomes a mere €21+ an hour or €42,120 pro rata (37.5 hours a week). I don't even earn that much and my job is neither unskilled nor badly paid.

When I lived in "Dublin", I lived in the sticks. My treatment by the delightful taxi drivers of Ireland (I'm talking before and after deregulation) made sure that I will never set foot in a taxi unless absolutely necessary, especially not in Dublin, this action has sealed that decision for me.

p.s. substituting fare for fair and fail for Dail is neither big nor clever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭confused-dazed

We were around the fail numerous of times so start for new strategy. You sit back and get screwed if u like u will be effected sooner or later
    typical taxi driver, tunnel vision. in case your dreaming please wake up and come into the real world. everyone is affected by whats going on.
    questions blah.
    (1)did anyone hold a gun to your head and tell you to become a taxi driver?
    (2) is it true that most of the taxi drivers that came in after de-reg are now striking/protesting to have it closed
    (3) if striking bus drivers blocked o'connell street the way you guys did what would your attitude be.
    at the end of the day
    you chose that profession.now your stuck with it , tough ****e.
    the riot squad should've been sent in. maybe with one or two of those water cannons from the north thrown in as well.
    taxi drivers have always been a law onto themselves and always will be until someone in government wakes up.

• Subscribers Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭IRLConor

From my point of view, the increase in taxi numbers has had the following effects:

Positive:
    • I can always get a taxi when I want one.
    Negative:
    • There's a very small increase in the number of drivers who don't know where they're going.
    • There's a very small increase in the number of drivers who won't shut up about "dem blacks, stealin' our jobs".

I'd count that as a massive win for the general public.

If the taxi drivers can figure out how to solve their problems without affecting my ability to get a taxi then I'll back them all the way. If all they want is a drop in numbers, then they can shove it. I've spent way too much of my life waiting for hours on a rank or walking miles to find a taxi to have any sympathy for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭blahblah06

Jumpy wrote: »
    No, because my job takes at least some level of skill. Its not something just anyone can do.

Really god I forgot everyone in the world knows how to drive

• Advertisement

Bambi wrote: »
    nah, it us just we can remember when we were left standing at ranks for hours, while youse coined it in.

And paid 80k plus for a licence.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

<snip>

Lol Irish I'd live to earn 21 an hour every hour.

Ps regarding spelling I'm using an iPhone and am out so sorry but it's not quite as easy to reply perfectly

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

Really god I forgot everyone in the world knows how to drive

ARGUMENT FAIL.

typical taxi driver, tunnel vision. in case your dreaming please wake up and come into the real world. everyone is affected by whats going on.
    questions blah.
    (1)did anyone hold a gun to your head and tell you to become a taxi driver? Nope never said they did
    (2) is it true that most of the taxi drivers that came in after de-reg are now striking/protesting to have it closed. Nope lots of cans before and after are protesting. I would nearly say most are before de reg as there still clearing plate loans
    (3) if striking bus drivers blocked o'connell street the way you guys did what would your attitude be. I'd love them to do it. Stand up for our rights
    all we want is the government to wake up as u say just like everyone else

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Lol Irish I'd live to earn 21 an hour every hour.

Ps regarding spelling I'm using an iPhone and am out so sorry but it's not quite as easy to reply perfectly

This is boards.ie not perfectspelling.ie!!.

No one is judging you on your spelling.

Work away.

/Wish I could afford an iPhone.

Jumpy wrote: »
    ARGUMENT FAIL.

Actually your wrong. Not everyone knowS how to drive. How do they become to drive. They learn just like every profession. God go away

Zulu wrote: »
    <snip>

Sorry mate but ur way off calculations

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

God go away

That's exactly what everyone in Dublin City is thinking, **** off home you lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 994 ✭✭✭LookBehindYou

frank33 wrote: »
    The reason the garda are doing nothing is most of them are also taxi drivers.

Also fireman..school teachers...prison officers...postmen..accountants
    chinese students.....law students....doctors...dentists...politicians
    asylum seekers....etc etc

GET YOUR FACTS CORRECT.
    Gardai cannot get a PSV driving licence while they are serving gardai,,,they can get a psv driving licence when they retire.

Ah Zulu at least say sorry for your bad calculations lol.

At least now u know were we stand wages wise

Jip wrote: »
    That's exactly what everyone in Dublin City is thinking, **** off home you lot.

Bump

In before the ban jib

I'd hate to be jib right now ! See, taxi drivers even think they're mods now, no wonder they won't leave the city.

However, if you did mean me, I've articulated my argument quite well in many debates on this website over the years on this issue, and will debate any point with respect to whoever made the argument I'm debating.

However as a resident of this city I feel, like the weak argument you lot make, I've no other choice but to use language I feel you best understand.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,408 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Anyone know if there are plans for more of this shiite on Saturday?

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

That's grand If u want to use that language u can but if you read the thread you will see a mod stated any abuse toward others and you will be banned.

Ignored

• Advertisement

Sorry mate but ur way off calculations
    Yea apologies, excel got me again damnit! I removed the offending misinformation.

Sorry about that.

Supercell wrote: »
    Anyone know if there are plans for more of this shiite on Saturday?

Were expecting word from minister today. If still nothing right now it will continue on until we get a response. I'd be suprised if the lads backed down.

Lol no bother Zulu

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

at the end of the day we may not be able to stop people having two jobs but how would u feel getting into a cab drivers taxi after they did 40 hours in there normal job. Would you feel safer doing this or safer if all cab drivers worked 40 hours and maybe even a tachograph finished. Someone will die from this long shift.
    So again why are you not protesting asking for stricter tests and for stuff like tachographs? If it really is so important to you.
    I would love to only work 40 hours and would gladly install a tacho.
    So you are saying you work over 40hrs? Have you no morals? you might get drowsy and run over a taximans barefooted child.
    IGives me and every other cab driver 20-30 hours a week to spend with the family just like everyone else does.
    I wonder would part timers quit there normal job to work full time with a tacho graph in a cab. Doubt it.
    Yes, "everone else" only works 40hours :rolleyes: Many people have to have 2 or more jobs to survive, many work well over 40hrs in their normal job, I know I do. I would expect many would not be taxiing if they were forced to do 40hrs a week, just like they would not do other part time jobs if forced into doing a minimum amount of time.
    DunLigger wrote: »
    Where before deregulation taxi income was propped by barriers to entry (€80,000 taxi plates) - the writing was on the wall once deregulation came in.
    And paid 80k plus for a licence.
    Did the government charge €80,000 for a licence? From what I remember it was analogous to ticket touting. People buy up tickets and resell at a higher price, touts buy from touts at inflated prices and sell on at even higher prices, investing in a gig which has overinflated values. Then more tickets are released and they are all left standing with tickets which have greatly reduced in value. They took a gamble and it did not pay off. This "barrier" of €80,000 was imposed by taximen on other taximen. It was like investing in bank shares or property, there were obviously risks and the €80,000 price tag showed how seemingly cosy they thought they had it.

Ah Zulu at least say sorry for your bad calculations lol.

At least now u know were we stand wages wise
    Gimmie a min! :o

Back seat modding aye ? If you're worried about your job as much as you say you are don't be worrying about someone elses job, a mod will do what he or she deems appropriate when he/she sees the posts.

You're an unusual one alright, are you the only taxi driver in the country to be offended by 4 asterisks ? There was no personal abuse anywhere in my post.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Bump BAN

Ammended that for you ;) - Ban if you pull this sh*t here again.

Now, stop trolling - as I said earlier no one here will judge you on your spelling, but you will be judged on the content of your posts.

Everyone else, stop baiting him. My advice to you if you want intelligent discussion or answer's is to address your questions to Spook.

Spook, bail this guy out eh!.

Rub our protest is to get a response from the minister. When he gets to us then all partys can talk. That's all we want right now

regarding the 40 hours. Exactly if tacho or along the lines were introduced how many do u think would quit, a hell of a lot

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

Your right it is great for customers which is what we like to hear but remember don't you be the one posting on boards in a few weeks saying got a taxi home and your man had no clue were he was going. Trust me it will happen

This happened before deregulation as well. Whats new.

Lol maki u can't blame me for trying to defend myself. I've said all I can say. People will never be happy until they know were we stand if friends or family are in the game talk to them. Over and out

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 994 ✭✭✭LookBehindYou

Rojomcdojo wrote: »
    Nobodies forcing him to be a taxi driver.

You see people will never get behind the drivers. Why? Because they want more money at OUR expense. They want us to be waiting around all night so that they can have guaranteed fares.

Even if fares were halved overnight I'd still think they were too expensive. It's about a mile or two to my house from town. On my own this normally costs 12 euro. It's a joke. And its the REAL reason why people are taking less and less taxis.

State proper facts if you want to be taken serious

Strange, approx 4 euro gets you the first 1 km of your journey, and its approx 1 euro per km after that,, so it must be a country mile or 2 that you are talking about.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement